Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Diesel fuel additives, how many use it?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Diesel fuel additives, how many use it?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
wny_pat

Western NYS

View Profile

Posted: 10/03/11 09:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MotorPro wrote:

Doesn't the fact that the companies who make and have to warantee the engines tell you not to add anything tell you something?
Well, when you are sitting beside the road and the temperature is 20 below and the engine will not run because the fuel is gelled up, one does not much care what the engine companies tell you. And we see that often here in the Northeast. Been there and done that.

As to lubricity of diesel fuel, you need to know what the injector pump manufacturers are saying: "ASTM lubricity task force: disagreement on test limit severity". The engine companies say the lubricity is okay, but the injector and injector pump say it is lacking yet! Never has been resolved as far as I know.

And here is the full additive study that was referenced in previous posts: http://www.johnfjensen.com/Diesel_fuel_additive_test.pdf

“All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.”

Crespro

SoCal

View Profile

Posted: 10/03/11 10:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wny_pat wrote:

MotorPro wrote:

Doesn't the fact that the companies who make and have to warantee the engines tell you not to add anything tell you something?
Well, when you are sitting beside the road and the temperature is 20 below and the engine will not run because the fuel is gelled up, one does not much care what the engine companies tell you. And we see that often here in the Northeast. Been there and done that.

As to lubricity of diesel fuel, you need to know what the injector pump manufacturers are saying: "ASTM lubricity task force: disagreement on test limit severity". The engine companies say the lubricity is okay, but the injector and injector pump say it is lacking yet! Never has been resolved as far as I know.

And here is the full additive study that was referenced in previous posts: http://www.johnfjensen.com/Diesel_fuel_additive_test.pdf

Good study. After reading the lubricity studies, I decided to use Optilube XPD every two or three tanks. Costs about $100 per year for my mileage, so since I gave up the spirits two decades ago, it probably is a better use of funds.[emoticon]

Crespro 2005 Diplomat 40 PAQ/2014 Buick Enclave M&G Demco

BigSkyBob

Helena, Montana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/03/11 10:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Power Service every fillup.

2008 Monaco Camelot 40PDQ, 4 slides, 2016 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi Quadcab 4x4. Blue Ox, Garmin 760 LRM GPS, Doran Pressure pro on all 10, M&G Brake, 50 amp SurgeGuard, FMCA, Coachnet.

ol Bombero-JC

USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/03/11 11:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The entire Lubricity Additive Study procedure, methods, participants
(who and how it was paid for) - and continuing discussion should have been posted!.

That info is well worth reading - *BEFORE* - the ratings!.[emoticon]

ULSD Lubricity Study

Note: The study results were posted in 2007 - and discussion continues today (2011).

BTW - Of course, you should follow the engine mfgr's recommendations for your year and brand - whether it's a pickup, MH, MDT or HDT.
(Very important for engines *requiring* ULSD fuel)

And - the OTR fleets *not* using additives is *NOT* a good indicator!.[emoticon]
Most fleets trade 'em at or (well) before the B-50 for the engines involved.

~

John & Angela

World Travelers.

View Profile

Posted: 10/04/11 07:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

But are we missing the real reason for some of these products? It seems boosting cetane levels is what the goal of many is. That seems to be fords stance and it is why we use it in our smart car as North American cetane levels seem a little lower than european levels.

I'm not downplaying the need for improved lubricity with ULSD but I wonder how many are more concerned with the cetane levels than with lubricity issues.

2003 Revolution 40C Class A. Electric smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

shum02

Burlington ON CDA

View Profile

Posted: 10/04/11 08:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was in getting parts for my F150 at my local Ford Truck dealer and they had boxes of their formula behind the counter. They're pretty pround of the stuff though based on the price so I stick to PS's product [emoticon]

2006 F350 Lariat FX4 CC 4x4 PSD
2007 KZ2505QSS-F Outdoorsman

Smitty77

OnDRoad

View Profile

Posted: 10/04/11 12:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

John (Assume John[emoticon]!,

I did lots of surf-u-cation, and decided to try Cetane (happen to use Amsoil) booster for a year, to see if I could detect more power and or better MPG. Mostly interested in anything that would bump the power output just a tad.

I also run Silver Oak, I mean XPD, for the added lubrication.

I don't know if I'll continue running Cetane booster or not, but I'M keeping records to do a comparison.

So far, my seat of the pants, has not detected 'more power'[emoticon]!

Best to all,
Smitty

John & Angela

World Travelers.

View Profile

Posted: 10/04/11 02:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gsmitty77 wrote:

John (Assume John[emoticon]!,

I did lots of surf-u-cation, and decided to try Cetane (happen to use Amsoil) booster for a year, to see if I could detect more power and or better MPG. Mostly interested in anything that would bump the power output just a tad.

I also run Silver Oak, I mean XPD, for the added lubrication.

I don't know if I'll continue running Cetane booster or not, but I'M keeping records to do a comparison.

So far, my seat of the pants, has not detected 'more power'[emoticon]!

Best to all,
Smitty

Thanks for the input. I seem to get the same affect when I use biodiesel but its hard to find. Not sure what this means but there is a detectable change in how it runs and the noise it makes. Time will tell.

klm

SIOUX FALLS, SD

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/04/11 02:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use Lucas, also. I had to replace the fuel pump last year, and the Cummins tech recommended adding a treatment of lucas about every 4 fill ups. I said the new diesel fuel configuration does not have the same lubricating qualities. I figure it won't do any harm. By the way, I have a 5.9 ISB 300hp.

'02 KOUNTRY STAR DP
2012 HONDA FIT "PUMPKINMOBILE"
GILLIGAN- 1ST MATE CAT - 3 HR TOUR

ol Bombero-JC

USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/04/11 02:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fordsooperdooty wrote:

I use Power Service Diesel Kleen every single tank full for almost 8 years and 130,000 miles on a supposedly "problem prone" 6.0 Ford PowerStrole Diesel. Never spend a day in a repair shop, still strong puller, EGR Valve was pulled by me and it's shiney chrome-like clean, no deposits or gunk.

PS has been around since 1956, is the #1 selling Diesel Supplement, a title it has held since 1981. Many large fleets use it, including WalMarts 6,800 diesel trucks using 284,859,752 gallons per year...and Walmart is the largest distributer of Diesel Kleen in the World. The active ingredient is Slickdiesel, a Lubricator technology that sets the standard in preventing fuel pump and injector wear.

I just tell my friends with diesels that it's cheap insurance on their expensive diesel engines.

[image]

Unless the notorious 6.0 *head gasket* problems are somehow related to the EGR problems - other than clean injectors, etc. - would like to know your rationale for *any* additive keeping your 6.0 internals healthy?.[emoticon]

BTW: the best head gasket repair - never authorized by Ford - is the aftermarket head gaskets and ARP studs.

The diesel shop close to me is owned by a former Ford Mechanic (Tuttle Click Ford)- and once out of warranty, this is the "gold standard" for blown 6.0 head gaskets.

6.0 Ford diesels are his "bread and butter" - many of his customers had the ford head gasket repairs (under warranty) performed more than once - *his* fix doesn't require any returns - nor does he want any.

Lots of unhappy Ford dealership customers - lots of *very* happy customers from his shop.

~

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Diesel fuel additives, how many use it?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS