Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Sewer Smell In Trailer - Under Sink Vent Repairs?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Sewer Smell In Trailer - Under Sink Vent Repairs?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Kampfirekid

usa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/19/10 03:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This weekend we experienced the strong sewer gas smell in our trailer. I immediately made sure there was water in the toilet, ran water in the sinks to fill the traps, and thought that would take care of it. It didn't. Then, I closed the grey water valve as I figured the gas must have been coming directly from the sewer through the grey tank. That probably helped, but I'd like to find the culprit.

As it turns out, I suspect the air conditioner running created a negative pressure with all the doors and windows closed. The only place to pull air would be through a vent. The only vents are in the plumbing lines under the kitchen and bath sinks. After all the problem troubleshooting, the DW said she smelled a really stong odor under the kitchen sink. That is where I found the vent. But, what o do? The top doesn't appear to come off. The p-trap is between the sink bowl and the vent, so no matter how much water goes down the drain, we'll still have issues.

I'd like to be proud that our trailer is sooooo air-tight that we need to pull air from the vent when the A/C is on, rather than a leaking seam in the trailer, but I'm sure that's not so. If there is a diaphragm in the vent under the sink, then how do I get at it if the top vent cap won't come off?

2013 Ford 350 Superduty Lariat. 6.7L Stock. Loaded.
2011 Jayco Flight G2 32BHDS

robbie69

wauconda, il usa

View Profile

Posted: 07/19/10 03:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

try cracking a vent or window when running the air. i usually crack a vent since it's high and hot air rises.

2004 silverado 2500HD crew cab 4x4 long bed 8.1L gas hog
2006 skyline nomad 3260 platium edition, prodigy, reese dual cam
1 very part time camping son and 3 full time camping, 4 legged fur balls
1 SU (spousal unit) who loves rv'in as much or more than me

rav

Northern Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/19/10 04:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

the vent should screw off. it's an air admittance vent (Mechanical Plumbing Vent) that allows air to be drawn into it - one way -so the water will drain. sounds like the diaphram in it is going bad, when mine when out we had the same problem. i got 2 at lowes, one to fix the problem and one to put in the tool box. part I found at lowes
Keeney Mfg. Co. Black Plumbing Vent
Item #: 24372 | Model #: 85539K

if you POST a problem please POST the solution!!!

2005 Bounder 38N
2012 Ford Escape toad
me, DW and our 2 dogs

mbutts

Farmington MI, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/19/10 04:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The cap (on the roof of the trailer)on the vent pipe on my trailer got knocked partially off when I was removing the cover in the spring. This blocked airflow and stunk up the inside. Snapping it back in place fixed it.

Mike Butts
DW+DD+DS+Camping Poodles
2013 Sunset Trail 29SS,
2006 Ford F350 SRW Diesel
ProPride 3P Hitch

Admiral

Upstate Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 07/19/10 05:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rav wrote:

the vent should screw off. it's an air admittance vent (Mechanical Plumbing Vent) that allows air to be drawn into it - one way -so the water will drain. sounds like the diaphram in it is going bad, when mine when out we had the same problem. i got 2 at lowes, one to fix the problem and one to put in the tool box. part I found at lowes

I agree vehemently. A quick temporary fix (and test) is to attach a couple of layers of sandwich wrap around the air vent under the sink and rubber band it on. This should stop the smell until you get a replacement and won't harm anything in the plumbing. Just make sure the adjacent sink trap doesn't go dry in the mean time or you may recreate the odor.

2004 Damon Daybreak 2960F V-10
05 Honda Element LX

Compassion should be voluntary, not mandatory.

philhoey

Central MD

View Profile

Posted: 07/19/10 06:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When was the last time you completly cleaned out the tank. If there is solid build up in the tank it cover the bottom of the vent tube and the gas has no where to go. Or can you tell of the vent tube and 'sunk' down into the tank thereby sealing off the bottom causing the same problem - no where for the gas to vent except into the trailer.

Phillip, Janet, and the Mutt
2003 Silverado 1500HD 4.10 rear
32' Coachman 5th wheel

dalenoel

S.E. Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 07/19/10 06:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rav wrote:

At $5.59 each I think I'll get one as a spare before we go out next week.

04 Dodge RAM Quad Crew Cab 4x4
08 Jayco Eagle 322 FKS, Hensley Arrow, Prodigy Controller
Wife and myself, Lutheran Deacon, Oreo the Malshi, and maybe a grandkid or two
Tracking campgrounds with Ultimate Campground Log

javaseuf

California's Gold Coast

View Profile

Posted: 07/19/10 10:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

And BTW, a RV roof air has no air exchange between the inside and outside of the living space so running it will not produce a "negative presure" condition.

Kampfirekid

usa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/20/10 08:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

javaseuf wrote:

And BTW, a RV roof air has no air exchange between the inside and outside of the living space so running it will not produce a "negative presure" condition.

I see your point. I wonder why we had air coming into our trailer through the A/C grilles (exhaust side, not intake) when it was windy the other night (A/C was not on)?

javaseuf

California's Gold Coast

View Profile

Posted: 07/20/10 06:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Could be that some insulation tape in the upper unit has come loose.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Sewer Smell In Trailer - Under Sink Vent Repairs?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Good Sam Club | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS