Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Camping near Charleston, SC
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Camping near Charleston, SC

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Fishy Old Man

North Carolina Foothills

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/17/12 11:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wish to camp in TT in the Charleston, SC area. Have stayed at the KOA in Mount Pleasant and James Island State Park.

Anyone know anything about Oak Planation Campground on the Savannah Hwy?

Any thoughts or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Fishy

RamTX

Houston Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/17/12 12:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Camped there this past summer when visiting Charleston. It was clean, well maintained and relatively handy to Charleston proper. It is located on a busy highway, so getting in and out could be a problem during rush hour especially with a trailer. Noise was not a problem for us as the campground extends quite a distance back from the road. There's an excellent seafood restaurant nearby that the campground was giving discount coupons for. Did not see any long term residents there that I remember. Swimming pool is small. Some of the sites are not very shaded. Hope that helps.

2005 Dodge 2500 CTD ShortBed Quad Cab
08 Jayco Eagle Superlite 31.5FBHS
Line X
Superglide Hitch
Prodigy Brake Controller

Drbolasky

Allentown, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/17/12 12:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We stayed there over Thanksgiving visiting my daughter. Nice place, well maintained and run by good folks. All sites are more or less level and the majority are pull-thrus. Many sites have little or no shade so if you're going to be there in the summer I'd book early and request a site with shade. You have to rent a firepit if you want a campfire. Bathroom/shower facilities very clean. It was full over the holiday but it was quiet.

My only carp is the gauntlet of speed bumps on the main road down the center of the CG. There's no less than 10 of them, about one every 50-75 yards.

Doug, Linda, Audrey (USN) & Andrew
2008 Sequoia SR-5, 5.7 L, 2000 Coachmen Futura 2790TB Bunkhouse, Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension, Reese W.D. Hitch/Dual Cam Sway Control, Prodigy Brake Controller, McKesh Mirrors

Allworth

Orlando, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/17/12 07:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Always had perfect AT&T coverage at James Island. The Camping area is great, too!

ON EDIT: By the way, James Island is a County Park. Contact Charlestoncountyparks.com for details.

Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
2008 Titanium 30E35SA; EZ-Lube axles; wet bolts; spring hanger gussetts; BFG Commercial TAs
"Real Trucks Don't Have Sparkplugs"

amxpress

Clayton, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/17/12 01:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some additional feedback here:
Charleston Campground reviews

2007 Dodge RAM 2500 Quad Cab w/6.7 Cummins
2013 Palomino Columbus 320RS
Reese 15K Pro Series manual slide
Prodigy
Firestone Air Bags
Champion 3500 genny
M.I.L denied parole! Yeah!

MegaJohn

NW Geogia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/17/12 02:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If I may jump in and ask a question of my own about the Charleston, SC parks... how is cell/3G coverage at some of them (James Island, Oak Plantation, etc)?

The reason I ask is my employer allows me to work remotely with phone & internet access. My DW is a teacher and has the whole summer to travel... and wants to visit Charleston. So, I'm thinking about working from the camper during the day and exploring a little in the evenings & weekends.

To make it work, I need to have reliable cell (AT&T) & 3G (Verizon) coverage.

Is there someone who could share some real-world (preferably recent) experience?

Happy Camping!
John.

Stock 2006 Dodge Ram 3500 MegaCab, 5.9L Cummins, Automatic, 2WD, Dually
- 30' 2006 Pilgrim Interntional travel trailer, dry weight ~7k pounds, GVWR ~9k pounds
- Husky weight distributing hitch, friction anti-sway control, electronic brake controller

Linda VA2

Madison, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/18/12 06:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We were there last month on our way to the Keys. We always stay there when we visit my nephew in Charleston. Verizon wireless was great too, and we accessed the internet through our iPhone. The people were great, the place is nice and it is convenient to the city. We hated the speed bumps though, so take it slow and easy.

Drbolasky

Allentown, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/17/12 07:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Verizon cell service at Oak Plantation was no problem. Their WiFi was not the best so access the Internet via your cell if you can.

Fishy Old Man

North Carolina Foothills

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/18/12 06:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the replies. I appreciate it.

Fishy

Itching2go

Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/12 08:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fishy Old Man wrote:

Wish to camp in TT in the Charleston, SC area. Have stayed at the KOA in Mount Pleasant and James Island State Park.

Anyone know anything about Oak Planation Campground on the Savannah Hwy?

Any thoughts or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Fishy

We spent a few days there in April, 2011. Was OK, but I'd likely look to James Island next time. Full hook-up sites which was what we had reserved were very close together; so much so that we ended up moving to a water & electric site even though we received no reimbursement for the difference in price. Was worth it, though.

Good place to stay if you're planning to spend your time seeing the area. Not much in the CG that would keep you there. Folks were friendly and accommodating and the pricing was fair. Those speed bumps, however, were a PIA. As another poster noted, there must have been ten or more down the main drive, and are the type that you'll need to 'walk' your unit over to avoid throwing stuff all through your coach.

Hope this helps, and enjoy Charleston. It really is a great city to walk.

2008 Jayco Designer 35RLSA pulled by a 2007 Chevy 3500 D/A SRW

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Camping near Charleston, SC
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Good Sam Club | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS