Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Propane bottle security project
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Propane bottle security project

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
luv2skyski

Stockbridge, Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/10 07:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Finally got rid of the lock on my propane bottle compartment door (a major no-no). It was quick and simple "keeping the honest people honest" solution at the time but not a good idea from a safety standpoint.

So I came up with different quick and simple idea (based originally from Spott's idea):
[image]

The main component of the "honest people staying honest" is a Hi-Lok fastener.

For those not familiar with the Hi-Lok it uses and internally wrenching (allen key) holder in the shank of the fastener to keep it from turning while tightening (ideally it's an interference fit when installing the fastener thus preventing rotation while tightening):
[image]

[image]

Bottom of Hi-Lok fastener:
[image]

Then I removed the threaded end below the nut thus removing the anti-rotation device:
[image]

Plenty of clearance to slide the tray in and out:
[image]

Happy camping.

Dave.

2004 Northern Lite 10-2000RR, 1999 F250

luv2skyski.com

Northern Lite Owners

Truck Camper Enthusiasts Map

4 out of 3 people have trouble with fractions.

bka0721

Republic of Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/10 09:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Is there a lot of theft of propane bottles?

Would a bicycle cable lock threaded through the two bottles, making it really difficult for someone to carry it away, for the casual thief, make just as an impact?

Looks good, just the same.

skipnchar

Topeka or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/10 09:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MOST of the time it's not honest people who steal LP tanks. It's those cooking meth.

2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

RCMAN46

NorthWest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/07/10 09:25am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bka0721 wrote:

Is there a lot of theft of propane bottles?

Would a bicycle cable lock threaded through the two bottles, making it really difficult for someone to carry it away, for the casual thief, make just as an impact?

Looks good, just the same.
I use the bicycle cable lock. Then when I have a tank in the back of the truck to be filled I can use it to lock the tank to the truck. When it is in the bed of the truck is when I believe I am most vulnerable.

mowermech

Billings, MT

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/10 09:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I, too, wonder about the frequency of propane bottle theft. Is it REALLY something to worry about?
Nice use of Hi-Locs, but why not use the standard collar? Once the self-torqueing nut is twisted off, most people would have no idea what to do.
For that matter, use a standard bolt, and upset the threads on the end so the nut won't come off.
But, hey, nice installation, whether it is warranted or not, and even if there are other ways to accomplish the same thing.
Nicely done!

CM1, USN (RET)
2002 Fleetwood Southwind 32V, Ford V10
Daily Driver: '06 PT Cruiser Turbo
Toy: 1999 Dodge QC SWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X4
Other toys: a pair of Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

bka0721

Republic of Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/10 09:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is why I like the Truck Campers Forum; I learn something all the time. Better yet, the group is industrious and does a lot of their own work, rather than ask where they can find someone to pay to do it.

Working in rural and wide open spots in the west, I have learned one thing, when you are looking for a key, you don't have it. Since the master lock shown is not that solid, would not a combo master lock serve the same purpose and provide that access when a key is not available, like in an exigent circumstance?

Jumbo Jet

Ozark Mountains, Arkansas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/10 06:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Having an older Lance without the slideout propane bottle tray, a thief would look for easier pickins before trying to remove the LP bottles from my Lance 1030.

2008 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD 4x4 SRW - 2007 Lance 1055 - Torklift Tiedowns, Stableloads, Derringers, Pigtail - Hellwig Anti-Sway Bar - Rickson 19.5" wheels - Michelin XRV tires - Lance Cabover shocks, 2003 Keystone Laredo 29BH

RJ's RV

Washington

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/10 10:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bka0721 wrote:

This is why I like the Truck Campers Forum; I learn something all the time. Better yet, the group is industrious and does a lot of their own work, rather than ask where they can find someone to pay to do it.

Working in rural and wide open spots in the west, I have learned one thing, when you are looking for a key, you don't have it. Since the master lock shown is not that solid, would not a combo master lock serve the same purpose and provide that access when a key is not available, like in an exigent circumstance?

I like the combo lock idea. And I might use a coated bike cable.

RJ

2007 40ft Country Coach Allure 470
Towed: 2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland

sleepy

Oak Ridge,Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/10 04:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have to say, in the last 50 years I don't remember a Propane bottle being disconnected and stolen from a truck camper or any other RV for that matter.

I would personally follow the fire code.

In the event of a fire or explosion... this might affect an insurance settlement...

... I'd rather file a claim for a lost propane bottle than be denied a claim for a lost camper.

Sleepy

2003 Lance 1161,/slideout/AGM batteries/255W Solar/propane generator/Sat dish/2 Fantastic Fans/AC/winter pkg
AirFoil, Trimetric, LED lights, Platcat vent heat

2003GMC K3500 LT/Crewcab/duramax diesel/allison/dually/4x4/OnStar/front reciever mounted spare

jim87vette

Arizona

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/10 11:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just ran my chain around my frame same result and access was easy in my case.. It will slow someone down or at least make them think about it and hopefully move on?

08 GMC 3500 Dually Duramax
96 Chevy 2500 6.5
05 Yamaha Rhino
04 Gearbox 335FS 5er 14k wet

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Propane bottle security project
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS