Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Snowbirds: UPS Mailbox and forwarding service
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Snowbirds

Open Roads Forum  >  Snowbirds

> UPS Mailbox and forwarding service

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
wanda573

missouri

View Profile

Posted: 10/07/11 07:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi,

We are considering using the UPS store near our snowbird location to have our mail forwarded to. I understand that I fill out a temporary US post office mail forwarding and use the UPS address to have mail forwarded to. So if you have used it does all your mail get forwarded. I'm worried that the Post Office will not forward all my letters. How much does it cost? Are you satisfied with the service? Did the post office send all of your mail? Thanks for any info you can provide.

odie1234

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 10/07/11 07:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We use a UPS mailbox every spring/summer. First class mail (all of it) is forwarded - no magazines or junk mail. We love the service from UPS. We just send an email and let them know when and how to forward mail and where to. They will even call/email if something arrives that looks important or unusual. Don't remember the cost - not a lot plus mail forwarding is more expensive if you need stuff overnighted, etc.

On edit - reread your post and see you will be having mail forwarded by USPS to your snowbird location. First class mail will be forwarded. Magazines and junk will not.

2007 35TSB Tiffin Allegro Bay FRED
2007 Honda CR-V

wanda573

missouri

View Profile

Posted: 10/07/11 08:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi again,

Thanks for the replies. So what happens to the magazines?

Earl E

Green Valley, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/07/11 07:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As Odie said, First Class mail will be forwarded, other stuff, not. The cost varies widely as every place is free to set their own prices. There are many great mail forwarding services so you just have to check them out as to price. Before we went full-time we used the temporary mail forwarding to Good Sam's service and never had a problem with either the post office or Good Sam.

2007 Northwoods Arctic Fox 32 5S Fifth Wheel used for fulltiming for several years--SOLD
2011 Keystone 23rks Hideout to poke around the smaller parks in the great Southwest
2007 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Diesel
Prodigy brake control

Tom N

Sarver, PA/Crystal River, FL/Shelocta, PA

View Profile

Posted: 10/07/11 08:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have my mail temporarily forwarded by the USPS. All mail is forwarded for 60 days. Then only the 1st class.

The USPS also has a PREMIUM mail forwarding service. This service forwards all of you mail but at a weekly fee of ~$10.

-Tom

Sarver, PA/Crystal River, FL/Shelocta, PA · W3TLN · FMCA 335149 · Mystic Knights of the Sea
2005 Suncruiser 38R · W24 chassis, no chassis mods needed · 2013 Honda Accord EX-L · 2008 Honda Odyssey EX-L

garry1p

Oklahoma

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/07/11 08:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have used USPS to UPS and "as far as I know" I have never had a problem but I can't say everything has been forwarded there is just no way of knowing.

I'm satisfied with the way it works but I have USPS forward the mail to our local (home town) UPS and have them forward to where ever that way I control when and where stuff gets forward to at the CG if allowed or "USPS general delivery hold for pick-up" at whatever location I want my mail sent to.

Garry1p

1990 Holiday Rambler Aluma Lite XL
454 on P-30 Chassis
1999 Jeep Cherokee sport

mockturtle

WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/07/11 08:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One of the great benefits to mail forwarding is no junk mail!!

2015 Tiger Bengal TX
Chevy 3500HD, V8

blangen

South Dakota... and everywhere.

View Profile

Posted: 10/08/11 08:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As OP describes, we have USPS forward to UPS Store and UPS sends us our mail as we request. Unfortunately, we have found that credit and bank cards, for example, put "Do Not Forward" on their replacement card envelopes so they get returned by USPS.

RRUGG

Newaygo, MI,USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/08/11 10:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We've used the USPS remailing program in the past. Everything including junk mail. Works very well but pricey. Last we used it a few years ago we had to pay $10-&15 to set it up and $12 per mailing. You decide how often you want the mailings. If you use their temp forwarding you get first class and mags. But I think they will only forward mags for a month or will hold them for a month. I assume (probably shouldn't do that) that they then toss the mags. They told me to change the addresses with the magazines but that can take up to 6-8 weeks and then you have to change back. We've lost several issues because of that. We did a temp forwarding to our son for first class and changed the mags address to him. Then periodically he'd put our stuff in one of those "if it fits it ships" envelopes at $4.95 per and send it to us.

RRUGG
2009 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ 1500 4x4 5.3L
2011 Kodiak 281RLGS travel trailer
2011 Egg Camper
2010 Chrysler Town & Country
Good Sam life members
Bob & Grace professional retirees

Camped in 49 states. Missing Hawaii.

rehoppe

Denver & Nathrop Colo or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 10/08/11 11:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you like the forwarding service provided by the USPS (Post Office)... Try simply renting a Post Office Box from the Post Office at your Temp location. That way the USPS gets some revenue for the service they provide. It's quicker and probably more efficient as well, while you are supporting the USPS instead of UPS.

The 'Premium Forwarding Service' was established for those that were just too lazy to pay attention. You get All your mail, bulk, 'Do not forward', Magazines, coupons,,, everything.

If you don't need credit cards, coupons, etc the regular 'forwarding' service is good. And easy.

One thing to watch IF you use a 'Private' box service. You cannot forward From there without paying for, or keeping the service you have established with them. So you do need to pay attention to what might be left in the system, when you leave the temp address.

Hoppe
2011 Dodge 1500 C'boy Caddy
2000 Jayco C 28' Ford chassis w V-10 E450
Doghouse 36' or so Trophy Classic TT

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Snowbirds

> UPS Mailbox and forwarding service
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Snowbirds

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Good Sam Club | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS