Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Sealing the undercarriage plywood?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Sealing the undercarriage plywood?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
pasusan

PA

View Profile

Posted: 06/16/10 05:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The bottom of our TT needs to be resealed and I'm not sure what I can do. It is not enclosed and it is just plywood that was originally sealed with asphalt type stuff - maybe driveway sealer. Paint experts tell me I can't put paint over it - I can only use driveway sealer - nothing else will stick.

I tried enclosing it with coroplast, but after doing the front of the bottom we went on a trip and drove through the rain. Some water got in and was soaking into the wood. I realized we'd never know if there was a leak and if there was - the floor would rot out from under us so I tore that stuff off.

So I guess I'm back to driveway sealer. I was looking today at Lowes and they have a Rustoleum product for sealing driveways that doesn't have asphalt in it - it is made of recycled tires and supposedly goes on like paint. Oh - and it is low odor - unlike the asphalt stuff. I just don't know if it would stick as well as asphalt driveway sealer.

I really want our camper to last and am trying to do anything and everything to keep it up.

What would you do?

Trip Pics

"I'm out here to enjoy nature -- don't talk to me about the environment!" ~Denny Crane

Susan & Ben ~
84 Bronco & 90 Award Classic 23 joined with a Hensley Cub

midnightsadie

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 06/16/10 06:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wow! great question ,bet you get some realy good ideas , just wait you;ll find the answer ,good luck.

skipnchar

Topeka or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 06/16/10 07:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Coroplast is probably STILL your best bet. It's not hard to seal against moisture (though it obviously would not be water tight if you were fording streems etc.) Since YOU are inventing the means of attaching it, you can put as many inspection sites in as you feel are necessary. Mine has three inspection panels that can be removed to look around inside the belly.

2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

You can't take the Fisherman out of this Camper

Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/16/10 06:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'd use spray on (it comes in cans) undercoating. That stuff sticks to everything. It does drip if you spray a fairly thick coat so make sure you have a place where the stuff doesn't ruin your concrete floor/driveway if you have one of those.
On edit.... I think I would use a good wood preservative on it first,... and then after that dries well, the undercoating.

1960's: Tents.. 1970's: Soft top & Hard top P/U.. 1980's: 17' RV.. 1990's: 24' RV.. 2000's: 2002 Cougar 276EFS; 2005 Laredo 29GS; 2002 GMC 2500HD Ext Cab 4x4;(Nfld/Labrador-Yukon/NWT/Alaska-Gaspe', Que./Florida!!)

pasusan

PA

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/10 04:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can't take the Fisherman out of this Camper wrote:

I'd use spray on (it comes in cans) undercoating. That stuff sticks to everything. It does drip if you spray a fairly thick coat so make sure you have a place where the stuff doesn't ruin your concrete floor/driveway if you have one of those.
On edit.... I think I would use a good wood preservative on it first,... and then after that dries well, the undercoating.

Thanks for the ideas! The spray on undercoating is asphalt based too and I'm trying to avoid the awful smell... And... I'd love to put wood preservative on it, but was told nothing will stick and would just peel off. The original coating is wearing very thin, but I'm still not sure wood preservative would penetrate. Maybe I could try a small area and see...

pasusan

PA

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/10 04:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

skipnchar wrote:

Coroplast is probably STILL your best bet. It's not hard to seal against moisture (though it obviously would not be water tight if you were fording streems etc.) Since YOU are inventing the means of attaching it, you can put as many inspection sites in as you feel are necessary. Mine has three inspection panels that can be removed to look around inside the belly.

Thanks Skip! I also had inspection holes in the coroplast and everything was always dry when I checked, but then I just had to check the very front, so I made a slice and sure enough, it was wet. The way the trailer is made there really isn't a way to shim the coroplast away from the wood so it was applied directly - leaving no air space and the water was held up against the wood.

I can see where coroplast would be perfect if it was shimmed away from the wood, I just can't see how it could be done with our trailer. For instance the stabilizer jacks are attached right to the bottom of the trailer and bolt into the frame. Here's a picture of that:

{sigh} I do wish the coroplast would have worked. I spent a lot of time putting it on... Just can't have any moisture held in to rot the wood.

You can't take the Fisherman out of this Camper

Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/17/10 07:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pasusan wrote:

You can't take the Fisherman out of this Camper wrote:

Thanks for the ideas! The spray on undercoating is asphalt based too and I'm trying to avoid the awful smell... And... I'd love to put wood preservative on it, but was told nothing will stick and would just peel off. The original coating is wearing very thin, but I'm still not sure wood preservative would penetrate. Maybe I could try a small area and see...

I can understand not wanting that "awful smell". But I have used that undercoating quite a few times and the smell does go away once the stuff dries. It's worth a try... even if you do one small section and leave it for a week or two to see if you can still "smell" it.

Bob Vaughn

Seffner, Fl.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/19/10 06:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why not take it to a place that sprays the bed liners into pick up trucks......It is bullet proof.....I am having a senior moment so I cannot remember the name but will edit this message when I can remember it...LINE-X is the one I was trying to think of....

pasusan

PA

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/10 06:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After much research (mostly elsewhere since I've gotten very few responses here) it looks like I must stick with driveway sealer so I "think" I have decided to try the Rustoleum recycled rubber product. Nobody has told me it won't work and there is definitely a lot of stuff that people say won't work.

So - I'm going for it!

dfranks

Calgary

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/10 06:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

take it to a "ziebart: type shop and get it undercoated. I perxonally would spend a a few hours making sure everything was clean and free of loose debris.

I am sure it is not that much to get done, just a thought...

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Sealing the undercarriage plywood?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Good Sam Club | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS