Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Hybrid Travel Trailers: wet beds
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Hybrid Travel Trailers

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
dogshowgirl

arkansas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/11/09 08:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Anyone know the best way to dry out WET mattresses?? Mine got wet during the bad rain last week (while it was parked, so I didn't expect it), then when I went to set up this weekend at the dog show both ends were soaked- as was the dinette cushion, the linens I had folded and sitting on the dinnette, the pillows... needless to say, a very upsetting discovery. Obviously I need to find out where it's leaking from (seals at both ends apparently) but my more immediate issue is drying the mattresses. Is just air drying good enough? I'm worried about mildew...

dogshowgirl
Shamrock T-17 HTT
wild and crazy toydogs!

LEN Retired

SW Michigan ( Two Paws )

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/09 08:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

try a dehumidifier, worked for me once. Bill

06 GMC 2500HD Duramax, 2007 Holiday Rambler Alumascape Suite 32SKT,3 slide 5th wheel " SEMPER FIDELIS "
Jasmine, 2006-2013 RIP.

Chuck_S

Broadview Hts, OH, USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/09 11:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How old is the Shamrock 17? Seems like some major leaks!

TV antenna on the roof over the dinette? Water in light fixtures? Open window?

Once water gets into the roof laminate it can come out almost anywhere.

-- Chuck

'06 Roo 23SS behind '07 Expedition out of Cleveland
Our Photo pages

kknowlton

southeast Idaho, formerly IL/WI border

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/12/09 06:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If they're wet mostly on the surface, not deep into the mattress, a hand-held hair dryer works well. Had to do that with our PUP after we had put down in a heavy rainstorm - there were wet spots when we opened it up 2 days later (after the rain had stopped).

skipnchar

Topeka or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/09 09:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nothing beats good old fashioned sunshine for drying a wet mattress and add a little breeze and it's even better.

2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

bikendan

Napa, Cal.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/11/09 09:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

air drying is fine. just put them somewhere with good air movement.

the dinette getting wet should be from somewhere other than the bunk ends. could be window leakage or vent leakage.

Dan- Firefighter, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP), 2007 Chevrolet Avalanche LS, 2007 Rockwood Roo 23SS w/Equalizer and Prodigy, and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

aepowell

Sherman,TX.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/13/09 03:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On our trip to Branson we put the matresses on the dinete bed just in case it rained (it did). We had never driven in the rain with it. If it did leak I didn't want to have wet beds when we got there. I got just a few drops inside and it was a hard rain for several miles.

Anthony & Margie Powell
Sherman,Tx.
2001 Jayco Kiwi 23B
2013 Ram Slt Lonestar(yea its got a HEMI)

Chuck_S

Broadview Hts, OH, USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/13/09 05:03am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Is this the older Shamrock 17 with the U-dinette? That'd explain a wet dinette cushion from a leak in the bunk end door. The later models with a side dinette would need a roof leak to wet that area.

Forest River has a retrofit kit for the door seals. You've seen them mentioned for the Roos. Shamrocks are the same trailer and will use the same seal kit. If the seals are leaking contact Forest River. They've been providing the kit free of charge without regard for warranty.

Gotta be detail oriented closing the bed doors! Anything projecting into the seal area will allow water entry. We have straps on the mattresses that secure them to the doors when closed. I noticed one sticking out once. Glad I found it. (Actually it was "Hey, Chuck, is this strap supposed to be flapping out here?" )

-- Chuck

dadmomh

Jackson, TN

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/09 12:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ditto on sunshine for the best drying. Then maybe a good spray with Lysol. Agree with Chuck on the leaks - sounds like a big problem. Are you SURE you got all the tentage completely inside on the last close-up? Even a small pinch of material can let in plenty of water. Hope you can track down the problem with a minimum of trouble.

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604
2003 Ford F-150 with Blue Ox 1000
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Foxy is our new camping buddy.
Our rescued sisters, Biscuit and Lily, are now 9 mo old!
Support responsibility....Spay/Neuter!

dogshowgirl

arkansas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/12/09 01:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am suspicious of the canvas-catching cause, I had a friend work on it over the week and he's not as familiar with the closure as I am- it's possible he didn't get it closed well enough. I've had it out in worse storms than that, with less water. No signs of leakage at any of the roof seams, any of the vents/windows/etc- I think the water came in at the seals, ran down to wet the mattresses at the hinge (the majority of the water is at the middle of the mattresses, where they bend), then ran out and down onto the dinette cushion that runs along the bed (thus soaking up into the bedding folded there). I'm also quite suspicious that it wasn't in as good a shape as I thought when I bought it... live and learn. I didn't take the mattresses out to air today, it's still raining! Oh for a dry day or two....

separate question for someone- I check subscribe, but don't get the messages when replies post here- that seems quite hit and miss. Am I doing something wrong?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Hybrid Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Good Sam Club | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS