Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Cold Weather 5th Wheel Travel Trailer
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Cold Weather 5th Wheel Travel Trailer

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
mn_voyageur

Panhandle

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/11 08:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am looking for a 5th wheel travel trailer.

My wife and I borrowed a bumper pull trailer from a friend and she decided that we should by a 5th wheel.

Since we have camped in really hot and cold climates, I would like to get a "Four Season" trailer. I am debating between a bunkhouse and a toy hauler. (Most of the toy haulers I have seen have two beds that are stored at the top.)

Another concern I have is that the trailers are beautiful. I am looking for something that we can take to a State or National Park not have to worry about ruining the carpet! (or the upholstery)

I am also planning on towing with a 1 ton truck.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks,
MarkN

n7bsn

Yes

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/11 08:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Take a look at Northwoods units, Arctic Fox, Desert Fox and Fox Mountain. That being said I think they have stopped making the Desert Fox Toy Hauler 5er

2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.

mn_voyageur

Panhandle

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/11 10:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hmmm. I read your reply. I read your signature. Then I re-read your reply.

I have looked at the Arctic Fox trailers. How much storage does yours have? (Even though trailers have sinks, I expect my wife to pack our kitchen sink.)

MarkN

n7bsn

Yes

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/11 10:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For us, a lot. There is the generator bay (two Honda EU-2000's, two chairs, three packs of Lynx level blocks), the main basement (two more chairs, three tables, tool box, rugs, laundry basket, etc), two storage under the booth (lights, cables, hoses, etc). Two openings for the landing gear (waste hoses and such). A large closet, dresser, shelves. More Kitchen storage then SWMBO has managed to use. Two bath vanities, a coat closet behind the entertainment center. Inside storage under the booth. (but it's neither a bunk-house nor a tow hauler)

Northwood is genrally very good about squeezing in every last bit of storage

donn0128

Pronounced Ore-gun

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/11 11:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mn_voyageur wrote:

I am looking for a 5th wheel travel trailer.

My wife and I borrowed a bumper pull trailer from a friend and she decided that we should by a 5th wheel.

Since we have camped in really hot and cold climates, I would like to get a "Four Season" trailer. I am debating between a bunkhouse and a toy hauler. (Most of the toy haulers I have seen have two beds that are stored at the top.)Northwood makes some of the best all season RV's for the average buyer. Nash and Arctic Fox have the same floor plans, the difference is the Fox gets more standard features.

Another concern I have is that the trailers are beautiful. I am looking for something that we can take to a State or National Park not have to worry about ruining the carpet! (or the upholstery)That being said the Arctic Fox or Nash are sort of plain inside and generally very durable. For us, we use throw rugs to help keep the carpets clean. Shampooing them a couple of times a season is not a big deal to me.

I am also planning on towing with a 1 ton truck.Gas,diesel, SRW dually? Makes a big difference.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks,
MarkN

Don,Lorri,Max (The Rescue Flat Coat Retriever?)
The Other Dallas

mn_voyageur

Panhandle

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/11 11:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

donn0128,

Diesel dually is being considered.

Now, to show my ignorance. (Better to ask now, than later!)
Why does it matter: "Gas,diesel, SRW dually"?

I have been told that the dually will handle better and the diesel will give me more power. Are these both that important?

MarkN

n7bsn

Yes

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/11 12:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gas==lower up-front cost, lower mpg, lower maintenance cost
diesel==higher up-front cost, higher mpg, higher maintenance cost

Which one suits you best depends, a lot

SRW== higher tow capacity
DRW== higher pin weight

See above

Diesel really only make since if you drive them, a lot. Like 20-30K a year. Then they really have a lower Total Cost of Ownership. If you drive less (I usually put on less then 8K per year) gas can make more sense.

SooperDaddy

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/11 01:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mark...

You can order some RV's with all tile floors instead of carpets.

Open Range 5th wheels have some of the best overall insulation, with R-38 Walls and floors, and an better than average R-9 in the walls. Order it with the dual pane windows and it is pretty much a 4 season unit. 2 year warranty.

Carriage Cameo 5ers have R-9 walls, R-24 floors and R-16 roofs and optional dual pane windows. Carriage builds their own chassis frame from scratch, and buld a quality unit, with the thickest fiberglass walls in the industry, and "hung wall" consrtuction instead of laminated. 2 year warranty.

I really like Jayco, and have owned 7 from new. The Jayco Eagle 5er has R-21 insulation value in roof, R-8 in sidewalls, R-24 in floor and underbelly, R-15 in slideout floors, and dual pane windows are optional. Leland Engineering Frames. 2 Year warranty.

Keystone Montana has R-21 floors, R-9 walls and R-38 roof. Lippert frames. Optional dual pane.

I like the folks over at Northwood Nash, they build their chassis frame from scratch right there at the factory..very rare! And the Actic Fox is a supurb trailer, and a lot of people tout the insulation as being the best, and even Arctic Fox says it is rated as a 4 season unit.

BUT with insulation being R-7 in the Floor and walls and R-18 roof...all of the above 5ers have better..and some are double the insulation! Thermal Pane windows are optional. A 1 year warranty. Nice folks to deal with, and quality every step of the way!

Also look at Heartland 5ers, they claim to have the biggest storage compartments. R-14 Roof and floor, R-7 walls are rather minimal however for 4 season use.

Also make sure to order the largest roof top A/C available (or 2!)for those toasty summer days!

Also be advised that State and National Parks have restricted length limits, so don't go too long with the 5er! Yosemite for example says only 12 sites take 35' trailers..the rest only 24'! In California, almost half the State parks only take under 32'!

Good luck!

My posts shouldn't be taken for factual data, and are purely fictional, for entertainment purposes, should not be constituted as related to scientific, technical, engineering, legal, religious, spiritual, or practical advice. After all it's FREE! Amen.

donn0128

Pronounced Ore-gun

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/11 03:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

n7bsn wrote:

Gas==lower up-front cost, lower mpg, lower maintenance cost
diesel==higher up-front cost, higher mpg, higher maintenance costAge old argument against diesels. Which IMHO does not hold much water

Which one suits you best depends, a lot

SRW== higher tow capacity
DRW== higher pin weight
Depending on brand. Dodge does not make any distinction between the two, towing a fifth wheel or a TT is all the same.

See above

Diesel really only make since if you drive them, a lot. Like 20-30K a year. Then they really have a lower Total Cost of Ownership. If you drive less (I usually put on less then 8K per year) gas can make more sense.

If you are towing heavy diesel is the only game in town. No one is currently making a big block gas motor as far as I know. yes, you can get used V10 Fords or 8.1L gas V8 GM's but expect to get 6-8 towing MPG with them. A good diesel will pull better, longer and get better fuel economy overall.
Bottom line it does really depend on how big of a fifth wheel you are looking at. For a fiver under 30 feet it makes no sense to get a dually. Over that then get a diesel dually. Under that again depending on size/weight it might be a toss up between gas and diesel, but no matter what get a 1 ton.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Cold Weather 5th Wheel Travel Trailer
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Good Sam Club | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS