Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

CELL PHONE INTERNET ACCESS

DanaMc
Explorer
Explorer
CELL PHONE INTERNET ACCESS

This is designed to explain the basic approach to using your cell phone with your computer to connect to the internet. It is not intended to be an in depth coverage of the topic. Rather it is intended to help folks get acquainted with what is necessary and a suggested resource or two. The first step in this process would be to check with your cell phone carrier. Make sure there is no reason you canโ€™t use your phone like a modem. Some carriers can provide this for an additional fee.

It is the most cost effective way to keep up with your email and favorite web pages from nearly anywhere. In most cases you do not need a separate or different phone plan. You will use your plan minutes and can manage it to take advantage of the unlimited nights and weekends just as you might for conversations. Regular cell phone roaming charges may apply depending on where you are and whether your carrier has an agreement with the local service provider. This is no different than any other situation.

The key components needed are your cell phone, a special USB cord designed specifically for your cell phone. It will connect your cell phone directly to your computer via a USB port on the computer. Finally you will want software to manage the connection and compress the data being sent. There are many sources for this equipment. You can check with your local cell phone retailer. Radio Shack is a good source on this topic as well. But they will only be familiar with the phones they sell. I have been using SnapDialer. I have been very happy with the combination of Verizon and SnapDialer to connect to the internet.

Once your software is installed and configured for your internet service provider, you will only need to click on the Icon to launch your internet session. What service provider you use is not part of this topic. However there are many low cost or free email services such as Googleโ€™s Gmail, Microsoftโ€™s Hotmail, or Yahoo.

Below is some additional reading on this topic:

HOW-TO: Use your CDMA cell phone as a USB modem

Cell Phone Internet Connections

Cellular Fills Gap Between Hotspots

Looking for a boost in your signal? There are third party systems that can enhance your cellular signal and/or facilitate the use of a cell phone in your RV or your home. One example of this is Wilson Cellular Antennas & Amplifiers. Properly installed, these systems can enhance your range of coverage.

DanaMc
Matthews, NC
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 36GH

769 REPLIES 769

loneryder
Explorer
Explorer
For internet on the road and at home, I bought an AT&T Homebase on ebay for $25, went to an AT&T store and activated my service. 25g of 4glte a month for $60. It's my service at home also in a rural area. It's broadband fast and I haven't come close to using 25g in a month. They will also give you a phone number and you can plug in a phone for phone service free. I think Verizon has a similar plan.
The funny thing is AT&T is backordered on the Homebases but they are available on ebay.
For cell service I use Straight Talk, 10g a month for $45. They use Verizon or AT&T towers depending on your zip code. I'm on AT&T towers.

DesertMax
Explorer
Explorer
Ductape, my next escape plan has taken shape nicely and I'll be back to full time in a month.. I'm not crazy about the TracFone program and will need to focus on the best way to use my phone as a hotspot as you mentioned.. I'll check out Cricket.. I have noticed their ad profile seems to be growing...

I'll need a new phone too.. How about this one with a 5" display?

or maybe this one...

A big step up from my old G4 iPhone with a 3.5"...
Where ever I go, there I am!

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
Cricket is what I've changed to. GSM coverage throughout Mexico, US, and Canada with no roaming charges. I'm posting this from the Yukon using my cell as a hotspot.
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

Gene_Ginny
Explorer
Explorer
The A1332 Apple iPhone G4 is GSM and runs on AT&T towers.
Gene and DW Ginny
[purple] 2008 Toyota 4Runner 4.7L V8 w/factory towing option
2002 Sunline Solaris Lite T2363[/purple]

Reese Dual Cam Straight Line HP Sway Control

Proud member of the Sunline Club

DesertMax
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, my phone mod # is A1332 old g4..
Thinking of upgrading soon though...

Gene_Ginny
Explorer
Explorer
DesertMax wrote:
.. I have Tracfone right now ..
Traffone uses either Verizon or AT&T. If the last letter of the phone model is C it is CDMA using Verizon "prepaid" towers (non roaming). If the last letter of the phone model is G it is GSM using AT&T towers and may have roaming ability.
Gene and DW Ginny
[purple] 2008 Toyota 4Runner 4.7L V8 w/factory towing option
2002 Sunline Solaris Lite T2363[/purple]

Reese Dual Cam Straight Line HP Sway Control

Proud member of the Sunline Club

MrWizard
no they do not JAcK the towers

they are programmed, and the hardware will only work with certain towers

sprint and vzw can roam on each other
att and Tmo are gsm and can roam on each other

provided the phones have the correct PRL "preferred roaming list"

i believe tracfone is gsm and uses a ATT towers
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

DesertMax
Explorer
Explorer
I've always wondered which towers are being used as you drive about the country and which work the best? I have Tracfone right now but not sure who's towers they use or do they just act "unlocked" and jack the towers in the area no matter who owns them???

voyaginator
Explorer
Explorer
To boost the cell phone signal, I like the weBoost Drive 4G-S Cell Phone Booster, it has good reviews.
I put the android cell phone on the weBoost cradle and set the phone as a Wi-Fi hotspot. So, I can share internet access with laptop and tablet.
The cradle is connected via a coax cable to an external directional antenna.
I can reach cell phone tower a few miles away, provided that the antenna is high enough to have line-of-sight, which is necessary for the 2.4GHz and 5GHz for cell.
The antenna is mounted on a telescopic fiber-glass painter pole, light weight, does not take too much storage space when not in use, and it can go up to 30-feet. The other advantage of the pole is that I can rotate it, while looking at the signal strength on the phone and get the best direction for the antenna.
-----------------
http://voyaginator.com

fcooper
Explorer
Explorer
RavensFan24 wrote:
fcooper wrote:
RavensFan24 wrote:
Any recommendations for a cell signal booster? TEXT DELETED

Here are some reviews of the various systems that may help. cell phone booster reviews

I'm in the process of installing a Wilson MobilePro and I'm going to use the Wilson RV Trucker Spring Mount Antenna with it. I have used the MobilePro for one outing but only had the provided 3.5 inch antenna stuck to the inside of the motorhome windshield, and it appeared to help. (The 3.5 inch antenna is magnetic but there's nothing on the outside of my motorhome that the magnet will work with). I'm thinking the better outside antenna should improve performance. I've been using one of the Wilson units for the house for several years with good results.

Fred

Hey Fred,

How's that Wilson MobilePro working out for you?

Sorry it took me so long to respond to you question. I now have the Wilson RV Trucker antenna on the roof of the motorhome. Today I measured the signal strength inside my motorhome using my 3g motorola cell phone. I'm in a poor reception area. Without power applied to the Wilson MobilePro, I was getting -103 dBm signal about 6 feet away from the amplifier. After powering up the amplifier, this dropped to about -100 at 6 feet, gave -96 about 18 inches from the amplifier, and a whopping -83 with the cell phone laying on the amplifier. It does help. The MobilePro (3g)is designed for use inside an automobile, so it is not designed for bigger areas.

Fred
Fred & Vicki
St. Augustine, Florida

kjwashburn
Explorer
Explorer
A lot of great info in here, I was going to post some questions, but found all the answers.

RavensFan24
Explorer
Explorer
fcooper wrote:
RavensFan24 wrote:
Any recommendations for a cell signal booster? I have VZW and it works great in most places, but some spots while camping I have difficulty getting a signal. I work online, so I always need internet. Thoughts on the best cell signal booster? I was looking on Amazon and there are some that are $30 and others that are $300. I'd love some recommendations.

Side note: sorry if this has been addressed in this thread, but its 76 pages long, so I thought this would be the easiest method to get an answer.

Here are some reviews of the various systems that may help. cell phone booster reviews

I'm in the process of installing a Wilson MobilePro and I'm going to use the Wilson RV Trucker Spring Mount Antenna with it. I have used the MobilePro for one outing but only had the provided 3.5 inch antenna stuck to the inside of the motorhome windshield, and it appeared to help. (The 3.5 inch antenna is magnetic but there's nothing on the outside of my motorhome that the magnet will work with). I'm thinking the better outside antenna should improve performance. I've been using one of the Wilson units for the house for several years with good results.

Fred

Hey Fred,

How's that Wilson MobilePro working out for you?
2010 Chevy Tahoe & 2015 Keystone Bullet Premier 30'

Fuzion260
Explorer
Explorer
Keep in mind there are two types of cellular boosters, one for mobile use and one for stationary use. For my tow vehicle, I use a weBoost (was Wilson Electronics) Drive 4GM. It lights up the cab of my F250 and allows everyone in the truck the benefits of extending the range of the cellular towers by about 25 miles. When we set up camp, I have a weBoost Home 4G system that we use. It has a more powerful exterior antenna and amplifier and will light up a 500 sq ft area, so perfect for an RV. The best thing is that weBoost products will work with any carrier. Before I installed these, I often found myself disconnecting from the trailer and driving into town to try and get a signal. So long as I have a little bit of signal (you know the one where you have a signal but when you call it ends up dropping) I can now amplify it and get the best signal available.

fcooper
Explorer
Explorer
RavensFan24 wrote:
Any recommendations for a cell signal booster? I have VZW and it works great in most places, but some spots while camping I have difficulty getting a signal. I work online, so I always need internet. Thoughts on the best cell signal booster? I was looking on Amazon and there are some that are $30 and others that are $300. I'd love some recommendations.

Side note: sorry if this has been addressed in this thread, but its 76 pages long, so I thought this would be the easiest method to get an answer.

Fred
Fred & Vicki
St. Augustine, Florida