Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Open Range 5th Wheel Opinions
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Open Range 5th Wheel Opinions

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
cbruce41

South-central PA

View Profile

Posted: 07/24/09 07:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Anyone have an opinion on the Open Range fifth wheel units? Fit and finish, quality, durability?

Any input would be appreciated!

Anne and Bruce
2009 Tiffin Allegro, 35 QBA
2009 Jeep Liberty (toad)
Darling daughter, mouthy doxxies (Jag & Lexxie)

wittmeba

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 07/24/09 09:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Since you asked for opinions...

Ive hear nothing but good things about them. We have looked at them a couple times at our local dealer.

They seem very innovative and responsive with ideas based on what potential buyers would be looking for. They are different, but in good ways.

Some fear the pulley slide mechanism. BAL has been around for many years and proven reliable. This system apparently reduces overall weight too.

We arent sure about the cabinet colors, but they are still on our short list. We just sold our SunnyBrook Apr 2009 looking to upgrade for semi full timing.

NRA Member & supporter of the 2nd amendment - over 5,000,000 strong

Firefox® 26.0.1

Log home images - Updated 05/19/2013

sista

Kentucky

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/24/09 11:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have had my Open range 398RLS for a month and have camped 3 times in it! I think there are little things people find on anything new whether its a house, truck or camper and its no different with the Open Range. I think the cabinetry is high quality and I really like the two tone (in person but not so much on line or in pictures). I am pleased with the assistance from the manufacturere when I have had questions and needed a part for replacement. It pulls like a dream. I haven't owned any others so I can't compare for you but I know I am happy with mine.

I am getting ready to go in for a service call because the inverter they put in is too small for my residential refrigerator. I will report back how that goes.

Check out this thread http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/21901343.cfm

Dandy Dan

Findlay, Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 07/24/09 11:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you would search for Open Range you will find quite a bit of info about them. Ours is #162 and we have had it over a year now. Have been to the dealer once for little things and the factory is going to fix a problem that cropped up no problem. Our first outing with the 5er was 1 week after we picked it up we went to Branson Mo. which was 700+ miles 1 way for the maiden voyage. Unit just went back to the dealer last week. This year we have completed 4 rallys and also went to the big Good Sam rally in Albuquerque. The only problems encountered was the rally itself and nothing with the unit. It pulls great, the slides work fine and it is the better of the 2 finers we have owned. I don't beleive you can go wrong with this company. They offer a 2 year full warranty and also have some of the best insulation ratings in the industry. Good Luck and Happy Camping. If you have specific questions you can either e-mail me or PM me if you wish.
There is an ongoing thread Open Range 5th Wheel owners going on right now that you might check out.

dan218b@tds.net
Dan and Lori Branson
Anna 1 (the rescue) Sarah (the rescue)
and Beau (waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)
2005 Dodge QuadCab 2500 4x4 Hemi
2009 Open Range 337RLS
RV.Net Ohio Rally Member

mwebber78

New England

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/24/09 02:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looked at one locally that was used, I have no idea what number the unit was off the line but it says it's a 2008 model. I liked the painted filon and color choices. A few obvious things I noticed was the slide seals were torn/damage at each top corner where the slide cables pentrated. Also, it appeared that at least on the large slide some serious adjustments had been made to the slide as the screws holding the eyelet for the slide cables had stripped out the heads.

Another thing I noticed was that the slide floors had exposed edges on the flooring outside. If you look at the slide floor outside it looks like the raw edge of structurewood painted black. Most camper's cover the slide floor with a plastic pan or a sheet of the tarp material. Not a big fan of exposed raw edges of wood, painted or unpainted!!!

The inside seemed to have held up nicely and was decorated in pleasant colors and furniture had held up well, no wear visible. One thing I felt was a bouncy floor, but this is typical on many "lighter" units.

These were my observations and this unit may have been #1 off the line so perhaps they have made changes.

2013 Jayco Eagle 334RBTS
Disclaimer for the daft: Don't confuse my opinion with facts.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Open Range 5th Wheel Opinions
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Good Sam Club | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS