Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Surveyor, ROO or Palomino Hybrid
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Hybrid Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Hybrid Travel Trailers

> Surveyor, ROO or Palomino Hybrid

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
J&N

mississauga

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/10 08:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We went to the RV show in Toronto on the weekend and of course everyone claims their product is better. I wasn't even looking at the Surveyor, thinking same as the ROO because they are made by the same company. Turns out I'm leaning towards the Surveyor and mostly because of the aerodynamic advantages that they claim. I also discovered that the Palomino products are built in the same building as the Surveyor and probably the same reason why they seem to have the same aerodynamic front angle. I also thought Palomino was a lower grade brand but according to the dealer, they claim it is higher rated than the rest. No-one seems to have stock of Palominos so not sure about this claim..

Wow, who to believe... Anyone have knowledge of these makes and their claims? Will I really see much of a difference towing a Surveyor vs a ROO?

Thanks,

John

Palomino 25' Hybrid Travel Trailer
TV is MDX SUV 3.7 liter engine / 300HP

Mr.Beebo

Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/10 03:09am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not sure what size HTT your looking at but there will be no difference towing, no matter what the dealer says, apples to apples. There is no aerodynamic advantage of one hard sided camper over another either, just isn't. Count on 10 mpg more or less. One guy will swear by their Roo or Palomino, the next guy will swear at it. These days it is all pretty much preference. I would put more faith in your own research that what you are told by a salesman. Verify you have a vehicle capable of pulling x number of lbs, then find out what your options are in that class and have at it. Floorplan and functionability seem to be king. That said, enjoy your search.

2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS
2009 Silverado 2500 6.0

Chuck_S

Broadview Hts, OH, USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/10 07:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Forest River is the parent company of the three brands you mention.

The Rockwoood Roo and Flagstaff Shamrock are the same trailer. Identical twins wearing different libstick.

Surveyor is a a separate brand name, design, and manufacturing facility. Forest River promotes Shamrock as their premium hybrid camper and as part of a complete line that includes standard travel trailers.

Note Forest River doesn't even admit owning Palomino on their website. Palomino lists facilities in Colon MI and Goshen IN (about an hour away from each other) and both in the region of the RV mecca of Elkhart IN. I've no clue which plant (if either) makes their hybrids nor where Surveyors are made.

The pointed nose "aerodynamic" shape is great for transonic speeds. Cross sectional area is what determines drag and fuel use at more reasonable speeds. Gasoline engines are very mature designs and it makes little difference what truck or SUV or even what engine you have as you'll be getting less than 10mpg driving 65mph. (Diesels are something else.)

Air resistance is exponential. Twice the speed equals four times the air resistance. For your truck and trailer. Air resistance at 70mph is twice what it is at 50. That's gonna burn more fuel to provide the power needed.

-- Chuck

'06 Roo 23SS behind '07 Expedition out of Cleveland
Our Photo pages

J&N

mississauga

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/10 09:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Chuck, as an engineer, I'm having difficulty agreeing totally with your comments about the aerodynamics. If a unit has more of an angle at the front and is also 9" lower, I can only expect less wind resistance and of course better gas mileage.

If you look at the front of two units from the web site below, you will notice more of an angle on the Surveyor:
http://www.forestriverinc.com/nd/hybrid_campers.asp

The units that we are deciding on are the ROO 233 and Surveyor 224T. I will not consider the Palomino any further as I do not see anyone talking about them. The ROO seems to be the most popular but of course being an engineer, I like to analyze and understand everything before buying.

thanks,

John

PenMan

New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/10 10:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just remember when a salesman opens his/her mouth that only lies come out. You will find a floorplan that suits you. With that said, we love our Roo and have had almost no problems with it. I have no personal experience with the other models you mention. The first thing you need to know about towing is your mileage will stink so it is better to just forget about it and get what you want. Enjoy the search.

Chris and Jane and two boys (and a DDIL) who prefer tents
2013 Open Range Journeyer JT337RLS
2006 Dodge Ram 3500, 4x4, Crew Cab, DRW, 5.9 turbo diesel
1996 Harley Davidson Electraglide

miatared

Toronto, Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/10 09:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Maybe a tad better aerodynamics. OK.

But still 22-24 LI/100KM, no matter the angle or lower height. That is a fact.

I got a 2011 Shamrock and love it - over 11,000 this summer with no issues. Very good build quality.

Highly recommend it.

Denis
Pickering, ON

Rookiecamper

Northeastern, PA

View Profile

Posted: 10/22/10 08:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Palomino used to be owned by Vanguard Industries. I believe it was bought by Forest River around 2005 or so...not exactly sure. I have a 2002 Stampede and it has not given me a problem since I've owned it, which has been since the spring of 2007. The dealer network seems to be much smaller than the other Forest River brands, and therefore the brand is less popular. Although there are less Palomino owners on this forum, it seems that you still have some who love them and others who have had serious problems....just like all brands.

Me~Jim,50
DW~Patty, no comment
DS~Dave,24
DD~Megan,23
DD~Emily,17

2005 Expedition Eddie Bauer
2002 Palomino Stampede 235 SL

bikendan

Napa, Cal.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/22/10 09:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

from what i remember, Surveyor and Palomino are separate factories. both were independent companies that FR bought. Rockwood Roo/Flagstaff Shamrock are built in the same factory and on the same line.
Surveyor has been in the FR camp for some time, while Palomino/Vanguard was recently bought by FR, around 2006 or 2007.

the Palomino 238 came out shortly after FR bought Palomino and is a close sibling of the 23SS floorplan.

Surveyor promotes itself as being a "Premium" trailer, compared to other brands, but we didn't find much different from the Roo line. they did come out with canvas ends that seemed to have a silver top, as if it was intended to do the same as a PUG or solar blanket.

as was said, the Palomino dealer network is small. i couldn't find any of their hybrids in the entire state of California, when we were shopping. but they appear to be well-built from the pics, since i've never been able to see one in person.

nothing will substitute you looking at all the brands, in-person. we went in and out of every brand we could find, opening every cabinet and door, checking the fit and finish of everything, getting down on hands and knees.

Dan- Firefighter, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP), 2007 Chevrolet Avalanche LS, 2007 Rockwood Roo 23SS w/Equalizer and Prodigy, and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

JGRVING

BUFORD, GA

View Profile

Posted: 10/22/10 08:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Palomino has been making campers for many years(since 1968 per website)....I've always thought they made a very good product from what I have seen...I've never owned one...I think most of their owners on here are TT and 5'er's..lots of Puma owners on here in TT section( I love the Sabre line !! nice)...I've wondered if Forest River just recently acquired Palomino RV just because I had never heard that until recently ??? I don't think they always have but I am unsure.

JENNIFER AND DUANE
BUFORD, GA
'10 STARCRAFT TRAVELSTAR 217RBSS
2002 GMC 2500 HD 6.0 4x4 4.10
SO MANY PLACES, SO LITTLE TIME

rbq

West Valley City, Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/21/10 10:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Interesting that on the Forest River website that there is no mention of the Palomino brand, but when you look at the Palomino Stampede floorplans there is a blurb at the bottom that states that Forest River has the right to make changes, etc.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Hybrid Travel Trailers

> Surveyor, ROO or Palomino Hybrid
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Hybrid Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Good Sam Club | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS