Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Full-time RVing: Newmar Tiffin or Winnegabo
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Full-time RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Full-time RVing

> Newmar Tiffin or Winnegabo

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Destinations Unknown

Lost

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/14/12 09:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For a single person full timing, is one manufacture better then the other. ie: room for extra batteries, solar panels, additional water

Phil & Stephie

Sevierville, TN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/14/12 09:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tiffin or Newmar, compare floorplans, features and cost. Go for it with either brand.

Phil & Stephanie Grey
"Partners In Life"
2003 Dutch Star 4050 "Mayberry"
2007 Chevy HHR
Spartan Chassis/Brakemaster/Blue Ox/Pressure Pro
Yorkies; Paisley Marie & Opie Taylor

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 03/14/12 01:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

my first cut would be to only buy one with a fiberglass roof.
bumpy

MeanderMan

Fulltiming Somewhere

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/14/12 03:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't think it's much a matter of being single as that of size and quality. After two years of research and visiting dealers, we narrowed our search down to Newmar, Tiffin, and Winnebago. Winnebago builds the most models in the smaller size if that's what you're looking for, but all have a variety of models. None are built from the factory for long-time boondocking, but all can be modified with extra batteries and solar power. Best of luck with your decision.

Happily Fulltiming Somewhere
2006 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
2013 Honda CRV
Our RV Blog

rr2254545

Minnesota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/14/12 11:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Many makers now have extra batteries and bigger inverters since that now have all electrical refrigerators. My MH has 6 coach batteries.

I do not see how you could go wrong with any of the three you picked.

2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited, Air Force One
175 Campgrounds in the past 5 years

Destinations Unknown

Lost

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/14/12 04:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the replies, the salesman is pushing me toward a 36 foot Newmar DP, which he says will give me the space for a washer and dryer etc. It also gives me the 7' inside height I would like.

I wanted to stay in the 30 foot area since I don't have any experience pulling a car, and the bigger you get the less state parks you can fit into...but I can't stand up in the showers in the smaller rigs.

If all the appliances are the same, (water heater, pumps, A/C, stoves etc) then I guess the MH manufacture doesn't matter. Does one manufacture offer better construction or insulation over the other?

Regarding the fiberglass roof, is that something that is not standard?

Does anyone have experience in adding more water storage?

Jason

thecampingman

Wilmington, OH, USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/15/12 04:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Destinations Unknown wrote:

If all the appliances are the same, (water heater, pumps, A/C, stoves etc) then I guess the MH manufacture doesn't matter. Does one manufacture offer better construction or insulation over the other?

Definitely! For instance, Sureflow makes like seven different water pumps. Buy a cheaper coach you'll get the cheaper pump. The aggrivatingly noisy herky-jerky pump that cycles on & off constantly. It's like that throughout the coach. Cheaper cabinet latches etc. and absolutely cheaper construction.

I think you're spot-on with your concern for your comfort. 7' ceiling height, washer/dryer etc.

But I do think you're off course a little worrying about bigger holding tanks and solar power.
Unless you have some specific reason to boondock you won't wind up doing it that much. Like you follow NASCAR races, or once I met some traveling ministers who dry-camped at their churches a lot. (I met them in a campground BTW).

I wouldn't worry a lot about your towing experience either. Half the people who pull into this campground can't park their own rigs. The manager does it for them. Just carry good insurance and do what you want, not just what you think you're capable of.

I'd say your salesman is leading you in a good direction.

With that being said, SW Florida is flooded with used caoches in pristine condition. Folks who spend north of $300,000 on a coach don't tend to trash them. And they don't really "wear out". These are built on bus chassis that are meant to travel millions of miles. The NADA website states thet if it's diesel powered don't even enter the mileage. It's just not relavant.

'03 GMC 4500 Topkick with Duramax/Allison
'04 36' McKenzie Medallion triple slide
Cabover kayak racks w/18' touring kayaks.
Bicycle carrier on the front with a street bike & a mountain bike
Snowbird W/Ohio camper dock

SMC

Box Elder, SD

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/15/12 07:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have you test driven them? We drove several brands and altho' we liked other floor plans better, none could compare to the Comfort Drive in the Newmar diesels.

SMC
Home is Where We Park It!
2012 Newmar Dutch Star 4346
2013 Chevy Traverse

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 03/15/12 03:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BigRigRVing wrote:

First not to step on toes but lets be honest Winnebago is not even in same group as Newmar or Tiffin.

do all Tiffins have a fiberglass roof? if not, I would put Winnebago ahead of them. Didn't know that Newmar had finally gone to all fiberglass roofs, I hope they discontinued that old 3 or 4 section roof however.
bumpy

BigRigRVing

formerly CA

View Profile

Posted: 03/14/12 04:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First not to step on toes but lets be honest Winnebago is not even in same group as Newmar or Tiffin.

AGM batteries can be put anywhere including underbed.

If you have a coach built for you, you can have bigger holding tanks.

Fiberglass roofs are not standard on all coaches. Newmar yes

Most Newmar coaches come pre wired for solar and not not the trickle charge solar panel, most a pre wired to the roof for after market solar.

Hope this helps a little

Gary & Cheryl and our chocolate lab named Caddy
2005 Newmar Mountain Aire 4304 w/ Blue-Ox Sports Lift
2006 Jeep Rubicon
HD 2006 Softtail Deluxe
www.BigRigRVing.com

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Full-time RVing

> Newmar Tiffin or Winnegabo
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Full-time RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Good Sam Club | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS