Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Rate the Jeep Wrangler as a toad
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing

> Rate the Jeep Wrangler as a toad

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Prev  |  Next
bacollins

Lawrenceburg, IN

View Profile

Posted: 04/25/10 06:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We've been towing our '99 Wrangler for 10 years, it has 80K on the clock and about 25K tow miles. Tows great, lots of fun, goes anywhere. I'm sure it will be following us around until we are done RVing.

'92 Itasca Sunflyer P series Chevy
'99 Wrangler Toad
'99 Cherokee Toad
'05 KTM 450 EXC
'85 Honda VF500F Interceptor
'92 Honda 750 Nighthawk

mchero

Concord, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/25/10 07:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo following me where ever I go. Base kit was an easy install. I installed the light kit myself. Blue Ox tow bar. Tows great, easy to hookup.
I have the 4.7l v8 and I get around 13MPG around town.
Oh, almost forgot, I have the trail rated medallion on the side!

Robert McHenry
Concord, NH.
2007 Fleetwood Discovery 39V
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Prior:1993 Pace Arrow 37' Dieselhttp://dieselrvowners.com/forum/index.php

mike brez

milford ct

View Profile

Posted: 04/25/10 07:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2001 Wrangler 5spd 4.0 Plows snow all winter towed the rest of the time. Fun Fun Fun goes anywere.

1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods

SRT

Head of the Lakes, MN

View Profile

Posted: 04/25/10 07:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We had a '95 Jeep Cherokee Country as a toad for a number of years. But ended up setting up my '98 Subaru Outback Ltd 5 speed. Has about the same ground clearance, rides much better plus gets better gas mileage. The only thing it lacks is a Hi-Low transfer box (for some reason the Australians can get one).

JohnnyT

On The Road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/25/10 07:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Moved from class A forum

SnoBear

Where Ever We're Parked

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/25/10 07:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We're in Moab, UT right now and if you look around our campground, I don't think there is anything but Jeep Wranglers as toads.

Brad in Moab for the moment ...

dav5942

Stuart, FL

View Profile

Posted: 04/25/10 08:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Would rate the Cherokee(not Grand Cherokee) as well above the Wrangler. We have both(Ruby)! The Cherokee is 1000 lbs. lighter, has more room, four door, etc. etc. Rock crawl with both also on our way to Moab with the Cherokee.

* This post was edited 04/25/10 08:33am by dav5942 *

2007 Newmar 42' Mid Engine w/Fatboy,Grizzly 550s-in Garage,Rubicon w/4" lift,MotorMetal whls,MickeyT Baja tires-Cherokee w/4"lift in tow, Hog Valley FL(a diamond in the rough)
2010 Part2

Alaska Fishing Newmar Mid Engine 2010 Sportfishing

TJDave

Eastern WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/25/10 11:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our rating: 10
We are in to Jeeps and offroading/sightseeing while camping so we are biased.

But other reasons could include. The Jeep is extremely reliable, light, easy to tow, comes stock with a ignition setting for towing, Rear seat easily removed or folded up for more storage space. Hard top for security and winter travel, soft top or no top & doors in the summers for boondocking, etc.

The bad: Poor gas mileage (I travel a motorhome though!) Everybody wants to ride in it and there is just not the room. (that could be considered a plus as well!)

Happy camping.

2006 Four Winds 5000 E-450 V-10
2004 Jeep Wrangler-modified for more fun

foosh1

Annapolis MD

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/25/10 11:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

noRVtoheaven wrote:

haddy1 wrote:

John95683 wrote:

The Wrangler weighs over 5000 lbs, according to the specs listed on Edmunds.com http://www.edmunds.com/new/2010/jeep/wrangler/101213732/specs.html. much more than the average Saturn or Honda. All toads need a braking system in most states. and you would be risking major liability if you got in an accident without a functioning brake system.

I don't know where they got that number. My 2007 4 door weighs about 4200# loaded. That is well above the "no brake" weight in any state.

I would rate the TJ an 8 because of limited space. I would rate the WK a 10.

BTW my 06 Commander weighs in at over 5K.

No state requires auxiliary brakes when towing a vehicle. If one looks at the context and definitions, the weight limits and brake requirements apply only to what my be defined as a trailer. There is no increased liability for not having an auxiliary brake. All stopping limits apply to trailers. This has been written about in both Motor Home magazine and Family Motor Coach. there are lists out of state requirements that appear to make trailer requirements apply to vehicle towing. They are wrong. Most are even wrong in some states with regard to Trailers. So they are totally unreliable. Get the requirements of your home state. They will be honored by other states as you visit just as other equipment requirements are honored such as emission control requirements. You don't have to change equipment requirements from state to state unless you are commercial.

The Wrangler curb weight is over 4000 lbs. It is small but heavy. It rides rough. All Jeep products are rated at the very bottom by Consumer Reports. I would give the wrangler a 2 as a TOAD choice. Maybe 1.9475.

Even though not required, it is advisable to have auxiliary brakes. They will only shorten stopping distance a little but will help on long downgrades.

I think you're wrong about the "trailer" technicality argument (e.g. a car is not a trailer, and various state laws only pertain to trailer weight). In a criminal or civil trial, where you are charged for not having a "trailer braking system" on your towed vehicle, I think you'll lose that argument virtually every time. When it comes to liability in an accident, your towed car will be considered a trailer, and you will be deemed negligent for not having the required braking system given your weight. I'd hate to be the one testing the law using that argument, and I think 98% of judges and juries would find you guilty of negligence and violation of the law, and in fact, you would be.

You are also completely incorrect about states honoring the towing laws of your home state. Unlike driver's licenses and registration regulations, you must honor the traffic laws in the state you happen to be operating in. That's like saying just because it's legal to turn right on red in your home state, you're allowed to do it in a state where it is not legal.

Lastly, you can't make a blanket statement about Wrangler weight. The latest generation is 1500-2000 lbs heavier than pre-2006 Wranglers. Our 1998 weighs about 3200 lbs. Everyone here seems to be talking about different years and generations hence the weights are all over the map.

08 Winnebago Journey 39Z, Cummins ISB 350 & Allison 3000MH
US Gear Unified Braking System, Blue Ox tow equipment
10 Wrangler Toad

mowermech

Billings, MT

View Profile

Posted: 04/25/10 12:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The "trailer technicality" is right there in the "definitions" portion of the law in many states. A towed motor vehicle is NOT, according to the LAW, a "trailer", and the "trailer brake laws" do NOT apply.
Any lawyer who would go into court and attempt to base his argument on something that is very specific in the laws of the state is an idiot and should be disbarred! If I were on the Jury, I would be unable to control my laughter!
Sorry, but in many states your "trailer technicality" argument just won't work, because the LAW IS just that specific!
The FACT is, in many states there IS no law regarding the use of brakes on a towed motor vehicle. In at least one statge where such a system is required, the installed system MUST be "approved by the Administrator". I have yet to see where any system has such approval. If YOUR system is not approved (therefore illegal for use), and you have an accident in that state, what will the Jury say?
good luck.

CM1, USN (RET)
2002 Fleetwood Southwind 32V, Ford V10
Toad 1: '06 PT Cruiser, Kar Kaddy dolly
Toy (and Toad 2): 2001 Dodge QC SWB, 360 Magnum, Auto, 4X4
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing

> Rate the Jeep Wrangler as a toad
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Good Sam Club | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS