Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Leaking Skylight
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Leaking Skylight

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Jimbo480

Gilbert AZ

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/11 12:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey Fellas we just purchased a 2006 Starcraft and discovered a leak in the skylight after a long rainy weekend. I checked the roof and the skylight appears to be caulked but evidently it's not.

My question is is it better to remove all the caulk that's currently there or just caulk over what's there?

Thanks, Jim

2011 Chevy 2500 HD Duramax
2006 Starcraft 23SBS
Drawtite WD Hitch

2011 Nights spent camping = 25

mxranger

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/11 12:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My advise is to remove all old sealant and clean area, then reapply new sealant.
Trust me , check VERY closely for cracks, I learned the hard way!
Over Christmas I went into my trailer for something and saw water on the floor ( we were having a meltdown) and now everything is frozen solid.
Removed old sky lite( covered and sealed hole) and wet insulation but worried about what I am going to find in the spring

2011 Gulf Stream Streamlite 27BKS
2011 F-150 S-Crew 4x4
2014 YZ450FBL
2011 Yamaha EF2400iSHC

TURBODOG1000

INDY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/23/11 01:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Eternabond tape would be a great repair for your skylight.

2005 F150 XLT Supercab LB Heavy Payload 5.4, 4.10
2007 Jayco Jayflight 31BHDS
Back-up camera on the TT with infrared & microphone
Prodigy
ScanGauge II
Reese duel cam hitch, U-bolt style ($40 at a garage sale)
2 canoes, 3 kayaks, & camping dog (Tootsie)

DavidP

Raleigh

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/23/11 02:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jimbo480 wrote:

Hey Fellas we just purchased a 2006 Starcraft and discovered a leak in the skylight after a long rainy weekend. I checked the roof and the skylight appears to be caulked but evidently it's not.

My question is is it better to remove all the caulk that's currently there or just caulk over what's there?

Thanks, Jim

Make sure it is not cracked especially around the screws.

Rescuebub

Relaxing in MD

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/23/11 03:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TURBODOG1000 wrote:

I tried this on an old TT without much luck. Admittedly, my skylight was in very poor shape, and the eternabond didn't seal very well to the plastic part of the skylight. IMHO, I would take off the skylight, inspect it and put down new sealer and recaulk it. That way it's over and done and that's one less thing to worry about. I've found that trying to take the easier road usually leads to doing it again the proper way. Good luck!

11 Jay Flight G2 32BHDS
2008 Silerado 2500HD 4X4 Z71 6.0L, 6sp.
Reese Dual Cam, Prodigy
Me,DW,DD,2 Pups

Fliposo

Colorado/Arizona

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/11 04:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You might price out a new skylight. At that age yours might be getting brittle.
Properly installed, the new skylight would last for years.

Retired 2009
Campground Host Shoshone NF '10
Ranger Station Host Roosevelt NF, Red Feather Lakes Summer '11
Interpretive Guide Holswarth Homestead, Rocky Mountain Natl. Park '13
Snowbirding in Casa Grande since '11
Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta '10

2oldman

The Q

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/11 04:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TURBODOG1000 wrote:

Perhaps, if you cover the entire thing in EB!

I would suggest (as I am planning on doing) is getting one of those positive pressure blower things (perhaps my own leaf blower), pressurize the 5er, then get up on the roof and spray soapy water on the skylight and find exactly where the leak is. I've looked that thing over with a magnifying glass and for the life of me I cannot find where water can come in.

As the above poster suggested, perhaps there's a crack in the skylight itself. Maddening problem.

LarryJM

NoVa

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/11 05:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IMHO Eternabond is the only thing that should be used to seal these skylights since a lot don't even have a metal flange, but are all plastic AFAIK. As you found out visually checking caulking is extremely difficult and can be really tedious. The caulking can be stiff and appear to be adhered along the edges, but it can have a small failure and just like a wicking screw will do considerable damage before discovered.

Three secrets to a good Eternabond seal is

1. To clean the surface really well at least 1 to 2 inches beyond any caulking if you leave that in place.

2. Make sure you extend the Eternabond at least 1" beyond the seam or edge of the existing caulking you are sealing if the surface there is flat. This 1" should probably be 1 1/2 if extending over screw heads since the Eternabond will not lay flat over the heads (I mitigated this issue some and is in my Eternabond link in my signature).

3. DO NOT STRETCH the Eternabond but lay it lightly and then press very hard (a key to activate the microsealant). Proper application is a learned "art" that is hard to put into words, but you will know when you have it down. You can even practice a little to see what might work the best and I used some acrylic plastic and actually tried to fit something onto it like a screw and see what worked best.

Finally, don't let the naysayers that say if you ever have to say replace the skylight Eternabond will be almost impossible to work with. IMHO if done according to Eternabond's instructions it is actually easier than dealing with something that is caulked.

Larry

2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

othertonka

Stockton, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/23/11 06:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most skylights are a two piece affair. You can take the inside part down,4 to 6 screws, and then you can get a better look at just where the leak is coming from. In my case there was a hair line crack in one corner of the plastic that could not be seen from the top side. In my case I bought a new skylight, used a hair dryer to soften up the old caulking to expose the screws, removed the screws and took the old one off. Cleaned the mounting surface and installed the new one using Butyl tape under the flange and between the roof surface and new screws and tightened the screws down a little at a time until it was evenly tight. Cleaned off the butyl tape that squezzed out with a plastic putty knife and then covered the screw heads and the edges of the skylight with Dicor self leveling caulking. Used the hair dryer on the inside to dry out the wet insulation and reinstalled the inside part of the Skylight. Job done

Othertonka
2004 Southwind 32VS 8.1 Workhorse chassis
2002 CRV Toad
U. S. Gear Unified brake system
Retired Fire Captain, SFD

Hoppers4

Port Orchard, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/11 06:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My Sightseer was only 2 years old when my skylight started leaking. BAD! The Dicor self leveling caulking had pulled away from the corners. I wasn't going to try the same thing again that had failed previously. I used Eternabond and was pleased with the outcome. Might not look like a million dollars but it doesn't leak and I have complete confidence that it never will. Eternabond is some very good stuff if properly applied. That includes cleaning off ALL of the previous caulking.

08 Winnebago Sightseer 29R

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Leaking Skylight
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Good Sam Club | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS