Open Roads Forum

Print  |  Close

Topic: Cat engine oil filter brand??

Posted By: wagonmaster2 on 01/02/12 12:51pm

I'm getting ready to do my 1-year oil change on a C-7 Cat engine and almost panicked when I couldn't fine my Cat oil filter I always keep on hand. Especially since I wouldn't have time to order one and still make my 1-year requirement (have an extended warranty and try to adhear precisely to manufacturer's maintenance). And I'm over 100 miles from the nearest Cat supplier. Fortunately I had just put it in a different site from my usually filter storage box.

My question is: Do any of you Cat owners use any other brand of oil filter other than Cat? If so, what's a good brand to use in case I do actually have a senior moment and forget to keep stocked up on my Cat filters when I'm in the big City? There's a small diesel shop and a Truck Parts Shop in town but know from past experience they don't carry any Cat parts, but they do order them which does take time.

Wagonmaster2
2004 Meridian G36 Cat C-7 330HP

Posted By: wolfe10 on 01/02/12 12:59pm

Call that Caterpillar dealer and ask if they have parts drop offs in your town. Many dealers do deliver to repair shops outside their market area. We arranged this when we needed a part and were in west Texas. The San Antonio dealer ran a parts truck every day to Eagle Pass. Delivery free-- I just arranged to pick up the part at one of the parts truck's regular stops.

But as a direct answer, I do only use Cat filters. And if I have a Cummins, would only use their filters. Too many aftermarket sub-standard knock-off filters (as well as some well made ones).

Brett Wolfe
1997 Safari Sahara 3540
EX: 1993 Foretravel 36' U-240

FMCA Forum: www.community.fmca.com/index

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

Posted By: sailor_lou on 01/02/12 01:01pm

Whether it be my car/truck/boat/MOHO, I stick with the OEM filters. You can usually find them online for pretty close to the price of the aftermarket stuff (esp. if you purchase a few at the same time). In a pinch, I'd go with a WIX filter, which is consistently rated well. My .02 worth.

Lou
05 Travel Supreme Envoy
CAT C-7

Posted By: revump on 01/02/12 01:34pm

I use CAT or FL and always have an extra set in the basement.

Bob

Posted By: wny_pat on 01/02/12 01:45pm

As far a fuel filters, I don't think anyone makes one better than Cats! So if I had a Cat engine, it would have the Cat fuel filter on it!!! That comes from a Cummins guy!

“All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.”

Posted By: wagonmaster2 on 01/02/12 02:06pm

wolfe10 wrote:

Call that Caterpillar dealer and ask if they have parts drop offs in your town. Many dealers do deliver to repair shops outside their market area. We arranged this when we needed a part and were in west Texas. The San Antonio dealer ran a parts truck every day to Eagle Pass. Delivery free-- I just arranged to pick up the part at one of the parts truck's regular stops.

But as a direct answer, I do only use Cat filters. And if I have a Cummins, would only use their filters. Too many aftermarket sub-standard knock-off filters (as well as some well made ones).

Thanks Brett, never thought about a drop-off like that from a dealer. I'll check with the local shops and see if that's been done here in town. I had spare Cat fuel filters in my filter/oil crate but had just neglected to put the new oil filter in there when I got a set of thermostats and the oil filter last spring. After the initial shock of not finding the oil filter I started doing a brain search (which didn't take much time), started putting 2 & 2 together remembering my last visit to a Cat dealer, looked where I'd put the thermostates, and there was my oil filter. I use Wix filters on my Jeep, Chev PU, and Honda Accord, but I have always kept with Cat filter on my motor home.

Wagonmaster2

Posted By: wagonmaster2 on 01/02/12 02:08pm

revump wrote:

That's what I've always tried to do but thought maybe I'd screwed up this time. Will certainly pay more attention to my supplies from now on.

Wagonmaster2

Posted By: Buck62 on 01/02/12 03:24pm

My Cat C9 came from Spartan with Fleetguard filters on it. I have specified Cat branded filters ever since my first oil change. Don't know why Spartan used Fleetguard (Cummins) filters must have had a lot in their inventory. The Cat yellow filters match my engine better than the Fleetguard white.

Posted By: Freightguy on 01/02/12 03:27pm

I keep a spreadsheet of my coaches filters and the ones they cross with. I have never used an OEM filter due to the cost of them.

Here's an example:
Engine Cat C7
Oil Filter:
Cat- 1R-1807 -
Baldwin = B7700
Wix
Fram
Napa Fil 1791

You are not allowed to see this info.
2005 Tiffin Phaeton 40QDH
2007 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

Posted By: wolfe10 on 01/02/12 03:42pm

Freightguy wrote:

I keep a spreadsheet of my coaches filters and the ones they cross with. I have never used an OEM filter due to the cost of them.

Here's an example:
Engine Cat C7
Oil Filter:
Cat- 1R-1807 -
Baldwin = B7700
Wix
Fram
Napa Fil 1791

Curious-- how much do you save a year by using a non-factory filter?

* This post was edited 01/02/12 04:14pm by wolfe10 *

Posted By: revump on 01/02/12 09:04pm

Wasn't trying to give you a hard time. In fact, you reminded me to check tomorrow to make sure I have the filters before I take mine in. Sometimes they don't have the right filters. Thanks for the reminder.

wagonmaster2 wrote:

revump wrote:

That's what I've always tried to do but thought maybe I'd screwed up this time. Will certainly pay more attention to my supplies from now on.

Wagonmaster2

Posted By: randco on 01/03/12 03:47am

A Cat 1R1807 is also a FRAM HPH49A, Fleetguard LF3379 or Luberfiner LFP3191G. The Fleetguard ($8.88) and the Luberfiner ($7.90) can be purchased from the Filter Barn.

Posted By: Freightguy on 01/03/12 06:58am

wolfe10 wrote:

Freightguy wrote:

Here's an example:
Engine Cat C7
Oil Filter:
Cat- 1R-1807 -
Baldwin = B7700
Wix
Fram
Napa Fil 1791

Curious-- how much do you save a year by using a non-factory filter?

The savings can be measured by time and money. OEM filter are not convenient to all areas. So you could be chasing them for a few days. When I do my servicing, I do the oil filter, the fuel filter, the gen oil & fuel and the Air filter. I do the Engine air filter when needed. My Jeep also needs oil and air filters and my refrigerator need a water filter every 6 months. So I bet if I tallied all those up the saving would be well over $100.00 per year. That $100.00 could buy me 28 gallons of diesel and allow me to travel (which I prefer than doing oil changes) for about 175 miles.

Posted By: wolfe10 on 01/03/12 07:30am

Freight Guy,

Interesting answer. I have never found a real price difference in using aftermarket filters, but I have never "chased them for a few days". I just pick them up ahead of time when driving by a dealership.

Also, I suspect most owners of Caterpillar powered coaches are aware that members of the Caterpillar RV Engine Owners Club, which is an FMCA Chapter get a 10% discount on all Caterpillar parts for their RV's at Caterpillar dealers (not Freightliner or other dealers who work on Cat engines, just at Caterpillar dealers). Dues are $15/year.

Print  |  Close