Open Roads Forum

Print  |  Close

Topic: Flat Towing a Ford Fiesta

Posted By: bug512 on 06/17/10 09:07am

While attending a music festival this past weekend a representative form Ford was there with their new Fiesta. I can say i was pretty impressed with the new addition. My main purpose for this car would be commuting, I drive around 100 miles a day in New Jersey traffic. My thought is for future commuter car and possibly a car that we can tow if in the future we get a motorhome. They told me that their new automatic can me flat towed. Do any of you have experience with flat towing a automatic without using drive shaft disconnects and pumps?

Gene & Ginger
2004 Winnebago Adventurer 33V - Workhorse Chassis
And 3 of the best dogs George, Shadow and Gracie
Gene's Pictures
Gene's Website
Ginger's Pictures

Posted By: mowermech on 06/17/10 10:31am

I would want it IN WRITING, that towing would not void the transmission warranty.
It is always easy to say "Yes, you can!", but if it isn't in writing you may not have any recourse if or when the tranny blows up!
If it is in the Owner's Manual that recreational toiwng is allowed, or made part of the warranty, fine.
Otherwise, I don't believe them.

CM1, USN (RET)
2002 Fleetwood Southwind 32V, Ford V10
Toad 1: '06 PT Cruiser, Kar Kaddy dolly
Toy (and Toad 2): 2001 Dodge QC SWB, 360 Magnum, Auto, 4X4
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

Posted By: rdthompson1 on 06/17/10 11:01am

I have towed a Honda crv auto with no problem, however, like the other writer said. Get it in writing. You have to leave key in the ignition and switched on so as not to lock up the steering wheel. The battery does not last more than about 4 hours without dying unless a amall solar panel is hooked in. Some times I disconnected the battery, but then you get no braking from the brake buddy.

Robin & Anita
1999 American tradition
300HP Cummins / 6 Spd Allison
2015 Mazda cx5 w/dolly

Posted By: bug512 on 06/17/10 01:11pm

This is a article I found on Ford's website.
I know this is for their other vehicles I'm sure this documentation will be available for the Fiesta in the future.

Ford Link

Posted By: craig1959 on 06/18/10 07:34pm

Get a copy of the owners manual. Ford is pretty good at describing "RV towing" support. My 2010 Fusion was well documented.

Craig

2008 Class A Gulf Stream Independence Ford V-10, 2010 Ford Fusion toad, Blue Ox Aladdin, Brake Buddy Vantage, TST 507 RV TPMS

Posted By: jonrjen on 06/17/10 06:05pm

I would hold off until you get Ford to publish that the automatic can be towed 4 wheels down. I was also interested in the new Fiesta, but have been told that it could only be towed 4 down in the manual version. Also if you hold off awhile longer there will be a new SVT version of the car coming out. As well as a whole new Focus, which also can be had in a SVT version.

2013 Wildcat 353LS (on of the few out there)
2013 Ford SHO
2013 F350 FX4 CC PSD
Good Sam Roadside Assistance (it's a good thing to have)

Posted By: wny_pat on 01/13/11 11:25pm

cyoung2690 wrote:

curb weight of around 2300 lbs,
2578 lbs for sedan and 2537 lbs for hatchback according to FMCA. Maybe the manual tranny is lighter, but curb weight is always light. It is about 100 lbs lighter than the curb weight of my Focus, and I can probably figure at least 100 lbs more than curb weight. But I figure anything 2600 and under is excellent as a toad!

“All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.”

Posted By: wny_pat on 07/27/10 10:21pm

Two Jayhawks wrote:

Had a chance to see the new Fiesta last weekend- cute car DW likes it.
I did check the manual and only the standard is four-down towable. Unfortunately that probably eliminates it for us.
The only automatic I have is the motorhome and the garden tractor. My car and DW's car have manual transmissions. Only problem with the manual transmission car is that they are hard to find when its time to buy a new one. They are not in very many new car lots.

And the Fiesta would be a blast to drive with the manual transmission!

Posted By: Two Jayhawks on 07/28/10 06:57am

wny_pat wrote:

Two Jayhawks wrote:

I did check the manual and only the standard is four-down towable. Unfortunately that probably eliminates it for us.
The only automatic I have is the motorhome and the garden tractor. My car and DW's car have manual transmissions. Only problem with the manual transmission car is that they are hard to find when its time to buy a new one. They are not in very many new car lots.

And the Fiesta would be a blast to drive with the manual transmission!

Yea I'm kind of with ya as I grew up driving a stick and I sometimes miss it. DW is a terrible driver and for her she's better off staying with an automatic. Re the Fiesta, Ford seems to have put more resources to the auto (6 speed) vs the stick (5 speed). The auto actually gets better (slightly) mpg's than the stick.

2002 Safari Zanzibar
CAT C12 455/1550
Allison 4000
Saturn Vue w/ReadyBrake
FMCA# 390819

Posted By: DouglasC on 07/31/10 02:46pm

According to the Owners Manual (2nd printing) for the 2011 Fiesta, the car with automatic transmission can be flat towed if a certain procedure is followed, which includes disconnecting the battery. See:

http://www.motorcraftservice.com/pubs/content/~WOBFST/~MUS~LEN/41/11fstog2e.pdf

pages 227 & 229 under Recreational Towing.

Doug
2006 Jayco Greyhawk Model 27DS
Towing 2012 Ford Fusion Hybrid with Brake Buddy

Posted By: dirty1bird on 01/01/11 01:02pm

I have a new Fiesta. The manual states it can be flat towed with the automatic if the correct procedure is followed.
HOWEVER. It cost me $2100 to install a tow bar. I could have bought a decent tow dolly for that.

Posted By: cyoung2690 on 01/13/11 07:13am

I just purchased the Ford Fiesta Hatchback automatic and it is flat towable as documented in the owner's manual under recreational towing. 70 mph speed limit. At 38-40 mpg and curb weight of around 2300 lbs, this vehicle should be very popular as a toad.

Posted By: wny_pat on 06/18/10 11:43pm

craig1959 wrote:

Get a copy of the owners manual. Ford is pretty good at describing "RV towing" support.
aka "recreational towing" as found in Ford owners manuals.

Posted By: Two Jayhawks on 07/27/10 09:15am

* This post was edited 07/27/10 09:27am by Two Jayhawks *

Posted By: Don Don on 07/24/11 09:40am

johnbo wrote:

Hi

Ford Fiesta Flat Towing. As anyone flat towed the Fiesta a fair distance. Any problems ?

yep, mine exploded and came thru the hood. Towed it 2 other times with no problem. I assume something went wrong. Had it in N and Power off just as before. Came to pieces.

Posted By: ETnRvr on 07/26/11 08:41am

Don Don wrote:

yep, mine exploded and came thru the hood. Towed it 2 other times with no problem. I assume something went wrong. Had it in N and Power off just as before. Came to pieces.

What, exactly exploded and came through the hood? I have my 2011 Fiesta set up for flat towing and I am getting ready for a 4000 mile trip. I don't really want any surprises.

Posted By: DouglasC on 07/26/11 03:38pm

Would sure like to know more about what happened and what Ford has to say about it.

I just purchased a 2012 Ford Focus which I plan to tow 4 down (it has the same transmission as the Fiesta).

Posted By: cyoung2690 on 07/27/11 07:48am

I had the same problem, transmission flew apart. Ford replaced the transmission and did a great job. I was very happy with the way this was handled by Ford. They even asked that the old trans be sent to Ford Factory for analysis.

Ford suggested a little variation to the towing preperation. Because the transmission shifts electrically, they suggested:

With the car off, turn key to #2 position.
Shift to N
Turn key off. (You will not be able to remove the key)
disconnect car battery.
THEN hook up electrical from car to the motorhome.(No trickle charging or charge line connection to the car).
Start car within fifteen minutes after towing.

I followed this procedure on my last trip of 1700 miles and no problems.

The biggest concern seems to be that power is removed from the system to prevent the transmission from autoshifting into another gear.

Posted By: xbairman on 07/27/11 09:31am

I don't own a Fiesta but the folks that stayed next to me in Montana said they had a transmission go bad when they started the trip and Ford said it was their fault. The battery had gone dead and when they tried to start it they put it in park and it would not start so they put it back in neutral and continued the trip. Seems the electronics had enough to register park but not back to neutral so it blew. They called us after they had left Montana for Yellowstone and said the trans had exploded through the hood.
See my post on Ford Fusion.

Posted By: Don Don on 07/29/11 12:32pm

The trans exploded. Pieces of metal came thru the hood and radiator

Posted By: 5215 on 08/12/11 06:15am

I just towed my 2011 Ford Fiesta SE automatic on its first long
tow (200 miles), and noticed something worrisome. After an hour
of highway towing at 55 MPH, with almost no braking, I stopped
and checked the wheel temperatures with an infrared thermometer.
The front passenger-side brake rotor read 130C (266F); the front
driver-side rotor read 101C (213F). There's an auxiliary braking
system, but its monitor indicated it didn't activate. The brake
pedal was up as far as possible. The parking brake was off. The
tire pressure was 31 PSI cold.

Has anyone else made similar measurements?

Posted By: ETnRvr on 08/17/11 08:02am

5215 wrote:

I just towed my 2011 Ford Fiesta SE automatic on its first long
tow (200 miles), and noticed something worrisome. After an hour
of highway towing at 55 MPH, with almost no braking, I stopped
and checked the wheel temperatures with an infrared thermometer.
The front passenger-side brake rotor read 130C (266F); the front
driver-side rotor read 101C (213F). There's an auxiliary braking
system, but its monitor indicated it didn't activate. The brake
pedal was up as far as possible. The parking brake was off. The
tire pressure was 31 PSI cold.

Has anyone else made similar measurements?

I have been towing my Fiesta from Sevierville TN to Custer SD. I have been checking wheel temperatures by hand and have not detected any extreme heating after many stops and more than 1500 miles. I am using the Blue Ox Patriot braking system and have had no problems up to this point. I will be going on to Little Bighorn, Yellowstone Park, Grand Tetons, Centennial CO, Lake of the Ozarks and back to Sevierville over the next month. I intend to have the brakes checked by the Ford dealer when I get back. One note about the Fiesta; it is a GREAT choice for a toad. It has been a lot of fun to drive on the many excursions we have taken. The Needles Highway in Custer State Park was a joy to drive in this car.

Posted By: 5215 on 02/15/11 07:05pm

A question for those towing a 2011 Ford Fiesta automatic: have
you tried to tow without disconnecting the battery, and if so
what happened?

I ask because the owner's manual shows a fairly long procedure to
follow whenever the battery is reconnected, including driving for
10 miles or more. Plus all the radio presets and the clock
setting are lost.

If Ford says to disconnect the battery just to prevent it from
running down, that could be solved by using a charging line from
the motorhome.

Posted By: Hawkeyecj on 01/23/11 02:05pm

The auto Fiesta is really a standed tranny with two automatic cluches and it suppost too be flat towable

Posted By: FC on 01/24/11 07:30am

I have a document which my Ford Dealer gave me and its a Ford Motor Publication called " Four-Wheel Down" Towing and it states the 2011 Ford Fiesta is towable with the automatic transmission, but not with the standard transmission. Only requirement is keeping the speed to 70 or less.
Focus is towable with a standard but not auto
Fusion towable with standard or automatic with 2.5 l and 3.0 l engines
Fusion Hybrid is towable
Taurus/ MKS towable in automatic.
FYI

2003 Georgetown 346DS Ford F-53
2008 Pontiac G6 Toad, Blue Ox Aventa LX
Family Campers & RVers--- Come Camp With Us
www.fcrv.org

Posted By: johnbo on 02/21/11 12:32pm

Hi If you check the Remco application chart (Remco provides lube pumps for most automatic transmission) on there site they say that the Ford Fiesta automatic 2011 can be towed as is.(automatic only)
Also as for Flat Towing an automatic. We towed many different vehicles (Flat Towed) with automatic transmissons. We towed three different Saturns all automatics also towed three different Jeeps. As far as disconecting the battery we did not have to do that on any vehicle we ever towed. However on some models we did have to pull out a fuse. Even that can be made easier by installing a toggle switch on the fuse line and just shutting power off from that switch. We never had any problems with any of the vehicles. Naturally the only thing is if you do install a toggle switch on the fuse line you have to remember to shut it off. Im not very handy with mechanics so I always had a professional shop do any work that needed to be done. Usually when I would bring the car in to have the base plate and electrical done I would have them look at the battery issues. Good luck the Fiesta looks like it would be a fun towable.

Posted By: johnbo on 03/06/11 03:23pm

Hi

Ford Fiesta Flat Towing. As anyone flat towed the Fiesta a fair distance. Any problems ?

Print  |  Close