Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Wave 3 installation. Clearances??
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Wave 3 installation. Clearances??

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
lkg9071

wa

View Profile

Posted: 04/29/11 08:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm fixing to install a wave 3 heater in a Casita trailer. I understand that the heaters are installed in similar sized TC's quite often.
Clearance specifications are as follows. sides = 4", front = 30", vertical = 18".
My problem is the vertical clearance. Has anyone fudged the 18" clearance specification with some success? The Casita walls & ceilings are carpet, and I don't need any scorched carpet.
Thanks, LKG907

msiminoff

Silicon Valley, CA

View Profile

Posted: 04/29/11 10:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mine is considerably less than 18" from the floor (I do have carpeting) and I've never had any issues whatsoever.
[image]
Cheers
-Mark

'04 Alpenlite Saratoga 935, 328W of solar, 300Ah Odyssey batt's, Trimetric, Prosine 2.0
05 Ram3500, Cummins,Vision 19.5 w/M729F's, Dynatrac Hubs, RR airbags w/ping tanks, Superhitch, Roadmaster Swaybar, Rancho RS9000XL
The Overlhander Blog

Raften

Northern Calfornia

View Profile

Posted: 04/29/11 11:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mine sits right on the floor. When I first started doing that I put some foil under under the front edge and out front but decided after awhile it was not needed. The floor gets warm but not hot.

For the clearance above you can make a heat shield, eyebrow, of say alum and it will keep the heat from getting anything above too hot.

bobndot

USA

View Profile

Posted: 04/30/11 08:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some info. that i found . I am thinking of installing one too. I have to see if i have the room,being that i now have a dog. If condensation is a problem. One of the DRI-Z- Air units might help, its non powered .
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/dri-z-air/4735

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f56/wave-3-heater-install-25810.html

see the 'kevin' post for a link to the Olympian installation guide. the link is just below the pics with the thermometer .
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f462/olympian-catalytic-heaters-56570.html

http://wxtoad.com
/rv/catalytic.htm

AnEv942

CA

View Profile

Posted: 04/30/11 09:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mounted ours simular to msiminoff. Instead of a cabinet door above heater we have a small flip out table so it protrudes out about an inch. Gets warm but not hot, was always going to fab a piece of alum angle/ deflector between heater and folded down table just to be sure but havent yet. If I fold out the table (which I dont plus we rarly use) which is mabe 14" deep the under side gets quite hot, unsafe hot.
[image]

If you are suggesting 18" from the ceiling? Id say first- NO, second would really be ineffiant for heating. If you cant find another place- heater could be mounted to cabinet door-seems like someone posted doing that in the past.
Mark

01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page

Reddog1

El Dorado, CA

View Profile

Posted: 04/30/11 01:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My Wave3 is almost on the floor, I use throw rugs in front of it with no problem. The plastic bag beside the Wave3 proves to be no problem. I have purposely put a piece of paper up to the grill, to see it it would catch fire, it would not.

[image]

Photomike

Southern Alberta or where the camper is parked!

View Profile

Posted: 04/30/11 03:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One thing that I found out with my Mr. Buddy was that it does get hot above. I set the heater on the counter, ran on high, after a while went to open cupboard above and left a round brand on my hand. Would be more concerned about what is above than below.

2017 Ford Transit
EVO Electric bike
Advanced Elements Kayaks

lkg9071

wa

View Profile

Posted: 04/30/11 06:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The vertical (overhead) above is the problem. I'm not concerned about the distance below the heater.
I'm hoping to put the heater about 15" from the ceiling. What is the temperature at this distance/
Thanks,LKG907

bigfootford

Fair Oaks, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/30/11 06:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

lkg9071 wrote:

The vertical (overhead) above is the problem. I'm not concerned about the distance below the heater.
I'm hoping to put the heater about 15" from the ceiling. What is the temperature at this distance/
Thanks,LKG907

Here is a link to the TC forum thread that Sleepy did. It covers the full install temperature check of a similar type of cat heater. The Platinum Cat heater...Which is vented.
Sleepy did a great writeup...

As for your question Sleepy posted a picture of the temperature just above his heater....149 deg...

I will question the mounting of the Wave that high up...Remember this is not forced air...It is radiant heat...It warms the surfaces that the radiant heat hits...What you could do is do a temporary install to find a good location...Some use the legs and do not make it permanent.

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseac......../tid/23439027/srt/pa/pging/1/page/17.cfm

I see you double posted this subject but I think the Moderators will understand the reasoning.

I will post my wave 3 install here to show what I did, there may be some that have not seen my install in the door.

[image]

I use a spring and a hook to keep the door open when the wave is in operation. That way I can close it to get around it and it comes back where It should be. My shower is on the opposite side where the wave is....Geezz it is nice to get out of the shower and stand in front of the fireplace....er wave....That is what the wave feels like is a fire place...(radiant heat).
Jim

2000 2500 9.6 Bigfoot,94 F250, Vision 19.5, Mich 245/70XDS2's, Bilstein shocks, air bags/pump, EU2000, PD 9260,Lifeline 100ah, 200W. solar, Morningstar Sunsaver 15A/ display panel, Trimetric, Delorme/laptop, Holux gps rec,led lights, Wave-3 heat.

sleepy

Oak Ridge,Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 04/30/11 08:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I recieved a PM earlier this evening: I hadn't read this thread.

Sleepy,
I'm dealing with a Wave 3 heater and a 17' Casita trailer. There is only one place to mount it permenantly and meet the clearance specificaiton. 4" side, 18" above, and 30" forward.
It would be great if I could fudge the 18" dimension to about 15". Can you supply any input on this? Bear in mind that the walls & ceiling on the Casita are carpeted.
Thanks, LKG907

-----My answer...Original Message-----
Sent: 04/30/11 09:50pm
Subject: RE: Cat heater

What is 15" above the area where you want to put the heater?

After reading the thread and seeing the OP wants to mount the Cat heater 15" below the ceiling my answer would be:

1)I think that the fact that there is no empty space above the 15" area above the cat heater... the danger of heat build up to the level of combustion is to high to risk. Burning/smoldering carpet might even produce toxic fumes.

2)Heat rises... the only areas of the trailer that could be heated in a best scenero would be the ceiling... the heat produced would stay up there.

Bottom line... I would not do it!

Sleepy

2003 Lance 1161,/slideout/AGM batteries/255W Solar/propane generator/Sat dish/2 Fantastic Fans/AC/winter pkg
AirFoil, Trimetric, LED lights, Platcat vent heat

2003GMC K3500 LT/Crewcab/duramax diesel/allison/dually/4x4/OnStar/front reciever mounted spare

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Wave 3 installation. Clearances??
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS