cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Analog to Digital Transition FAQ

pulsar
Explorer
Explorer
  • What is the Analog to Digital Transition?
    The switch from analog to digital broadcast television is referred to as the digital TV (DTV) transition. In 1996, the U.S. Congress authorized the distribution of an additional broadcast channel to each broadcast TV station so that they could start a digital broadcast channel while simultaneously continuing their analog broadcast channel. Later, Congress mandated that February 17, 2009 (see next paragraph) would be the last day for full-power television stations to broadcast in analog. Broadcast stations in all U.S. markets are currently transmitting in both analog and digital formats. After February 17, 2009, all full-power television stations will broadcast in digital only.

Congress has changed the date to June 12, 2009. About 1/3 of the television stations have applied to the FCC for permission to go ahead with the transition on February 17. Although the FCC chairman has stated that they will not let all stations in a given market terminate their analog broadcasts, it is very likely that many stations will be broadcasting only digital signals after February 17.

Digital and High Definition are not equivalent terms. All High Definition signals are Digital. But not all Digital signals are High Definition. The mandated changeover is to Digital, not to High Definition.

• Why the switch to digital television?
    To free up portions of the broadcast spectrum for other purposes, such as public safety communications and advanced wireless services. Although less of the broadcast spectrum will be devoted to over-the-air television, because digital transmissions are more efficient than analog, there will be more channels available. In addition, the average viewer will have substantially better picture and sound.

• Who is affected?
    The mandated change is for all full-power over-the-air television stations. If you currently use a roof-top antenna or "rabbit ears," then you are affected.

• Satellite TV users already receive digital signals.

• In September, 2007, the FCC finalized the rules for cable companies relative to the digital changeover. Cable companies are required to provide all local broadcasts in analog, if they provide any analog service. Some companies will choose to go to all digital and could require you to rent or purchase a "digital cable set-top box."

• What do I need to do?
    • If you have digital TV(s), you do not have to do anything. A TV is digital if it has a digital tuner (ATSC). Digital TVs should have a label; for example, "Digital Tuner." Note: "Digital Ready" does not mean it has a digital tuner.

One way to tell if a TV is digital is to look at the remote control. A remote for a digital TV will have a period '.' or a dash '-' with the numbers so that one can enter 7.1, 7.2 (7-1, 7-2) etc.

• If you will continue to use an analog TV, then you will need a Set Top Converter box, a device that converts the digital signal to an analog signal. Converter boxes will be discussed below.

• Will I need a new antenna?
    No, not if your current antenna receives channels 2 - 83. This includes RV-style 'batwing' antennas. If you have an old-style antenna that connects to your TV with two wires, you will need to purchase two adapters, because the converters use coaxial cables. These 75 to 300 ohm adapters can be purchased at electronic stores, such as Radio Shack.

• Converter Boxes
    As stated above, a digital to analog converter converts digital signals received from an over-the-air antenna into analog signals that are required by "older" televisions.

• Converter Box Coupons
      The Government established a coupon program to defray the changeover costs to consumers. Each household can receive up to two coupons worth $40 each. The coupons can be applied toward the purchase price of "eligible" converters. The eligible converters range in price form $40 to $70.

You can apply for coupons at https://www.dtv2009.gov/

Added 1/25: The following notice is on the government coupon site:

Important: The TV Converter Box Coupon Program has reached its funding ceiling. However, coupon requests from eligible households will be filled as funds from expiring coupons become available. If you would like to apply for a coupon today and are eligible, you will be placed on a waiting list and will receive coupons an a first-come-first-served basis as funds from expiring coupons become available. Coupons will expire within 90 days or the date they are mailed

Although you may need the converter boxes for your RV, the program is for households that receive over-the-air transmissions. Thus, one should be careful in filling out the application form. You don't want to mention the cable or satellite TV you use at home. You must provide a home address, not a business address. (Note: I know of only one person that was, seemingly, turned down because he noted that he had cable service.)

• Which is the right converter to buy?
      The coupons will come with a list of "eligible" converter boxes. To use the coupons, you must purchase converters from that list.

Not all converter boxes are created equally. Some have RF "pass-through," which allows analog signals to pass through the converter box without being changed. This is particularly useful now, while stations are broadcasting both digital and analog signals. The pass-through should allow analog cable signals to pass through. It will also allow low-power (LP) stations, who are exempt from the digital conversion, to still be viewed on a legacy analog television. (There are hundreds of these transmitters, and some cities will remain almost exclusively analog because the whole town is served by LP transmitters.)

Not all remote controls are equal. Some will allow you to control features, such as on/off and volume of the television, as well as change the channels on the converter box.

Let's note here that your TV will be set to channel 3 or 4, depending on switch setting on the converter, and the converter box will be used to change the channels. It is the converter box that has the digital tuner. (Also, all of the converter boxes have analog Video and Stereo Audio outputs that can feed an external V/A input on a vast majority of analog receivers.)

• Installing the converter box in an RV
      Most of the converter boxes will require 120 VAC - the eligible boxes were designed for households, not RVs. There is one on the list specifically designed for 12V.

The connection sequence is:
        Antenna to distribution switch, if your rig has one.
        Distribution switch to converter.
        Converter to television.

antenna -> distribution switch -> converter -> TV

Note: Apparently, there is a great temptation to connect the converted box to the cable leading directly from the antenna. In most cases, not only will this not work it could damage the converter box. This cable carries power to the built-in amplifier.

Do you see the problem, if the converter box doesn't have analog pass-through? There is only one cable that runs from the TV to the distribution switch. How does the VCR or DVD signal reach the television? There are workarounds, but the analog pass through feature simplifies the connections.

• Multiple Televisions
      Unless you want to watch the same channel on all TVs, you need a converter box for each television. The setup for each TV would be the same as described above.

• Comparison of Analog and Digital Coverage Areas
    The FCC has issued a report showing the coverage maps for all full-service TV facilities, including 1,749 stations that have both an analog and DTV facility and 69 stations having only DTV facilities. The maps show each station's digital TV coverage as compared to its analog TV coverage (except for the 69 DTV-only stations) within each Nielson Designated Market Area.

Map Book of All Full-Power Digital Television Stations Authorized by the FCC

• Links to existing threads

TV Converter Box Review

HD Converter Boxes

DTV conversion

Home built HD antenna
2015 Meridian 36M
2006 CR-V toad
3 golden retrievers (Breeze, Jinks, Razz)
1 border collie (Boogie)
93 REPLIES 93

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
If the old TV worked fine with your present antenna, just get rid of the converter box and hook the antenna direct to the TV. Do a channel scan on your new TV and you will be good to go.
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN

punomatic
Explorer
Explorer
BettyBoop7 wrote:
I have a 2002 Winnebago that had an analog TV, I am getting a new TV. Do I need any accessory to make this work with factory antenna? In the past I used a digital converter. I know that will not be necessary. I just have a concern about antenna
If you have the typical batwing antenna, you should be fine. You might consider adding the Winegard Wingman. It increased the range of my batwing antenna. Happy viewing.
DW and Me
2016 Riverside White Water Retro 195
2014 Nissan Titan SL Crew Cab
Formerly, I used to work for the department of redundancy department.

Life in Black and Blue

BettyBoop7
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2002 Winnebago that had an analog TV, I am getting a new TV. Do I need any accessory to make this work with factory antenna? In the past I used a digital converter. I know that will not be necessary. I just have a concern about antenna

kellertx5er
Explorer
Explorer
I believe this sticky could go away and not be missed. After 8 years it would seem the "transition" period is over.
Keller TX
'19 Chevy 2500HD 6.0L
'09 Outback Sydney 321FRL 5er
SUPPORT TEXAS STATE PARKS

billyboy
Explorer
Explorer
ok, another question. can I record satellite tv from the satellite receiver after it goes thru the box of many buttons into my analog tuner recorder
09 winny adventurer 32h 33 ft towing 015 focus

MrWizard
yes .. many sub-channels are broadcast is SD format and at LOW data bit transmission rates
causing blocking artifacts and pixelation
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

tomjackson
Explorer
Explorer
It is new information that digital and high definition is not equivalent terms. All high definition signals are digital but not all digital signals are high definition. You can see a digitizing technology in HD broadcasting.

purchase hotbuns in hefty discounts

Everet
Explorer
Explorer
This article has good info & http://allabouthomeelectronics.com/over-the-air-ota.htmlHow to Videos for RVers on How to hook-up the roof antenna, digital to analog, find the broadcasters before you go on the road...... how to point the antenna for maximum picture quality and program etc http://allabouthomeelectronics.com/over-the-air-ota.html

mmiille
Explorer
Explorer
Even though these TV's are $400, I bought them for $80 on ebay. They were take outs from someone else's RV. Got a good deal and a great TV. Problem with these is they don't work on them. Throw away TV's. If something goes wrong they don't fix them when out of warranty. So I'll have to look for another then.
Martin & Cheryl
40 Foot 2009 Damon Tuscany 4076
Cummins 360, Hyundai Santa Fe
Full timing since 2010.

SirKnite
Explorer
Explorer
Rather then try to find a digital 12 volt unit I suggest you buy an inverter with the correct amount of watts for a small flat pannel digital tv and power it with a battery that is charged during the day using a solar pannel. This works very well and is not very expensive. Especially if you already have the tv. BTW some people are not aware that you can use a computer flat screen (you can buy used ones cheap) and a converter that will allow tv signals or other video to be sent to it. Last one I bought was about $120 and had a remote control.

mmiille
Explorer
Explorer
tazmangk wrote:
just wondered if anyone knows if they make a 12 volt digital tv?..I camp out in the woods at times and still would like to catch the news, weather etc without the noise of a gen set.

We have two Jensen 12 volt tv's. They work great but are quite pricey and reception is still a problem.
Martin & Cheryl
40 Foot 2009 Damon Tuscany 4076
Cummins 360, Hyundai Santa Fe
Full timing since 2010.

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
hotrod4x5 wrote:
In my experience, either works great, or not at all. There is no watching fuzzy channels with digital. It is also much better at night. When I was in Riverside, CA, about 50 miles from Mt Wilson, I got zero daytime reception, well, maybe one channel, that would cut in and out. At night I got 7-8 channels with my batwing.
No surprise out there. There are places in Riverside shadowed from Wilson either by local foothills, or blockage from the San Gabriel ridge in the northern parts. AND some of the station antenna patterns don't tend to have a lot of gain in that direction, more favoring the OC. ๐Ÿ˜ž
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

hotrod4x5
Explorer
Explorer
In my experience, either works great, or not at all. There is no watching fuzzy channels with digital. It is also much better at night. When I was in Riverside, CA, about 50 miles from Mt Wilson, I got zero daytime reception, well, maybe one channel, that would cut in and out. At night I got 7-8 channels with my batwing.
Rodney Former Owner of: 2005 Laredo 29GS 2002 F250 V-10 Yamaha EF3000iSEB (and NOT a GS Member)

pulsar
Explorer
Explorer
tplife wrote:
tazmangk wrote:
just wondered if anyone knows if they make a 12 volt digital tv?..I camp out in the woods at times and still would like to catch the news, weather etc without the noise of a gen set.

Good luck, digital reception distances are not as far as analog, and that's with a good-sized antenna.

Here is what I posted about our first experience with digital OTA broadcasts.

In November, 2008, we spend a week at Huntington Beach State Park in South Carolina. Analog reception gave us 1 clear channel and 6 snowy ones. (That was without turning the antenna.) Switching to digital, we received 14 clear pictures and one that was breaking up. (Again without turning the antenna.) Turning the standard batwing antenna gave us 3 good analog signals and 15 good digital signals.

Several of the channels were from Wilmington, North Carolina. Wilmington is a test market for the FCC; they have gone completly digital, already, and are broadcasting at full power.

As the crow flies, Wilmington is 85 miles form where we were camped. Of course, this was all costal.

Tom
2015 Meridian 36M
2006 CR-V toad
3 golden retrievers (Breeze, Jinks, Razz)
1 border collie (Boogie)