Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Diamond Shield removed....photos
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Diamond Shield removed....photos

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Cloud Dancer

San Antonio and Livingston TX USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/10 11:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It took a whole week of hard work. I had to put up a shade so that I could work in 94 degree heat.
My Diamond Shield simply was not what I expected (I ordered it as an option). It started showing black spots about 32 months after I picked up my new MH. It started to crack soon thereafter. It slowly got worst, and finally failed. It got ugly.
I learned, from this forum, that plastic razor blades were available from West Marine. That's all I needed to encourage me to attempt the removal of this product. I used a heat gun, set on the lowest heat, to apply some heat(NOT TOO MUCH) and then scraped the plastic off with ScrapRite orange razor blades. THEN, the real work began. Removing the adhesive was the worst RV-related work I've ever done. I used Goof Off, in the 20 oz can from Home Depot, to soften the adhesive. I slowly/carefully scraped it off.
Here's some photos:

Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

VintageRacer

Tatamagouche Nova Scotia

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/10 11:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Final result is sure excellent! if you ever do it again, 3M makes a product that is a 2 part system, one spray kind of dissolves the plastic layer and it comes off easy, the second spray takes of the adhesive. Expensive but worth it! It's called woodgrain remover, or something like that.

Brian

2005 F250 Supercab, Powerstroke, 5 speed automatic, 3.73 gears.
20 ft race car hauler, Lola T440 Formula Ford, NTM MK4 Sports Racer
1980 MCI MC-5C highway coach conversion
2004 Travelhawk 8' Truck Camper

Big Katuna

Deland, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/16/10 01:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

blu_teddi wrote:

We had a simular problem with our Diamond Shield... I contacted them and was told there was a recall on it... something about the adhesive that was initially used was faulty and allowed mold to grow underneath the " Diamond Shield" . Diamond Shield promptly made arrangements for a representative to come out and assess the situation. They deemed the adhesive was indeed faluty and they sent another technitian out to fully remove and replace the Diamond
Shield. We had had no other problem with it. We love it! makes cleaning bugs off so much easier and it also protects the front from rock dings.

Thanks. I will be giving them a call next week. While mine doesn't look as bad as Clouddancers, it has about as much mildew under it. I was had decided to wait until winter (Florida heat and all that) to remove it but now there is some hope.

My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

blu_teddi

Benson, MN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/16/10 01:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Diamond Shield was wonderful to work with. They worked off our schedule ( we full time and travel the country side) and came to us. NO DEDUCTABLE or out of pocket.... Diamond Shield covered all costs.

Good Luck!

Take life by the horns and ride it for all it's worth!

blu_teddi

Benson, MN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/16/10 11:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We had a simular problem with our Diamond Shield... I contacted them and was told there was a recall on it... something about the adhesive that was initially used was faulty and allowed mold to grow underneath the " Diamond Shield" . Diamond Shield promptly made arrangements for a representative to come out and assess the situation. They deemed the adhesive was indeed faluty and they sent another technitian out to fully remove and replace the Diamond
Shield. We had had no other problem with it. We love it! makes cleaning bugs off so much easier and it also protects the front from rock dings.

EndeavorV10

South Elgin, IL

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/10 11:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looks amazing after! Great job!

2013 Montana 3725RL Fifth Wheel
Saving up for F-350 Premium Dually 6.7 Diesel
My RV Blog

2cyber71

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/16/10 05:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WOW!

Phillerup

Usually Travelin' the USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/10 05:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am also working on removing mine right now. Mine looked about like yours and is coming off about like yours. Removing the adhesive has been a HORRIBLE job. So far, I have about 30 hours in mine - the film is off and I am still removing the adhesive.

If I was buying a new motorhome...It would definitely be ordered WITHOUT Diamond Shield.

If I was buying a used motorhome, I would have the stuff removed BEFORE I bought it and let them do it on their nickel. It has been the worst RV product I have ever messed with. I have heard reports of folks having to get the front end re-painted afterwards.

I just an had an email yesterday from somebody with a 2005 unit that had the exact same problem and he was getting ready to remove his because of the Diamond Shield performance too. So it is not just related to the early 2000 or so units. I guess it just takes some time for the elements to do their work. Mine looked great for a while.

2003 Newmar DSDP 4005 dual slide king bed Spartan 350 Cummins 2004 Jeep Liberty 4X4 tow, SeaEagle boat in basement

Bruce Brown

Northern NY

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/10 03:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As bad as it looked before it looks like it did it's job. The now looks brand new!

There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

Cloud Dancer

San Antonio and Livingston TX USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/10 03:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bruce Brown wrote:

As bad as it looked before it looks like it did it's job. The now looks brand new!

Ha! Just wait 'til I get my bill.....

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Diamond Shield removed....photos
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Good Sam Club | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS