Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Wal-Mart deep cycle RV/Marine batteries
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Wal-Mart deep cycle RV/Marine batteries

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Pokey2

Bel Marin Keys, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/01/11 12:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ksg5000 wrote:

Find a Costco - should have the lowest battery prices --- a Marine type 24 sells for $68 which is $20-30 cheaper than Les Schwab (same exact battery)….

I thought, based on what I’ve read on these forums, that you don’t want a “marine” battery as opposed to a true deep-cycle one for your coach, whether it be 6 or 12 volts. Am I wrong?

Captjack

Reno, NV, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/01/11 03:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You are correct. You want two 6V golf cart batteries or one or more 12V flooded cell deep discharge batteries. If you have room for two, the golf cart battery is the way to go. I replaced my Trojans last year with golf cart ones from Costco at half the price. The weight and ratings were similar. FWIW: Jack in Reno

4x4van

California

View Profile

Posted: 08/02/11 08:21am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kamphiker wrote:

Sam's / Costco sells true deep cycle (golf cart batteries) 6 volt. These are the batteries that RV people usually talk about buying from warehouse clubs. You will need 2 & connect then in Parallel. When connecting in Parallel you are doubling the capacity (amp hours) of the battery while maintaining the voltage of one of the individual batteries.

Ummmm...actually, you'll want to hook up two 6-volt batteries in series, which will double the voltage (from 6V to 12V) while maintaining the capacity (amp hours).

We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

1988 Fleetwood Jamboree S26 27'
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R (2), '85 BW200, '07 TRX400EX, '12 Husky TE310
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II, '95 FX1

grandpa & nana

Granbury, TX--Rociada, NM

View Profile

Posted: 08/02/11 10:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Interstate: They are everywhere and very reliable

grandpa & nana

''The only requirement for evil to flourish is for good men to do nothing.'' Edmund Burke

sodajerk

Dallas, Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/02/11 10:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sam's / Costco sells true deep cycle (golf cart batteries) 6 volt. These are the batteries that RV people usually talk about buying from warehouse clubs. You will need 2 & connect then in Parallel. When connecting in Parallel you are doubling the capacity (amp hours) of the battery while maintaining the voltage of one of the individual batteries. This is the way to go for much longer life if you discharge your batteries a lot (like dry camping etc.).

Actually, connect them in series for 12 volts.

I have 2 from Sam's that are 3 years old, doing fine. Interstate Brand

Happy Camping
Jim & Jo Ann
1973 Wide Body Superior Class B on a Chevy 1 Ton Van. 350 Fuel Injection
"Oldie but goodie"

Gale Hawkins

Murray, KY

View Profile

Posted: 08/02/11 01:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I plan to buy my next batteries from the local Interstate Battery distributor. Last week I went in to see about some 55ah AGM's to a used power chair I purchased for $100. The rep said he wanted me to test it before buying $250 worth of batteries and I told him I was sure one had a dead cell.

The short of it he happened to a pair of Werkers that was the same size. He said someone had dropped them off because somehow they came up with new batteries being shipped to them and wanted to dispose of them. On testing them they both tested good under load and where hot he said. He said he could not really sell them to anyone very well and if I would give him my old ones that he would let me have them.

He could have pushed for a new sale but just did not want to see a good set of batteries go for junk lead. I had only bought one battery from them before for a home generator. The service was great.

Wardriver

United States

View Profile

Posted: 08/19/11 06:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sergeant80 wrote:

I asked for a deep cycle battery at Walmart and they sold me a marine battery. I called the company and was informed that it was not a deep cycle. I returned it to Walmart for a true deep cycle. No problems since.

Hi Sergeant80, The marine battery Walmart initially sold you, was it a marine STARTING battery? What is the name or model of the "true deep cycle" battery you bought? All I see at my local Walmart are marine batteries. The largest being 125 AH @ 1A rate.

StarkNaked

West Seattle, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/19/11 09:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sergeant80 wrote:

I asked for a deep cycle battery at Walmart and they sold me a marine battery. I called the company and was informed that it was not a deep cycle. I returned it to Walmart for a true deep cycle. No problems since.

As noted by Sergeant80, there is a big difference between a "marine deep cycle" and a true "deep cycle".

Thanks to AM Solar:

Types of Batteries
•Starting or 'Cranking'
This type of battery is designed with many, very thin plates so that there is a lot of surface area exposed to the electrolyte. This design allows the battery to give up a large amount of power in a short period of time and also allows it to be recharged rapidly at a heavy rate. Cranking a big V-8 engine requires this kind of power. It is, however, a very poor choice when used as a 'house' or 'domestic' battery as it can only withstand 15 to 30 deep cycles before it needs replacing.

•True Deep Cycle (available in Flooded and AGM styles)
These batteries are designed with relatively few, thick plates. This design allows a small amount of power to be used over a long period of time and requires a slow to moderate recharge rate. These are the batteries to be used in 'house' or 'domestic' applications as they can withstand 700 to 800 deep cycles (or more depending on size and type) before they need replacing. Generally speaking, 6 volt Golf Cart batteries are true deep cycle types. (note: not all batteries labeled "Deep Cycle" are TRUE Deep Cycle batteries. See RV/Marine below)

•RV/Marine "Deep Cycle"
These batteries are basically a 'hybrid' between a Cranking battery and a True Deep Cycle battery. They were originally designed for the marine industry where there was only one battery used for both cranking the engine and for running the lights and electronics when the boat was at anchor. They needed a little of both kinds of batteries to meet that need. This type of battery can withstand around 300 to 400 deep cycles before they need replacing. They are adequate as 'house' or 'domestic' batteries but are not nearly as good or long lived as True Deep Cycle types. Modern motorhomes have seperate battery banks now, one for 'cranking' and one for 'domestic' use so there is no need for this type of battery anymore. Your money will be better spent buying True Deep Cycle batteries for 'house' or 'domestic' applications.

AM Solar

Wardriver

United States

View Profile

Posted: 08/19/11 10:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yeah, I'm hoping he can chime in on exactly what make/model battery he found there.

hermant

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 08/24/11 02:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've had good success with NAPA. They have a line of deep cycle batteries that are not too, too pricey. They are a real deep cycle design and identical replacements to my original equipment (which I ruined by letting them get too low). Too soon to know how well they will last but wish me luck!

2012 Ford F150 Ecoboost Supercrew
2012 Crossroads Cruiser CF27RLX

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Wal-Mart deep cycle RV/Marine batteries
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Good Sam Club | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS