Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: fiberglass vs aluminum siding
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> fiberglass vs aluminum siding

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
joeprinter

Fayetteville, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/13/09 04:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I prefer fiberglass, have had both, the aluminum tends to have deeper darker streaks in the siding, the any minor ding will dent rather eaisly.

"2012 Forest River 360 DS"
"Ford V-10"
"2013 Toyota Corolla on Tow Dolly"

newcamper51

North West Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 08/13/09 07:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have had both and prefer the fiberglass due to the look and ease of cleaning. I can't seem to keep the aluminum clean. Wish my current tt had fiberglass.

Fishn101

Seattle WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/09 12:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Had both --- Fiberglass all the way for me.... Much easier to care for and keep it looking like new.

2007-Cameo 30RLS - 2003 Chevy Silverado LT,Lg Bed,2500 HD, xtCab,4x4,DuraMax /w Alison Trans, Cab Controled Ride-Rite Air Bags, Cab Controled Rancho Shocks. BW Hitch 20' Northriver Boat

Mike Up

NW Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 08/19/09 05:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I prefer Aluminum and found the floorplan I wanted, in Aluminum. Most laminated Fiberglass trailers are light weights with shorter ceilings. They usually only shave a few hundred pounds off but give up more robust build quality, have lower payloads as well as ceilings. Each to their own.

Reasons here: 1 2 3 4

Have a good one.

* This post was edited 08/19/09 05:52pm by Mike Up *

2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH
29'1" bumper to hitch, 8' wide, 6'9" ceiling, 5050# unloaded and ~6500# loaded.

2012 F150
5.0L, CC, 5.5' bed, 3.73 Locker, 4x4, TBC, 360 Hp/380# Torq, 9300# Tow/1050# Hitch Rating, 1582 lbs payload. Great TV!

Campers and Trucks

ata3001

Niagara Falls, NY

View Profile

Posted: 08/19/09 04:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, by now you've read all the opinions & the pros & cons from both sides. What it really comes down to now is what do now think is best in YOUR mind & go for it. You'll be happy with either choice you make. As you can see, some prefer fiberglass while others prefer aluminum. No one can really decide for you. It's just been proven here. You now need to get one or the other & start finding out for yourself which one YOU prefer.

Ron & BJ
2008 Dutchmen Freedom Spirit FS180 (24 FT) w/full factory dark tinted glass & front window
2007 Dodge Ram 4 WD, Quad Cab, Big Horn Edition, 5.7L Hemi w/tow pkg, 3.92 LSD, Prodigy

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 08/19/09 03:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Take a look at boats for long term comparison (they have been made in both materials since the late 1950's). My dad has a 40 year old alluminum boat. The paint is faded a bit, but otherwise is as good as new. Drive by a boatyard and look at fiberglass boats from the 1970-80's (even into the early 90's) to see what fiberglass will eventually look like.

If you keep up regularly with washing and waxing (no more than 2-3 months between waxing), fiberglass will stay nice for decades. The problem is if you let it go, the gel coat gets chalky and then it becomes harder and harder to bring it back to shiny and clean. Ultimately you can repaint, but that probably wouldn't make sense economically unless you are dealing with a high end motorhome.

If you only want to wash and wax it a couple times a year, go with aluminum as it fades a bit but then holds steady pretty much forever.

I wouldn't rule out fiberglass for a good enough deal, but I prefer low maintenance and light weight of aluminium.

Snip:
Durability of the finish over 15 or 20 years is the only thing that's unproven with fiberglass. I've owned both and prefer the look of fiberglass better. It's really a personal preference but I'll just say one more thing.

Tammy Mike & the Bilge Rat (AKA: Diego)
Ford F250 7.3L
1997 Sunnybrook 27' 5er
1995 Gemini Sail Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

canuk camper

Fort Saskatchewan, Alberta, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/19/09 08:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My next trailer is going to be fiberglass...not a question or any doubt in my mind about it! This past Friday, a severe hail storm hit our campgroung in Brandon, Manitoba...and let me say, the hail stones were huge and did a lot of damage. The front of my TT looks like it's been towed to Alaska, up and down gravel roads, mega times. My trucks right side, roof and hood has lots of dings, but my fiberglass truck cap, not a mark....so here is what I observed.
Any TT that was metal, got the snot beat out of it and the fiberglass units had no marks on them. There were many units that had there vent covers, propane tank covers and sky lights smashed out...but the fiberglass units...not a mark on the skins. The camp ground looked like a war zone, so now, my truck and trailer have a story to tell and I'm not afraid to get a scratch or two on them now!

Lucas874

Kingston, NH

View Profile

Posted: 08/19/09 06:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My Jayflight had aluminum, my Eagle has fiberglass. I prefer the fiberglass, both for looks and ease of cleaning.

2009 Jayco Eagle 324BHDS
2011 Ford F-350 CC Lariat 6.7

albertaborn

Calgary

View Profile

Posted: 08/19/09 09:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have 2 trailers (1 alum. 1 Fiber)

we had major hail storm. In storage lot= (ALL)including mine) metal,alum,sided trailers are going to have to be resided, 15.
all windows that are ordinary glass were busted

all other fiber trailers including my new one were okay.

my old metal one is only storage now. I can't sell it, as windows are busted out and have to reside, not worth it.

north trail 31 QBS

Arkansas Camper

Arkansas

View Profile

Posted: 08/19/09 06:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I prefer the fiberglass. My new Dutchmen with Aluminum sideing was damaged by hail the first month after our purchase. We sold it and purchased a Skyline Malibu with fiberglass siding. The salesperson beat on the side of the fiberglass sided trailer with no visible damage. I was impressed but informed him that I wanted the similar trailer next to it after his demonstration.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> fiberglass vs aluminum siding
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Good Sam Club | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS