Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: MPG or R-Pod Owners
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> MPG or R-Pod Owners

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Wills250psd

walnutcove NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/27/11 02:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I saw one at ocean lakes it was kinda small but looked nice. it said it was eco friendly or something. they pulled it with some sorta little toyota suv. it had a blowed up picture of there dog on it his name must have been pudge it said pudges pod.

bakerkids

IL

View Profile

Posted: 12/27/11 06:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I went in two different models at an RV show last year. Like another person said, I prefer more windows. The R-Pods can be purchased with an add-a-room, which I think is called the R-Dome. To me, something like that gives you the best of both worlds. Our T@B has an add-a-room, so it makes it perfect for me, hubby and me, or with the room attached, any of our 3 college-age kids. I would suggest you visit here:

http://www.rpodnation.com/

Keep in mind these people for the most part love their trailers, but you may get more specific information.

Many suggest buying your second trailer first and go bigger now. However, some of us have gone the other route. While our kids were younger we camped in a 28' Holiday Alumalite MH. Now we have a T@B, and it's perfect for now. I have a feeling when/if we upgrade, one of our kids will latch unto the T@B. Our son chooses to sleep there often when he comes home from school.

We can also pull our small trailer almost anywhere, including into our daughter's fenced-in back yard in a college town. We can push it in place by hand.

Me '62, DH '59, DS '89, DD '90, DD '92
4 K9s
Our photos

retiredtraveler

Woodstock Il --- GO HIKING!!!!

View Profile

Posted: 12/28/11 06:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kind of following other responses. No, don't have one but have been researching RPOD, KZ Spree, Fun Finder, and Lance. There are only two of us and we do extended camping --- usually camp 7-25 days at a time.
These are all "mid sized' trailers (as opposed to smaller egg shapes). Other posters mentioned them --- before you make any decisions, I would at least take a look at them online. I would consider A-frame-type campers too, but no dealers around here.
We would be going smaller than our pup, but we want a fully enclosed trailer at this point.
Also, if looking at these smaller units, definitely consider the slide-outs --- based on your posting, you're aware of them. You'll also notice in the units we're discussing, they're all light. Many manufacturers use 'light or lite' in their descriptions, but most often, they are 4000+ pounds.
Decide if you want a wet or dry bath --- pros and cons with those.

I would also consider some type of tent or awning to sit outdoors in. RPOD nation forum doesn't seem to like the tent that is an option with an RPOD, but there are plenty of stand-alone units out there.

Definitely look at RPOD nation; someone provided you a link. That will give you far more info from people who actually own the units. I've been on that forum asking questions too.
This Spring will be our time to go to Chicago RV show and visit dealers.

Pup: 2007 Jayco 1206 w/slide-out + shower
surge brakes, 54w solar panel
TV: 2005 Nissan Xterra 4X4, manual trans
25 years tent camping, 4000+ miles of hiking, lots of biking

rexlion

Broken Arrow OK

View Profile

Posted: 12/27/11 10:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Although curved, according to posts by owners the fuel economy with these two isn't much different than a more square-shaped trailer. If the top edges were rounded over like on the fiberglass eggs, the frontal area would be decreased and they would do better in that regard.

I looked at both trailers. Didn't like having the bathroom in the middle, it made the trailer feel cramped to me. ended up with a 16' KZ Spree Escape with rear bath (E14RB). It seems more open and spacious than a similar-size trailer with walls placed in the middle of the trailer. KZ has some good floorplans, and they are really affordable. Typical quality... not as good as the Lance, but pretty close to same as the two you're looking at.

Mike G.
2008 Toyota Highlander
sold trailer, shopping for another

g&cvaughn

Nampa, ID

View Profile

Posted: 12/27/11 06:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All of us R-Pod owners are very loyal to our units, and love the cozy feel and ease of towing that we enjoy with them. You can find all the information you want and more at these two forums dedicated to R-Pod owners:
R-Pod Nation Forums
and
R-Pod Owners Forums

We have the 182G model, which features a "Garage" area (essentially a tailgate kitchen for outdoor cooking), 2 bunks, and a large U-shaped dinette that makes into a queen bed. You can find information specifically about this model here: R-Pod 182G

We love it because it is the same width of our tow vehicle, very light, and easy to get into and out of small areas. It also has a slide out for the kitchen area, which makes it much roomier inside. The bath is small-ish, but very functional for us. It is a great TT that works very well for us, and that is after we down-sized from a 30 ft. class C motorhome.

2011 R-Pod 182G Hood River Edition
2000 Ford F-150 5.4L TV
The DW, 1 mini-mutt, 1 Chug, 1 fuzzbutt Golden Retriever
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans..." -John Lennon

bakerkids

IL

View Profile

Posted: 12/28/11 08:11am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rexlion wrote:

Although curved, according to posts by owners the fuel economy with these two isn't much different than a more square-shaped trailer. If the top edges were rounded over like on the fiberglass eggs, the frontal area would be decreased and they would do better in that regard.

I looked at both trailers. Didn't like having the bathroom in the middle, it made the trailer feel cramped to me. ended up with a 16' KZ Spree Escape with rear bath (E14RB). It seems more open and spacious than a similar-size trailer with walls placed in the middle of the trailer. KZ has some good floorplans, and they are really affordable. Typical quality... not as good as the Lance, but pretty close to same as the two you're looking at.

I totally agree with the bathroom statement. In that small of a trailer, I don't want anything blocking the line of sight. A bath at one end may be okay. For us, we prefer to use the campground facilities or a luggable loo for night use.

The RV shows should be on-going at this time. I believe the St. Louis show is usually in January. Visit a show or a dealer to get a "feel". I know sometimes that turns me completely around.

g&cvaughn

Nampa, ID

View Profile

Posted: 12/28/11 09:10am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GWolfe wrote:

That R-Pod garage model looks interesting, I wonder how much room is lost on the inside.

Not much is lost, as these units are about 1 1/2 ft. longer than the other models.

GWolfe wrote:

I have found that some of the bag type awnings will work on these, I imagine one could then do the add-a-room if they wanted.

We have the R-Dome, but don't use it very much. With the back garage, we use an EZ-up over that area, which is where we spend most of our time anyway.

GWolfe wrote:

The wet/dry bath thing doesn't seem to bother me, I will be using the park showers most of the time. I haven't had a camper with a bathroom yet.

Same with us. We use the park showers, but it's easy to use our wet bath as well.

GWolfe wrote:

I am thinking I want to stay with a single axle due to ease of maneuverability. Am I crazy for thinking this way?

Not crazy at all - one axle makes for easy maneuvering and one less axle to maintain.
Good luck with your "hunt".

GWolfe

Kansas

View Profile

Posted: 12/28/11 08:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have been spending time on both the R-Pod and MPG forums. Found some good info.

That R-Pod garage model looks interesting, I wonder how much room is lost on the inside.

The gas mileage really isn't that much better with either of these units, I have a V-8 4wd pickup so gas mileage isn't that big of deal anyway.

I have found that some of the bag type awnings will work on these, I imagine one could then do the add-a-room if they wanted.

The wet/dry bath thing doesn't seem to bother me, I will be using the park showers most of the time. I haven't had a camper with a bathroom yet.

I really like that Lance but they are kind of pricey and there aren't any very close to me. Love the floorplan though.

I like the looks of the KZ referenced above but I want to have a permanent bed and a dinette. There are some bunk models with the dinette in front and bunks along one of the side walls which I kinda like. I'm not opposed to a single bunk as I sleep by myself, well and my little dog Bender, I can use the top bunk for clothes or whatever.

I am on the fence about hybrids, I think I want to get away from canvas.

I am thinking I want to stay with a single axle due to ease of maneuverability. Am I crazy for thinking this way?

Thanks to everybody for their input, y'all have given me a lot to think about.

Flagstaff 617SD 1991
04 Silverado

GWolfe

Kansas

View Profile

Posted: 12/28/11 08:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have camped in a small TT in the past so I am used to the lack of space.

We camped three adults in the Comet once, that was fun. Unfortunately she has had some serious leaks in the past and is rotting away, some day I would like to rebuild her.

bakerkids

IL

View Profile

Posted: 12/28/11 09:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Marti's Custom Awnings are another option. She makes them for vintage trailers and others that can't be equipped with the traditional awning.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> MPG or R-Pod Owners
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Good Sam Club | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS