cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ATTENTION ALL MEMBERS _ NEW DOMETIC RECALL

LAdams
Explorer
Explorer

See the link below - we'll try to make this a sticky shortly replacing the one that's currently there...

NEW DOMETIC RECALL

LINK REPAIRED 8/17/08

2000 Ford F-250SD, XLT, 4X4 Off Road, SuperCab
w/ 6.8L (415 C.I.) V-10/3:73LS/4R100
Banks Power Pack w/Trans Command & OttoMind
Sold Trailer - not RV'ing at this point in time

HUNTER THERMOSTAT INSTALL

HOME MADE WHEEL CHOCKS

32 REPLIES 32

WaterDaisy
Explorer
Explorer
We were camped next to a trailer in Kentucky whose two door Dometic (don't know the model/serial#) caught on fire while they were off visiting another camper. By the time we noticed it, it took three fire extinguishers and the local fire department to put it out. A lot of damage - probably totaled their trailer. Bad business....!

Neal 05C210P "Daisy II"
"fast enough to get there.....slow enough to see" JB

01SOMZ
Explorer
Explorer
Here's what it looks like (in case you're wondering). All the sheet metal on the right is new.
-- Chuck

The new sheet metal is the fix, or was there more to it?

Chuck_S
Explorer
Explorer
Almost a year ago I posted this which quoted Dometic:
"The total population of these refrigerators potentially containing the defect is 745,574. Dometic estimates that as many as 0.005% may develop weld or boiler fatigue cracks which may result in a fire."

By my math .005% of 745,574 is 37.2 (thirty seven point two) refrigerators. Yeah, I'll have it checked and the fix installed, but I'm not losing sleep over this until then.
This week, during the camper's annual service, I had the recall work done. It's a $30 job, but covered by Dometic under warranty.

Here's what it looks like (in case you're wondering). All the sheet metal on the right is new.

BTW, the local Jayco dealer did this at no charge. Didn't bat an eye that our camper is a Roo!

-- Chuck
'06 Roo 23SS behind '17 Expedition out of Richmond
Our Photo pages

21SS
Explorer
Explorer
MINE is on the list.
I have arranged for the Mr. Fixit rep to come to my place and fix it.
Talk about customer service.

aftermath
Explorer II
Explorer II
Does anyone know if this is the same issue as the last recall? I had mine "fixed" two years ago under the first recall. I called the robot today and it took all my numbers and said that my unit was being recalled. So, does this mean that they don't have accurate records about those that have been fixed or that this a different issue?

It is Sunday so after listing to Mr. Robot for about 5 minutes I was told to call back when they are open. I will no doubt, get to listen to him again. Ugh!
2017 Toyota Tundra, Double Cab, 5.7L V8
2006 Airstream 25 FB SE
Equalizer Hitch

LAdams
Explorer
Explorer

original link edited to go right to Dometic website 8/15/08

2000 Ford F-250SD, XLT, 4X4 Off Road, SuperCab
w/ 6.8L (415 C.I.) V-10/3:73LS/4R100
Banks Power Pack w/Trans Command & OttoMind
Sold Trailer - not RV'ing at this point in time

HUNTER THERMOSTAT INSTALL

HOME MADE WHEEL CHOCKS

Rescue16
Explorer
Explorer
Well if you are in Virginia Beach I recommend you call Eric's RV instead of going to the dealer. I was lucky enough to win the Dometic Lottery and went by a local RV dealer which I will not name that said well if you drop it off 2 weeks from now on said date we should have it done by the next day!! Well reading the posts from fellow RV Net wmembers it sounded like it was a 1/2 hour fix so I called Eric's RV and they scheduled me and said when I get to they're facility just back in front of the bay doors but do not unhook. So yesterday I took my rig and pulled up and this very nice gentleman came out and 35 minutes I was back on the road again and the only reason it took that long is becuase I was talking the poor guys ear off about RV'ing. O did I mention I asked Eric the owner how much he would charge to look at my Hybrid and see if all the sealant was intact and next thing you know he is doing a full walk around my unit and not only did he not charge me but he gave some advice for free too!!!
Rescue 16 - United States Navy Retired and Proud
Lovely Wife Carla 🙂
The Crew Alicia and Johnathan :B
The Camping Dog Kamp Chaos 🙂
2013 Keystone Cougar 32RBK
2006 Ford F350 Crew Cab Lariat 6.0 PowerStroke

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
Called the local dealer right after I opened the mail re the recall and got in a couple of days later and it's done and off my to-do list! Yea!
Trailerless but still have the spirit

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 - new family
2007 Rockwood ROO HTT - new family
2003 Ford F-150
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Cubbie, Foxy, Biscuit and Lily - all rescues!

Bears_Den
Explorer
Explorer
I just found out mine qualifies also. Was wondering if anyone has had a mobile RV repair do the work saving you from taking it somewhere. The website did give a couple of mobile places in my area but was just wondering if they charged anyone a service fee or anything. I'm calling Monday morning but thought maybe someone out there already experienced this.Thanks!!
2014 Kodiak 279 rbsl
2017 Ford F-150 King Ranch V8
Equalizer hitch
Ford integrated brake controller
2004 Travel Lite 23S Hybrid Travel Trailer ( previous trailer )
1998 Viking Popup ( previous trailer )

No substitute for experience

va_jay55
Explorer
Explorer
We had ours done last week at the local KOA just south of Charlottesville, Va. The RV tech is a summer resident of the CG. He and is wife took care of it. He installed the shielding and she did the paperwork. Very professional. It took him less than 15 minutes to install the shield. The work is done from the outside.

The CG is a nice place. Reasonable rates. Clean and well maintained pool. And worth the $$$ since the RV tech will charge $40 to come to you around the C-ville area. It gave us a good reason to go camping.

If you live around the Charlottesville area, this may be a good place to get the recall work done.
TV: 2007 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Classic CCSB, LBZ
Andersen Aluminum Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection 2
RV: 2008 Cedar Creek 34RLTS

Rescue16
Explorer
Explorer
And I thought I was left out...No such luck I made the list too!!!! Not going to loose any sleep over being on the list until I get it fixed. Have ran it on gas to florida and back with no problem and I have hade it running non-stop for the last 2 months either on gas or electric. Guess I nees to give the local stealer a call lord they will be disappointed that I will not be giving them any money this time instead they will have to get the check from Dometic.
Rescue 16 - United States Navy Retired and Proud
Lovely Wife Carla 🙂
The Crew Alicia and Johnathan :B
The Camping Dog Kamp Chaos 🙂
2013 Keystone Cougar 32RBK
2006 Ford F350 Crew Cab Lariat 6.0 PowerStroke

ontariocamper
Explorer
Explorer
my understanding is this is a concern when using propane......is this correct as we are leaving in a few days and Not able to get in for repair before we leave???????????

ontariocamper
Explorer
Explorer
http://www2.dometicusa.com/recall.php#

link to check #s

cranej
Explorer
Explorer
This is an updated recall. I wasn't on the old recall but was on the new one.....and have had it taken care of.
2009 Coachmen Leprechaun (Class C)
Saturn Vue (toad)
DH (47) :C
me (45) :B
4 cats (Kashi, Lucky, Calvin and Hobbes)...who don't travel well (so they stay home)