Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Beginning RVing: Cost of Snowbirding?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Cost of Snowbirding?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
KyWildcat2010

Western Ky

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/10 11:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am getting ready to buy a 5th wheel 34'-36'. I want to camp several months of the year. I am wondering about the cost involved with the campgrounds and RV parks. I have seen many with monthly rates from $250-$500 a month plus electricity. Could someone tell me how much more I could expect to pay just to the campground or anything else I might not think of as a newbie.

Thank You,
Lisa

A1B00902

Vancouver B.C CANADA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/12/10 11:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The higher end campgrounds or RV RESORTS AND SPA as they like to call themselves will charge a lot more $600-$1000+ a month
Other things you might get charge for, WIFI, some do some dont
propane for sure if you need a refill Events that he campground put on dinner/dances, musical shows etc
there might be a movie rental charge
Sure ther are other things that will be mentioned as well

Joy

Henderson KY 42420

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/10 12:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Perhaps lawn mowing and trash service. You might want to rent a golf cart if the park is large.

See ya' down the road!

Don-SCPO USN Ret.Corpsman
Joy-Ret.Off.Mgr.
Maggie-Chihuahua
Chrissie-Chihuahua
Lucy-Jack/Rat
'06 42' Allegro Bus DP
'06 Saturn Vue

LIFE ISN'T ABOUT HOW TO SURVIVE THE STORM BUT HOW TO DANCE IN THE RAIN.

catkins

Western Washington

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/12/10 01:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi, Lisa. Last year was our first yar as snowbirds so by NO means experts.

We found weekly rates less than daily and of course monthly rates gets you the best bargain. Electricity added for weekly or longer was what we encountered in AZ and NM. If you want cable that may be extra and landline phone would be another I could think of. We just always use our cell but some poor service areas might require getting a phone line activated for a longer stay.

Food and all other basic living expenses remain the same but we found food was much less expensive south than what we pay near Seattle so that was a bonus. Moving and getting there with gas and overnight stays is obviously the largest added expense. ENJOY!!

Pond Jumper

North Texas

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/10 12:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Electricty in the Summer you can have a bill up to $100 extra. In the winter around $50 to $60 depending on your use of AC, heat , TV etc.. Never paid for grounds keeping though.

PJ

DesertHawk

Las Cruces, New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/10 01:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Depend on where you are going and which campground or park you choose. Shopping around and research for best value vs what you want.

Wintering/Snowbirding Southern New Mexico & Arizona. ** Varied Possible Areas in Texas to Winter

But I must be honest, I have not snowbirded, but just passing on what I seemed to have found follow stories of some who have and do.

DesertHawk- Las Cruces, NM USA
*2015 Lance 1985~Casita de Campo~23' 4" Tongue to Bumper, Dinette Slide
160 watt Solar Panel/GoPower! Solar Controller
*2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab
Long Bed with A.R.E. Molded Fiberglass Topper
*Previously~ 2005 16' Scamp

WTTCS

freedom , U.S.A.

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/10 04:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In south Texas you can rent from 175.00 per month to 600,00 a month, elec in the winter will cost you from 50-75,00, depending on your tolerance for heat.

Most parks offer free WIFI and cable. Some charge extra for the cable.
Some even charge extra for the wifi.

You will have to do washing, so figure that . Then if you engage in some activities, some cost from 50 cents to 5 bucks. But thats up to you to decide.

Pick the area you are thinking of, get some info on the parks you might be interested in, then ask in the snowbird section and I promise you, a lot of people have been where you are wanting to go.

1997 chev crew cab 454, 5 sp. 4.10

Eycom

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/10 03:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On the east coast, the further south you go, the more expensive the rates. However, there are some good values in north FL, GA, and SC along the coast where the winters are reasonably mild. The weather in those areas will dictate your propane usage and will definitely increase over the usual summer consumption.

I wintered in the Upstate of SC last year at a county park. FHU's and WiFi for $300/mo (senior rate). While I use a ceramic heater, the tanks are heated by the furnace. It was one of the coldest winters in my memory and my propane costs nearly tripled.

RVn Full-time

Rick & Cheryl

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/12/10 05:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dont forget to add in your liquor bill for all those happy hours.

cwit

Upstate New York

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/10 02:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have been snowbieding 3 winters now and if you don't mind shutting down your house you can break even on money. WE spend a little more than staying home because the dw number1 rule is when camping she don't cook so we eat out alot. lol.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Cost of Snowbirding?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Good Sam Club | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS