Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: ProPride Hitch Questions
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> ProPride Hitch Questions

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
grittyoctopi

Salado, TX

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/09 07:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Anyone know how much a Propride 3P Hitch weighs?
Also how does it stack up against Friction control hitches like Reese or Equalizer? I know it is much more expensive, but is it worth it?

cliff

StuartW

Virginia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/07/09 05:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Please read the sticky at the top of this forum regarding the Hensley Arrow - it is more or less the same hitch as the ProPride as both were designed by the same person.

As to weight, I'd allow about 150# for the weight of the ProPride if it's built anything like the Hensley - I used to own an HA and it was a beast. Remember that this weight will be added to the tongue weight of your trailer for any tow vehicle GVWR loading calculations!

Any attempt to answer your question regarding the relative merits of this hitch will no doubt start another flame war - I'm surprised that Dear Moderator hasn't already closed this thread and chastised you severely!

StuartW
2004.5 Dodge Ram 3500 Laramie
CTD HO 4x4 SRW LWB QC / Leer 100XQ cap
2005 HR Savoy SL 26RKS

txtaco

Richmond, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 08/07/09 06:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would go with 100 pounds not 150.... To me its worth it, why have a $30,000 tow vehicle and a $25,000 trailer with a $300 hitch holding them together. You're only as strong as your weakest link. The difference I noticed was worth it for me - not even mentioning how much easier and faster it is to hitch and un-hitch. Just my .02

2004 GMC 2500HD CC 6.0/4.10 4x4
2008 Jayco G2 32BHDS
Pro-Pride Hitch

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 08/07/09 06:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you have a 30' and longer trailer it's is worth it. Yes it is a lot of money. I had a hard time biting the bullet. In the end my HA has made a dramatic improvement over my prior Equilizer

07'Duramax dually,12'Open Range 399BHS
Hawkshead TPMS,Hensley BD3,Killerbee exhaust brake
Blue Ox Bedsaver,air bags w/compressor,Garmin RV760
Arvika pin box bike rack,Bak Flip G2 cover
5500 Onan LP,EMS-HW-50
14'Porta Bote w/8.0 Nissan
Vu Cube 2000,Splendide WD

Ronnie R

Priceville, Alabama

View Profile

Posted: 08/07/09 07:03am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Is it worth it? In my opinion it was to me and my wife. Not only will she ride with me she will drive.

1990 R2500 Suburban
2009 Jayco Eagle 314BHDS

Beltone Magoo

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 08/07/09 07:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Go to www.myrvtalk.com and I bet you can get an answer to any questions you have about a ProPride hitch.

Doug & Connie
2001 Holiday Rambler Imperial
2001 Subaru Forester toad

Wes Tausend

Bismarck, ND

View Profile

Posted: 08/07/09 01:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The rear portion of the ProPride may be slightly lighter than the Hensley, but the fully adjustable front stinger portion weighs a bit more than any of the pre-off-set one piece stingers from the Hensley. Since original Hensley owners can swap stingers free-for-life, (but pay shipping 2 ways) this may be OK, but 2nd owners face buying a proper Hensley stinger and paying shipping one way. All subsequent Hensley owners will repeat the experience. The ProPride extra stinger weight may be worth it's adjustability to many folks, every time you swap either tow vehicles or campers.

Are they worth it? Check out this video. My 2 cents.

Wes

Days spent camping are not subtracted from one's total.
- 2000 Excursion V-10 - 2000 F-250 CC 7.3L V-8
- 2004 Cougar Keystone M-294 RLS, 6140# tare
- Hensley Arrow - Champion 4000w/3500w gen
- Linda, Wes and Quincy the Standard Brown Poodle

willald

NC

View Profile

Posted: 08/07/09 08:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

K5OIT wrote:

Go to www.myrvtalk.com and I bet you can get an answer to any questions you have about a ProPride hitch.

Yep, and then some. That forum is frequented by the owner of ProPride, and he posts there very regularly. Post a thread there asking a question about the hitch, you will get answers very quickly.

I do know the ProPride is slightly lighter in terms of weight, than is the Hensley. They're both heavy, though, and as already said, you can plan on the hitch adding 'bout 150 'lbs or so to your tongue weight. However, also keep in mind that a conventional hitch (Equalizer, dual cam, or just WD setup) is going to weigh quite a bit, too. As I recall, Hensley weighs about 70 lbs more than a conventional hitch setup, so ProPride is going to be slightly less than 70 lbs more than a conventional setup.

As far as 'is it worth it?'.....LOL, I'm not even going to go there and start that debate again. Do a search on here, you'll find enough threads, discussion, etc. on that subject to keep you reading for days, LOL. Bottom line is, only *YOU* can answer the question, of whether it is worth it or not to you.

Will & Angela
2 children that love camping, Stephen & Allison
2012 FR Georgetown 351DS on F53 (V10) Chassis
Our Rig

kysurveyor

ky

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/07/09 08:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pro-Pride is worth it. Customer service is awesome. The owner, Sean Woodruff, puts his cell phone number in the instructions, and answers when you call him (which I have. He quickly returns emails, as well. Hitching and unhitching are much easier, and require much less strength. My 90 # 14 year old daughter can completely hitch and unhitch the trailer by herself. Makes a bif difference in towing. Even when I had a 23 foot TT, it made a big difference in towing. I bought the Pro-Pride while I owned the 23 footer, so I can compare traditional vesus pro-Pride hitch. The price is hard to swallow, but the safety and ease of towinng are worth it, IMHO

Keith, Suzy two teenagers and a dog
2005 Seneca 35 GS Super C
2006 Dodge Durango with 5.7 Liter Hemi

Gman22

Burlington, Ontario

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/07/09 07:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Agree with all of the previous posters, it made a big difference for me with 30'+ behind a shorter wheelbase SUV.

"why have a $30,000 tow vehicle and a $25,000 trailer with a $300 hitch holding them together" sums it up well for me too. Not to mention the contents of the TV (you and the family) which is priceless.

It will add some tongue weight no doubt but other than that, it's well worth it.

2011 KZ Spree 220KS
2006 Ford Expedition Ltd. 5.4 L/3.73

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> ProPride Hitch Questions
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Good Sam Club | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS