cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

'71 Starcraft Wanderstar- "The Hilton"

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Thought I should post this up because the "Search" feature doesn't return any results and there might be some useful info for older Starcraft owners or those that are mad enough to embark on a complete restoration.

I purchased this 1971 Starcraft-Wanderstar from a local chap with a special purpose in mind: Gutting out the interior to insulate and make comfrotable for working stiffs like myself and, in particular, for those doing work-camping in the upper Midwest. My criteria was: a name brand with solid fame construction, a body that could be worked with (no accident damage, and good running gear (wheels, tires, bearings, and hitch, etc.) I also focused my purchase towards a TT from 19'->26'. I have a Ford F-250 4x4, CC with trailer and tow package. Pictures of "The Hilton" (named and painted by a previous owner) as bought:

I am currently still working on the Hilton and have about three weeks into it, so far. I am keeping a pictorial work log and will share most of it if others are interested. I have totally gutted the inside and am discarding most of the mechanicals, along with replacing and eliminating windows, repairing water-damaged framing (all of the wall top plates and half of the studs), relocating most of the plumbing, replacing all of the wiring, and installing a completely different decorative style.

To give an idea of what I found after gutting out the inside, here is a picture of the driver's side and the wheel well:

Here is that same area after reconstruction, the new wheel well frame is skinned with 16 ga. steel sheet, inside, and sprayed with truck bed liner. The frame is insulated and there is a thermal break between any out side joining surfaces and the inside sheeting.

Two of the most cantankerous aspects have been the replacement of the top wall plates and aluminum trim rail and removal of the floor to insulate. The major obstacle to the first is the amount of various goop that was used by previous owners to stop water intrusion. That, and the thousands of clutch drive screws and staples that were removed. The basic carpentry was simple, I replaced the rotten wood with pressure treated fir and, after a day with a grinder fitted with a steel wire wheel to clean the trim rail, the surfaces were all sealed, stapled, and screwed back together.

This picture shows the new top plates and the rafter reinforcement I thought was necessary:

While diving into the wheel well repair I noticed the floor had deteriorated under the water heater. Closer examination showed that the 1 1/2" space underneath the floor was uninsulated, excepting the 1/2" Buildrite on top of the aluminum belly skin. I pulled all of the plywood and installed 1 1/2" of extruded polystyrene in that space:

I've replaced two of the three windows I planned on and have removed two, all together. Those vacated jalousie windows are framed and will become insulated wall.

Tomorrow, I'll be replacing the 72" front window and will then move on to the wiring. The existing Precision Dynamics converter tested to be OK and has a solid state battery charger so I will use that for the DC. I am upgrading the older 30 amp service to 50 amp. If there's interest, I can post some more pictures up of the restoration, as I progress, and am always open to any ideas from others.
FWIW, I am going with a Western motif for the interior and have already renamed my baby, "The Cowboy/Hilton".

Edit: Pictures in this thread are unviewable because of Photobucket's recent change in Terms of Service. I plan to migrate to a different hosting site and to repair the images. Please, be patient, as there are many images in this thread.

Edit: Anyone wanting to view images can download this browser extension:Browser extension. It makes all the images in this thread viewable.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton
391 REPLIES 391

wade88
Explorer
Explorer
You don't need a browser extension, I just signed up to test for this thread and it works fine if you follow the directions in the OP, namely you go to your preferences page where you set your time zone and stuff and tick the box for displaying images that are part of posts (not recommended for dialup users) is how it's written up on the page. Also earlier in the thread someone seemingly couldn't figure out how to print to a pdf or otherwise that isn't a piece of paper.

This is easy, just press ctrl+p and change the printer on the left to something that isn't your printer like a PDF or a html file etc and be careful to not make it your default printer but only for the one printing otherwise you or someone else might get angry the next time they try to print to paper.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Dave Pete wrote:
For what it's worth, I came across a solution for this PhotoBucket thing.

This one comes to us from the Avion thread in Truck campers, but I also saw something similar in a completely different forum.

Browser Extensions

I just added the extension to my Chrome browser, cleared the cache and all the pics are back, as long as they haven't been taken off of PB.
Thanks, this worked for me so anyone wanting to view the pictures in this thread, can use that Browser Extension listed above to make the images visible.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC

westend
Explorer
Explorer
hilandfrog wrote:
Any new pics of you out playing... getting to registration, running lights and a new hitch this week... will finally finish diddums for a little fun... ๐Ÿ™‚
No, nothing new. Congrats on getting Diddums on the road, hope you have a lot of fun with it.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC

Dave_Pete
Explorer II
Explorer II
For what it's worth, I came across a solution for this PhotoBucket thing.

This one comes to us from the Avion thread in Truck campers, but I also saw something similar in a completely different forum.

Browser Extensions

I just added the extension to my Chrome browser, cleared the cache and all the pics are back, as long as they haven't been taken off of PB.

hilandfrog
Explorer
Explorer
Any new pics of you out playing... getting to registration, running lights and a new hitch this week... will finally finish diddums for a little fun... ๐Ÿ™‚
05 Tundra 4x4

1977' Road Ranger, Diddums is in action.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
But this is such a good thread, that's a way of making it accessible to people in future while only paying PB a minimum amount. I'd never subscribe permanent to them now, after such a sucker punch they pulled.

Agreed. I seem not to find the right mood or time to move the images to another site. Before I shelled out $400 to PB, I'd buy hosting and make my own site.

When I do the image transfer, I hope to list a table of contents in the first post. That may be just for my own use but there are now a lot of pages up in here.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC

Dave_Pete
Explorer II
Explorer II
It's a real shame westend. I saw some of your early post pictures in this thread, but never had the time to read it all in depth, so was saving for future.

One PhotoBucket resolution I've been thinking about for some of my threads is to pay them for a minimal (one month?) and get third party hosting back. Then, once pictures are view-able, print the entire thread. But don't use paper. This forum provides a pretty methodical method of printing the entire thread. But choose .pdf save to computer, instead of printing on paper.

Then you have the entire thread, with pictures (once view-able again) as a single computer file that can be posted elsewhere (like Google Docs) and linked from this thread.

But this is such a good thread, that's a way of making it accessible to people in future while only paying PB a minimum amount. I'd never subscribe permanent to them now, after such a sucker punch they pulled.

Dixie_Bushcraft
Explorer
Explorer
Okay, maybe not "useless".... but a lot less informative and enjoyable to read.

Your post is GREAT.
PB ruining the photos.... not so much.
"Life is a Highway.... And all I do is Drive, Drive, Drive."

Introduce youth to the Great Outdoors. Take a kid camping !!!

www.DixieBushcraft.com
Twitter me... @dixiebushcraft
Facebook... www.facebook.com/DixieBushcraft/

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
WTF is all that about. Is there no way to save it ? Ya, this site sucks when it comes to pictures.

Never trust computers.

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
GOSH!

Dixie_Bushcraft
Explorer
Explorer
I am sad.
Thanks to photobucket, and the lack of picture posting on this site, your entire thread is rendered useless
"Life is a Highway.... And all I do is Drive, Drive, Drive."

Introduce youth to the Great Outdoors. Take a kid camping !!!

www.DixieBushcraft.com
Twitter me... @dixiebushcraft
Facebook... www.facebook.com/DixieBushcraft/

raychris1
Explorer
Explorer
Westend, I decided to check out your TT restoration project after you posted in my Aerolite question topic. I wish I had your skills. This looks like a very good restoration. I do not think I could even begin to do what you have done. You want to come to the great northwest (desert side of Washington) and redo my Aerolite for me...HaHaHa.
Ray and Chris
2022 Open Roads 26BH
2013 F-150

westend
Explorer
Explorer
#1nobby wrote:
Wow.

I've been so wrapped up in my new to me trailer that I haven't really looked around at other threads.

Boy did I pick a doozy to read while at work tonight. ๐Ÿ™‚

Great stuff.
Yeah, the thread helped me keep motivated to finish.
Hoping others see that most modifications, even a whole gut and rebuild is possible.
When I get a couple more additions done, I'll post up some more pictures. I just changed the table leg for two folding legs last weekend. The single post kept breaking from moving the table and folks leaning on it. It was a wishful design that didn't work out.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC

_1nobby
Explorer
Explorer
Wow.

I've been so wrapped up in my new to me trailer that I haven't really looked around at other threads.

Boy did I pick a doozy to read while at work tonight. ๐Ÿ™‚

Great stuff.