Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Dinghy Towing: Ford Escape Report
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing

> Ford Escape Report

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next
mlh

Walker, Louisiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/05/12 04:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I see a lot of negative reports on here and hardly anyone posts the positives, so I thought I would post a positive one in case it helps anyone out.

I have a 2012 Ford Escape 4 cylinder with automatic transmission. I had the dealer perform the transmission level check according to the TSB. I keep a copy of the TSB and the completed service work order in the glove compartment should I ever need it.

I took a trip to Stone Mountain, GA this past weekend from Louisiana. The trip one way was about 575 miles. I shifted from drive to neutral to reverse, etc. several times for the duration of the five minutes (not just once). I kept the speed under the 65 mph towing limit. I stopped about every 200 miles to run through the gears again. I also did this when stopped for prolonged periods (1 hour or so). The trip went off without a hitch. I have been driving it for several days since returning and no issues. Hopefully everything continues to go well on future trips. Time will tell. I feel a little better now that the first 1000 miles are under my belt. If anything changes, I will be sure to report.

2010 Sunseeker 3170DS
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Roadmaster Falcon 2 tow bar

garyindaupeh

Negaunee MI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/06/12 08:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the input. I would like to buy an Escape to use as a toad, but have been a bit gun shy based on the supposed problems that others have experienced.

2013 Toyota Tundra 5.7L
2013 Keystone Cougar 21RBS

janstey58

Glenwood, IA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/06/12 11:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the positive note, I also purchased a 2012 Escape (V6 Auto) and have just completed setup for towing 4 down and have had the dealer complete the TSB on the tranny fluid. I plan on a test tow this weekend for about 20-30 miles, then ready for the first trip in a few weeks. Fingers are crossed!

Jeff and Kim
2015 Fleetwood Discovery 40E
Freightliner Chassis 380HP DP
2012 Ford Escape Limited Toad

FC

Tavistock,Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/06/12 07:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would put a tag on the fill stick for the transmission fluid to tell anyone servicing the unit, not to add any oil without the owners permission. I think a friend of mine did that just to be sure.

2003 Georgetown 346DS Ford F-53
2008 Pontiac G6 Toad, Blue Ox Aventa LX
Vice President Operations Family Campers & RVers
www.fcrv.org

ScottMack

Oklahoma

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/06/12 07:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Greetings,

I ran a zip tie through the dipstick and secured it so dipstick cannot be removed without cutting the zip tie. I also have a "sign" posted under the hood -

"NOTICE: DO NOT ADD TRANSMISSION FLUID

The transmission fluid level has been lowered per
Ford Motor Company’s TSB 09-20-13
for recreational flat towing behind an RV"

We now run a Remco pump (see signature block). Good luck to you!!

2010 Winnebago Outlook 29B
2010 Ford Escape (1 blown tranny at 4876 towing miles)

janstey58

Glenwood, IA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/10/12 10:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Towed mine last night for short test drive of 20 miles. All is good!!

GPROAMIN03

Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 04/17/12 07:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We had two transmissions replaced while towing last year one in AZ Jan 2011 one in TX March 2011. We have kept a log of all stops & preformed all the necessary procedures as outlined. Ford assured us we would have no further problems yet here we are again April 17th. 2012 setting in a parking lot in Wilkes Barrie PA waiting Ford to decide what to do with another burnt out transmission I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND THIS VEHICLE AS A DINGHY. and for those who might question whether or not we have experience in towing we are on our way back to Nova Scotia from AZ after towing this car for over 8000 miles and keeping a log but to no avail.

* This post was edited 04/17/12 08:10am by GPROAMIN03 *

22%Over

Denver, CO

View Profile

Posted: 04/17/12 08:09am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

20 miles of towing will tell you nothing at all. My 2011 suffered the meltdown at 165 miles of towing. TSB had all been done by Ford dealer. It now has the "modified/updated" 2012 transmission in it. Haven't towed it again yet but going to when I pick a route that has either a Ford dealer or a U-Haul car hauler about the 150 mile mark.

DandSW

West Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/17/12 08:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mlh - Glad to hear some positive comments on towing an Escape. Have towed mine for a couple years with no problems. Was sure your post would bring out the naysayers and it has but I'm sure there are many of us with positive experiences....like you said, you only hear the bad.

Dave
2010 Newmar CS3647 / 2010 Ford Escape

GPROAMIN03

Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 04/17/12 08:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How can you call us naysayers when all we did was post the facts?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing

> Ford Escape Report
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS