Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Dinghy Towing: dolly towing vs toading
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing  >  All

> dolly towing vs toading

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
bbuecker

California

View Profile

Posted: 04/24/09 02:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm in the process of 'towing' a vehicle behind my motorhome. I've seen RVs toading a vehicle and others with vehicles on dollies. I'm sure there are pros and cons associated with each. It would seem that the dolly method would be lesser expensive way to proceed. Thoughts?

Bill & Cathy

Upper Lake, CA

View Profile

Posted: 04/24/09 03:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't know about the expense of a tow dolly, but the towing systems weren't hideously expensive, in my opinion. Even if they were more expensive, we'd have wanted to tow 4-wheels down simply from watching the hassle people have to go through when they use a tow dolly. We unhook the Toad, and we're done. With a dolly, you have to get your vehicle off the dolly, stow the vehicle, and then deal with getting the dolly stowed out of the way. Of course, if you own a vehicle that can't be towed 4-down, then a dolly would undoubtedly be less expensive than buying a different vehicle!

It's all a matter of personal choice -- whatever you choose is right for you.

Bill/Cathy
Good Sam Life Members, FMCA #F323639, Safari International, Thousand Trails, Safari So Good Club, Safari R Us Club
'02 Safari Zanzibar, 40' DP, 2 Slides, center entry, '03 Suzuki XL7

Triker33

Homestead, FL

View Profile

Posted: 04/24/09 03:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

It would seem that the dolly method would be lesser expensive way to proceed.

New tow Dolly's can cost from $900 to over $3,000 depending on what you want.

4 down could cost you from $900 to over $4,000 depending on what you want and vehicle.

Not all cars can be towed 4 down & not all cars can be towed on a Dolly.
More percent of people that tow, prefer doing it 4 down.

Larry Full Time Since 99
1999 34Q Discovery DP ISB 275HP 6 Speed Allison
DataStorm SatMax5 | VMSpc | Pressure Pro
14 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost Toad

Click here to see where I am

Goldencrazy

madison wi

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/24/09 03:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I towed my Prius on dolly for three years because that is the only way I could take it. Tow dolly was about 1600 bucks. It is a hassle pushing the dolly around and the harness gets dirty. Worst part was crawling under to attach safety chains. I could not figure out a way to shortcut that. It towed fine however and got the job done. I just purchased a Smart car which is only 1800 lbs. and can be towed four down. I had a Blue Ox setup installed. It works great and is easy to attach. !900 for the entire setup and install. So I think it depends on what you have to tow. If you are going to purchase just for towing I would get something I can flat tow. If your moho is large then a Jeep Grand Cherokee is a great option. If smaller like my BT Cruiser you may want to go smaller in the compact or sub compact and with manual transmission or an auto that can be towed four down such as some Chevy's and Saturn's.

Economical Handyman

S. California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/24/09 05:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After watching a friend deal with his tow dolly set up, I knew I wanted a tow-bar set up.

DeWayne & Judy
04 3810 Dutch Star
ISL 370
Frank's autoformer
01 Sahara Jeep-toad
Blue Ox Aventa II
F 374382
This is not the "GOLDEN-YEARS", it is the "RUSTY-YEARS" !

Rollincool

RI

View Profile

Posted: 04/24/09 07:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wny_pat

Western NYS

View Profile

Posted: 04/24/09 08:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't know, seems as if everybody on ebay is getting rid of their tow bars in favor of tow dollies? Whole bunch of folks over there claiming that lately.

“All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.”

Itchey Feet

Wyoming

View Profile

Posted: 04/24/09 08:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have done it both ways, my personal preferance is (tow bar).

My feet are fine as long as they are traveling.

Admiral

Upstate Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 04/24/09 08:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wny_pat wrote:

I don't know, seems as if everybody on ebay is getting rid of their tow bars in favor of tow dollies? Whole bunch of folks over there claiming that lately.

That's what I did, bought a used tow bar on ebay for $200, a used Brake Buddy for $500. I had to spring for a new base plate but installing it myself saved over half.

99 times out of 100, tow bars won't wear out from towing but they do bend when someone tries to back their toad.

That brings up another bennie for dollies, you can back them up.

2004 Damon Daybreak 2960F V-10
05 Honda Element LX

Compassion should be voluntary, not mandatory.

westernrvparkowner

montana

View Profile

Posted: 04/24/09 08:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4 down wins hands down for me. I own a park and watch people struggle with dollies all the time. That being said, a dolly is more versatile if you have several front wheel drive vehicles or want to tow a rental car (just saying, not suggesting) The one option I can totally rule out is a full trailer. This is only practical if you are a seasonal full timer (6 months here, 6 months there) The hassle of traveling with a large trailer behind a large motorhome seems to me to be almost unbearable. I get a few every year at my park and they are a big hassle even though I have sites long enough to hold them. You have to pull the RV far forward to have enough room to drop the tailgate to let the vehicle out, this puts all the hookups far away from the motorhome. The people then grouse about needing long sewer hoses, long electrical cords and they complain that the turns are tight? Well, with 90 feet of vehicle, of course it is hard to make turns in and out of sites. Nothing is designed with these type of rigs in mind.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing  >  All

> dolly towing vs toading
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Good Sam Club | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS