Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Pullrite Superglide
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Pullrite Superglide

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
pcm1959

home

View Profile

Posted: 05/07/11 02:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are getting a new 2011 Silverardo 3500 standard bed pick-up for fifth wheel towing. This time around, instead of a manual slider hitch we are going to go with the Pullrite Superglide hitch for the peace of mind.
I'm trying to get more educated about them before selecting which model and installation options.
It seems there are 2 options for installing: 1) conventional bed rails that the hitch sets atop and 2) a rail system under the bed therefore allowing the hitch to set directly on the bed.
My concern with option number one is that it will make the hitch head to high and I can't raise/shorten my pin box anymore. It is as short as it will go at this point.
I'd prefer to have the hitch lower in the bed and extend/lengthen the pin box if necessary.
I'd love to hear from other Superglide owners about mounting options. Thanks. Phillip

2013 Silverado 3500 DRW 4x4 Duramax/Allison
2014 Lifestyle LS36FW
Jacksonville, FL

sloopdog 1

Stanley,N. C.

View Profile

Posted: 05/07/11 02:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What f/w are you going to pull?Most have a good range of adjustment in the pin box mount.
My 16,000 superglide sits on the bed of the truck,the mounts are fixed directly to the frame mounts.

2001 F250 7.3 supercab,Pullrite Superglide,2008 Copper Canyon FW339tsl

bldrbuck

one or the other

View Profile

Posted: 05/07/11 03:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pcm1959 wrote:

We are getting a new 2011 Silverardo 3500 standard bed pick-up for fifth wheel towing.

What are you calling a standard bed? Short? Long?
With a long bed you do not need a slider.
Installing either way will only make about a half and inch in heigth.

93 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel, DRW, Crew Cab. PullRite Hitch. 35' King of the Road 5er, 192 Watts Solar, 2800 Watt Yamaha Generator, 1750 Watt Inverter, 2 Trogan T105 Batteries, Me, my wife and 2 maltize furkids.

bigjettech

Bartlett,Il

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/07/11 03:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm not sure if either one sits the hitch head any higher than the other. The underbed rail system you are referring to is a bit of a poor description. The rails are actually above the bed,it's main difference is the attachment method. The underbed rail system can be removed completly from the bed by pulling a few pins and leaving only the 4 each 1-7/8" holes in the bed. My hitch itself does not sit on the bed, it is 1.5" above the bed when installed. My hitch head when level is 16" from the bed using the underbed system on my 06 silverado 2500 with the 16k superglide. Some of the newer trucks actually have higher bed sides and need some extra height for the hitch to clear the sides. I don't know if the newer GM's are one of them or not. Pullrite has an optional rail set that puts another 3" of height in for that purpose. I can't post pics here because I don't have a picture host site but if you want some of my setup pm your email address and I'd be glad to send you a couple. Also Pullrite has excellect customer service, you could call them with your concerns, they know what fits and the clearances you should have.

* This post was edited 05/07/11 03:11pm by bigjettech *

2006 Silverado 2500hd duramax 4x4 - with a few mods

2006 Cherokee lite 285b+ 5th wheel

bigjettech

Bartlett,Il

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/07/11 03:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bldrbuck wrote:

pcm1959 wrote:

We are getting a new 2011 Silverardo 3500 standard bed pick-up for fifth wheel towing.

What are you calling a standard bed? Short? Long?
With a long bed you do not need a slider.
Installing either way will only make about a half and inch in heigth.

In GM speak there are 3 bed sizes,short,standard,long.
short(rare to see) are 5'8"
standard are 6'8"
long are 8'

what we used to think of as the short box is now the standard and most common size.

chuggs

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/07/11 04:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are actually more options to consider.

First...the Pull Rite SuperGlide is an outstanding hitch. I have the 15K Model #2700 SuperGlide...and I love it.

I'd start by determining which HITCH you want. And then deciding which RAIL system you want.

24K SuperGlide...this has a "no-rail" mounting system.

18K, 16K, 12K SuperGlide...these use the proprietary pull rite rails with the sqare cross-section.

18K, 15K Superglide for "Industry Standard" rails...use,,,you guessed it Industry Standard Rails.

Once you choose your Hitch...you can decide on the rails.

For the 24K...the hitch doesn't use rails.

For the ones that use the proprietary pull rite rails...you have 4 options really.

1) The SUPERRAIL mounting kit. These have special brackets that mount to your frame under the bed. Posts are inserted from the bed to which the sqare rails attached. The hitch mounts on these rails. The advantage is the visible rail parts can be easily removed giving you full use of the truck bed.

2) The SUPERBRACKET mounting kit. These have special brackets which mount to yhour frame under the bed. The difference is...the square rails that go inside the bed are bolted permanantly to these brackets. You leave these rails installed in the bed...even with the hitch removed.

3) The Universal mounting kit. This system is basically like the SuperBracket kit...except the mounting brackets that go underneath the bed and attach to the frame are "L" brackets, not vehicle specific and require you to drill holes through the frame. Again, they are permanently mounted.

4) A square rail "ADAPTER" kit...that allows you to mount the old 14K and 18K superglide hitches to a truck that has the "Industry Standard" rails already installed. In your case...this is a waste...but pointing out that it does exist.

NEXT come the two SuperGlide hitches that can mount to "Industry Standard" rails. The 15K and 18K SuperGlide for Industry Standard Rails. When I purchased my hitch...they just started carrying the 15K for Industry Standard Rails...now they've added an 18K version to the line-up.

The Industry Standard Rails come a few different ways. You can buy the "Universal" Industry Standard rails from Reese, Husky, Curt, Valley, etc... They have "L" brackets that you must drill through your frame to mount and the rails bolt to these...and stay in the truck bed. Some are available with truck specific brackets, which use existing frame holes on your trucks frame...so you either don't have to drill, or drill just a couple of holes...

Then PULL RITE makes a "better than Industry Standard Rail" kit. It will accept all the hitches that use Industry Standard Rails...but they change the profile somewhat to make it a little stronger, supposedly.

I bought the Universal Industry Standard rails and mounted these to my truck. I think they were about $113 from Etrailer.com. I purchased the 15K Superglide for Industry Standard rails from tweetys.com...this ran a little more that $800... On the other end of the spectrum is the 18K Hitch using the SUPERRAIL mounting system.

ANY of the superglide hitches will also require you to install a "capture plate" on your 5th wheels kingpin...

It's a great system...with lots of choices for you to get just what you want.

Hope this helps...

I decided to go with the hitch that I did, because my 98 Dodge 2500 is good for about 10K of trailer or so. No use putting in a 24K hitch... The SuperGlide hitches designed for the Industry Standard rails were very priced on par with a lot of the good manual slider hitches. The Industry Standard rails can accept a gooseneck adapter plate, which woulld be a less expensive way to switch to gooseneck should the need ever arise... PullRIte makes a gooseneck adapter hitch for their proprietary rails...but it's much more expensive.

Have fun deciding...

kingdaddyusa

So. Cal.

View Profile

Posted: 05/07/11 04:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Can't do much better than Chuggs description!
I have the 16k Superglide with the Superrail kit and I love it!
Very well engineered IMO, and the Superrails allow a "clean" bed (ya, you do have 4 holes in the bed) which is very nice too.
I recommend the Superglide very highly!
If you would like some pics, let me know.
I am also using a MorRyde pinbox with it which works very well with the Superglide and gives me a very decent ride quality.

RV: 2010 Montana High Country 333DB, MorRyde pinbox, 2nd A/C, fireplace, BFGs, wetbolt kit, 2" receiver hitch and some more stuff...
TV: 2006 Dodge Megacab Cummins 4x4 with lots of "goodies"
Hitch...16k Pullrite Superglide

apacheb1

Fleetwood, Pa

View Profile

Posted: 05/07/11 05:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I do not think you can get anything shorter than 8 foot on a 3500 Chevy. as far as I know that is all they offer in the 3500 unless they made some recent changes. Do not worry about the hitch being to high. I have an 08 same body as the 2011's. My hitch is in the highest setting and I barely have 6 inches of clearance. If you are getting a truck with an 8' bed save yourself some money. You do not need a slider.

2008 Silverado 3500HD D/A CC DRW Quadzilla Tuner MBRP Exaust
2011 Grand Junction 364RL

Dieselgem

Northeast

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/07/11 05:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you are going with a long bed truck you most likely will use the standard 5er htich. Mine is a 25.5. Here is how it is installed in a Ford. I had the under the body type mounts in the last truck and it really did not matter to me. I have a bed cover and the height works fine. The hitch is easy to disassemble and take out.

08-KZ Escalade 41'CKS Escalade
2008 F450 Super Duty Truck
2003 FLSTS
2003 FLSTC (Wife's)

SooperDaddy

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 05/07/11 06:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Excellent choice for a hitch, by the way! PullRite customer service is second to none, and their hitches are beautifully yet ruggedly designed and made. Ours is now 7 years old and still going strong!

My posts shouldn't be taken for factual data, and are purely fictional, for entertainment purposes, should not be constituted as related to scientific, technical, engineering, legal, religious, spiritual, or practical advice. After all it's FREE! Amen.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Pullrite Superglide
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Good Sam Club | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS