Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Beginning RVing: ProPride trailer hitch
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> ProPride trailer hitch

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
aquinn4263

Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/11 07:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Need to get a sway control weight distribution hitch, for a 24ft 8ooo pound trailer. Have read numerous reviews and I was wondering of the $2500 ProPride hitch is as good as it sounds. I don't want to risk my $40k investment in my trailer, but then again don't want to waste $2500, when a $700 reese hitch will work just as good. Any feedback very much appreciate. By the way never pulled a trailer before.

Cheers

E&J push'n wind

San Diego CA, The best climate on earth!

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/11 07:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Oh man you don't realize it but you are about to start a fire storm!

BTW Welcome to the forum!

The ProPride hitch is one of three primium hitches. The other two are the Hensley Arrow and the PullRight. There is a reason for the price on these hitches. The possibility of sway is engineered out through the hitch design. Other hitches while very popular control sway through friction, so while they may do a fine job they have their limits.

There are more knowledgeable people than I on this matter but that is the jist of it. I bought the HA hitch and it is money well spent, others that don't have one of the primium hitches may feel differently. I have yet to see someone that has one of these hitches that has had it for a while not be satisified with it. My $.02 cents FWIW!

Wisdom is the right use of knowledge. To know is not to be wise. Many men know much, and are all the greater fools for it. There is no fool so great a fool as a knowing fool. But to know how to use knowledge is to have wisdom.

Charles Haddon Spurgeon

Mortimer Brewster

Northern Illinois

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/19/11 09:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Speaking from experience, the ProPride hitch is as good as people say. For me and my setup, it was an excellent investment. Whether you need it or not depends on your tow vehicle and what you're pulling. You might be fine with a dual cam hitch from Reese. If you provide more info about your tow vehicle and trailer, you'll get better feedback.

If ethics are poor at the top, that behavior is copied down through the organization - Robert Noyce

2018 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2019 Coachmen Chaparral 298RLS

Dick_B

Palos Heights, IL USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/20/11 01:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'd say it is as good as promoted and I don't even have one. Didn't think I need a premier sway control with my setup and have survived six seasons or so with my Equal-i-zer.

Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

jmtandem

western nevada

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/11 06:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

but then again don't want to waste $2500,

How is purchasing something that works and is of quality 'wasting' money? How much do you have invested in a tow vehicle and your trailer? your family? Then figure out how much $2500 is as a percentage of that total.

'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.

webslave

Clearville, PA

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/11 03:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, it had to start... "Waste" is over-paying or over-buying anything when a perfectly satisfactory and cheaper alternative is available. An F550 is a proven towing vehicle, however, it is a "waste" to buy one to tow my FunFinder when my Jeep Commander is quite adequate at half the cost.

I don't doubt the fundamental assets of any of the top three hitches, but, I do doubt the integrity in buying one just to say "I've got the best". There are millions of folks out there towing with Equal-i-zers and Reeses and they don't suffer for it, except for the size of the smile that they have when writing the check to purchase them compared to what that check would have been for purchasing the top three. A $2,000 difference is 6 weeks on the road for us; I'll keep my Equal-i-zer, thank you; I'm safe, the wife is safe, the three fur bags are safe and equally important, the folks I've shared the 28,000 miles of roadway I've got on this rig have been safe.

As for the OP's question... You don't mention the truck you have, but, do mention the 24' TT. Any good WD hitch with sway control capability should work for you as long as your truck is up to the weight of the TT and load. The science of towing RV type trailers has grown exponentially since our fathers were towing 34' Airstreams with the family Buick. Have an adequate TV, proper tongue weight and watch your weights and any of the weight distribution/sway packages should suffice. Buy one of the top three if you feel you must, but, IMHO, the top three would be over-kill for your situation...

My 2 cents, your mileage may vary...

Don
Bronwyn
Down to 1 kitty...J-Lo, the princess

2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX
2015 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk Towed

VirtualGarage

Vancouver, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/11 08:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After comparing both Hensley and Pro-Pride, I upgraded from the Reese Dual Cam to the Pro-Pride in anticipation of my cross-country trip last summer. I wanted to upgrade because I was getting a longer (35 ft) trailer and not knowing how the new setup would handle through the Rockies and the high crosswinds in the Prairies I wanted to minimize the risk of poor handling as much as possible.

I have no regrets at all and it was a great investment. A lot of potentially difficult situations ended up being very stress free and we had a great time. One of the best features of these premium hitches is how easy it is to make adjustments on the road to get dialed-in perfectly based on different loads.

If you've never towed before you may not know what you want or need until after you gain some experience. I was like that with my first RV. I wasn't ready at first to buy the ProPride. But when I bought my 2nd RV, I knew exactly what I wanted.

2007 GMC Yukon XL Denali ~ 2010 Keystone Premier 31BHPR ~ Sold: 2009 Tango 289BH
ProPride 3P Hitch ~ RV Modifications ~ Gear & Accessories ~ Road Trip 2010

nickelAF

Charleston, WV

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/11 10:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The high dollar hitches are smoke and mirrors. They work but you can get the same results without spending $2500 or more. They have very unique hitching problems. The angle of the unit in relation to the RV is a problem when hitching. You can unhook but lots of luck hooking up. Do your self a favor and try a Reese without the cams. I’ve 40 years of towing experience. Thirty thousand miles currently with an Excursion and 32’ Arctic Fox all with a no cam Reese. In all the conditions you can imagine, CA hwy1 the western plains (gusty thunderstorms) and all in between. I couldn’t ask for a better behaved drive. When on the road I run with the traffic.

07 Arctic Fox 31WRB
04 6.0L 4X4 Excursion

jmtandem

western nevada

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/11 01:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

.........and the folks that have never used a premium hitch say they are a 'waste of money' or 'smoke and mirrors' while those that have used them and prior had some other hitch like the Equalizer say premium hitches are among the best investments in towing they have made......interesting!

webslave

Clearville, PA

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/11 03:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Years ago, I used an HA. Super marvelous hitch, however, after downsizing, I found it much easier, cheaper and just as effective for my current setup to use an Equal-i-zer. The object is to prevent sway, and IMHO, it can be prevented just as easily with a less costly solution in certain applications. Less costly does not mean less effective and certainly does not infer "waste" were one to get one of the "Top 3", but, it does infer a cost savings that can be better utilized elsewhere. I have not inferred or stated that the "Top 3" are anything but the absolute finest out there.

The "Top 3" have their applications, but, for the OP's situation, I still maintain that the "Top 3", while agreeably the "best", may be overkill for a 24' TT with an adequate TV, millions of users of the "not quite Top 3" do quite well with them in millions of miles of travel. Were the OP towing a 35' TT with a marginal TV, then, IMHO, the advantages of moving up to the Top 3 would be warranted, but, in regards to the OP's stated situation, not in this instance.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> ProPride trailer hitch
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS