Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class C Motorhomes: Which roof?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Which roof?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Jtroop1

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/09 07:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The lack of information contained in the owner's manual gets frustrating. Can anyone tell me if I have a EPDM or TPO roof? From what I've read on the forum, both of these are rubber roofs. Can I assume since my rig is a 2007 that it is TPO?

2010 Fleetwood Encounter 32BH

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/09 07:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would not consider a TPO roof to be rubber, or at least rubber as usually thrown around here. but I think I would have asked that question before buying it.
bumpy

GrumpyandGrandma

CIncinnati, OH

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/09 08:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You should be able to pull that info up on their website.

Grandma in front of her retirement home..
She lets Grumpy drive!!

skipnchar

Topeka or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/09 08:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TPO is not rubber it's vinyl. EPDM is rubber. From a USERS standpoint the main difference is that the rubber is VERY sensitive to what kind of chemicals it comes in contact with and vinyl is quite forgiving when folks feel they must put "something on it" to "protect" or "condition" it. These are the same chemicals that often "ruin EPDM"

2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

Westronics

Redmond, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/11/09 09:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

skipnchar wrote:

TPO is not rubber it's vinyl. EPDM is rubber. From a USERS standpoint the main difference is that the rubber is VERY sensitive to what kind of chemicals it comes in contact with and vinyl is quite forgiving when folks feel they must put "something on it" to "protect" or "condition" it. These are the same chemicals that often "ruin EPDM"

According to Alpha Systems, a maker of TPO roofing:

"DO NOT USE SOLID OR GRANULATED CLEANERS, as they will mar the natural finish.

DO NOT USE ARMOR-ALLĀ® OR OTHER OIL OR SOLVENT-BASED CLEANERS, as they will leave a slick surface and possibly damage the membrane.

Alpha Systems recommends using Murphy's Oil SoapĀ® with a soft nylon brush or sponge..."

Basically, the cleaning and care instructions are the same. Use non-granulated, non-petroleum products.

TPO is a sort on next-generation roofing to EPDM. It does not create the "chalking" of EPDM.

However, from a consumer's point of view, once you have made the purchase the care is pretty much the same.

EPDM is, as far as I know, cheaper, and thus is more common.

2002 Jayco Greyhawk 24SS, Camera, ScanGauge, Inverter, Airtabs, Portabote, SeeLevel II, Tireman valves, Xatnrex Battery Monitor, Aero-flo vent, Trik-L-Start, XPS Rib, Chains, Lil' Stanker, Be kind to septic systems Ford: 1-800-444-3311. RV Tires

Jtroop1

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/09 10:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I bought the rig used. As this was my first RV, I did not know much about RVs, much less to inquire about the roof type. I read somewhere that manufacturers went to TPO roofs recently. I'll keep searching but so far no luck in finding what Forest River used on their Sunseekers.

Westronics

Redmond, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/11/09 11:02am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jtroop1 wrote:

I bought the rig used. As this was my first RV, I did not know much about RVs, much less to inquire about the roof type. I read somewhere that manufacturers went to TPO roofs recently. I'll keep searching but so far no luck in finding what Forest River used on their Sunseekers.

Since you already own this MH and the care is the same, I am not sure it matters whether it is EPDM or TPO.

Still, if you want to know, why not ask the source? An internet search found the following info, which is not on the Forest River web site, oddly enough:

Forest River Ph. Number, 574-389-4600
Forest River Parts Dept. 574-262-2212
Rockwood & Flagstaff (219) 533-5934
3010 College Ave
Goshen, IN 46517

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Which roof?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Good Sam Club | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS