Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: extended factory bumper to bumper warranty
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> extended factory bumper to bumper warranty

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
eye8Ubutler

Maritime Provinces

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/23/12 10:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

retired1 wrote:

Looking at new 2011 Ford Ecoboost xlt. Wondering if the extended bumper to bumper warranty is worth it. Seems pretty expensive for just a few years more. Any opinions?

ALL extended warranties are USELESS!

WHY.....?

In the small print - the difference between FAILURE and NORMAL WEAR is a 'minefield'.
The small print is designed to keep this issue confused!!!
So once the vehicle is past it's Factory Warranties, then when you try to use an Extended Warranty for a repair issue, the first priority for the Insurer is can it be put down to a 'normal wear' process, 99.9% will always be declared as so, which means you have NO claim, as they decide it was NOT a failure, so you are 'screwed'.

Remember....all claims are ONLY satisfied if the part FAILED!
Example....a Water Pump is going to need to be replaced one day, these are never FAILURES, but always just NORMAL WEAR as far as Extended Warranties are concerned...so claim DENIED!

Used vehicle prices are dictated by 'is there any factory warranty' still on it, the more there is left on it, the higher the sale price.
In many cases the vehicle will be younger as well, one should still pay the price and buy because..........if one looks at a vehicle older and cheaper with no factory warranty, when you add the cost of a useless extended warranty to it, you will have paid the same for it, as a younger/factory warranted equivalent would have been the better buy and also as it is younger, still has a little more trade-in value.

Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ 2007 (new shape)
4x4 Crew Cab VORTEC MAX (L76) 6.0L V8 4L70E 4.10 axle
factory NHT Max Trailering Package.
2010 Coachmen Freedom Express 280 RLS

"...a Waldorf Salad?, sorry we are fresh out of Waldorfs!".......BASIL FAWLTY.

eye8Ubutler

Maritime Provinces

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/23/12 10:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Having said all this...I have bought an Extended Warranty on a new RV in the past, simply because the issues of FAILURE and NORMAL WEAR or more clear.

So in closing, buy a used TV and have the sales dept include 60 days bumper to bumper for their workshop. This will only work well if you by a TV from the main dealer, i.e. GM from a GM, Dodge from a Dodge and Ford from a Ford main dealer etc etc.

TomG2

Central Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/12 12:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not to knock the ecoboost system, but one thing in favor of an extended warranty would be the fact that it is a fairly new system in pickup trucks. Turbo's are expensive.

Jayco-noslide

Galesburg,Il., USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/12 01:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well,there's no way to know for sure with this one item until you have it a long time and see how many repairs you need. But, for me the answer would be NO. That's a "no" to all ext. warranties regardless of the item because the life time cost will be less avoiding them. Almost guaranteed. If I can't afford the occasional repair, then I can't afford the item.

Jayco-noslide

lawnspecialties

Home

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/23/12 01:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I bought the extended warranty for my 450. It was $3150. It is with Ford and is the bumper to bumper warranty for 7 years or 200,000 miles.

The NAV system alone cost almost $2000 if it goes bad. There's so many electronic stuff on vehicles these days, I figured I'd go ahead and get covered.

I would only get the Ford warranty though. My dealer sells two types, Ford's and another company's that they LOVE to push. Obviously, it gets them more of a payback.

But since the Super Duties are so expensive, many of the other companies won't cover them.

My extended warranty was about 5% of the total price of the vehicle. I'm OK with that; especially on a first year engine (yes, I'm quite aware of the warranty denials mentioned here on RV.net).

2013 F350 SRW 4X4 6.2L
2014 Work & Play 30WRS

SCR

Full Timer - I'm really not sure where I am

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/12 01:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If it gives you peace of mind it's worth it.

IMHO peace of mind is priceless.

lawnspecialties

Home

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/23/12 03:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SCR wrote:

If it gives you peace of mind it's worth it.

IMHO peace of mind is priceless.

That pretty much sums it up.

lbrjet

Gold Canyon, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/23/12 06:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I also purchased a 7 year 100K premium Ford ESP plan for that same piece of mind. I am retiring in a year and will then be hauling my trailer around the country for most of the year for several years.

2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equalizer E4 1200/12000

Jayco-noslide

Galesburg,Il., USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/12 01:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For those of you buying the "peace of mind"; I understand your decision but just some further thoughts. First of all, "peace of mind " comes at a price. I'm not willing to pay it because I'm convinced that I will pay more over a lifetime if I buy warranties. Some may think they will actually get by cheaper with a warranty because they won't get surprised with a big repair bill but I think they will just be paying more for it over a long period of time with the warranty cost.Secondly, if I feel that I really have to buy the warranty, then I would be buying a product that I can't afford to repair if it breaks. Trading a vehicle before the factory warranty expires is also a way to get "peace of mind" but, again, very expensive.

Artemus Gordon

Redding California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/24/12 01:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Funny how this argument comes up again and again. My take is simple, I buy them and have never had any problems getting my work done. I can't work on my truck or cars or trailer. It's insurance for those unexpected events. Having faith in the product has nothing to do with buying extended Warrantees. I respect those who disagree but I read what's covered before I sign and alway try to buy the manufactures contract not a third party. I also tend to sell vehicles every couple of years and believe me the extended service agreements usually clinch the deal.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> extended factory bumper to bumper warranty
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Good Sam Club | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS