Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Buying a Former Rental Class C. How many of us out there?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Buying a Former Rental Class C. How many of us out there?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 159  
Prev  |  Next
sachilles

Waitsfield VT

View Profile

Posted: 05/07/18 07:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

By way of helping others:

My question as I was getting ready to buy my magestic 23A was whether it had the factory tow harness. The Ford could be shipped with or without it. Knowing that info dictates what wiring you buy to install a towing brake controller. Sales at CA didn't really know.
If not present, you connect into the always present towing connector in the dash to find it doesn't have power. You then add connections to give it power etc, which is a bit of work.
I was pleasantly surprised to find that it does have the factory wiring activated. I was able to connect into the plug behind the coin tray in the dash and have power present.
It had a 4 pin trailer connector already installed. I was able to find a square grey 4 pin plug(with only 3 wires) on the driver side frame rail just behind the black/gray water drain valves. Using the wires from that plug I was able to convert the 4 pin trailer set up, to the 7 pin setup, with active tow controller. It saved me from fishing some wires which is always nice.

* This post was edited 05/07/18 11:46am by sachilles *

Canuck_Hauler

Edmonton

View Profile

Posted: 05/07/18 10:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I asked the guy about the tow wiring harness and the salesman told me that there is no +12 or brake wire installed. This tells me it's just a drop wire off the tail lights. I also have no standard 4 or 7 pin connector on the 28A, just the box with spring terminals for wiring up lights. I'll be fishing a pair of wires from the battery and I'll install the brake controller myself.

sachilles

Waitsfield VT

View Profile

Posted: 05/07/18 11:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Canuck_Hauler wrote:

I asked the guy about the tow wiring harness and the salesman told me that there is no +12 or brake wire installed. This tells me it's just a drop wire off the tail lights. I also have no standard 4 or 7 pin connector on the 28A, just the box with spring terminals for wiring up lights. I'll be fishing a pair of wires from the battery and I'll install the brake controller myself.

That is what I thought, and what I prepared for....was pleasantly surprised to find what I had.
The one head scratcher is that there was another piece of black conduit zip tied in place, inside I found 4 black 16 gauge wires that were cut. Not sure what they were there originally for. The bumper has capped hole for what looks like rear radar sensors....but no sensors. Wondering if it might be related.

Canuck plug in your controller first to confirm no power before you go crazy running wire to the back. My controller powered up, and you could hear the relay click on when brake is applied.

radiojeffrv

South Amboy

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/08/18 10:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Has anyone ever added an external shower to their 28A? I am thinking about it but would like some advise on cutting an opening for it.

BoxinTheCompass

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 05/28/18 09:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow here we are 94 pages later.... great thread and very informative through and through.

Not sure if I can post URL but rvtrader shows a Majestic updated and refurbished interior. I would jump on this one but its over 1000 miles away...

Refurbed Thor Majestic Former RV Rental

They took out the dinette and put in a counter... painted the cabinetry all white...

This is along what I would like to do with refurbishment. Not sure how hard it is to paint the cabinets.. I guess start with good base coat of Kilz primer and then go from there.

* This post was edited 05/28/18 11:03am by BoxinTheCompass *

sachilles

Waitsfield VT

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/18 08:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Finally got to use our 23a for the purpose it was intended.
I was able to take it to a race weekend with my son and wife.
48 hours of getting to know our RV. No hook ups.
Seemed to have plenty of water, and black/grey water capacity. Battery lasted well enough. Needed the heat and A/C.

Only problem(s) we encountered.
Microwave turntable doesn't seem to work. I'm fairly certain it worked on the lot.
This is the big one [emoticon], the toilet paper roll holder is too tight. Keeps it from spinning.

It was good to have a full weekend to see how we will use it, and now we feel a bit more comfortable buying what we need to outfit it a bit more to our taste.

We put the ikea bed slats, under the mattress that came with the unit. I found it more comfortable than my home mattress. Of course that isn't a high bar to reach.

Drove great, about an 1.5 hour drive each direction, on twisty, hilly roads. Had to pay more attention to my speed than I thought I would in an RV.

IAMICHABOD

Sunny So Cal

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/11/18 06:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That is awesome to hear,thanks for coming back and giving a account of how your first outing with your new rig went,it seems to have gone well and doing it without hookups that is a real test.

It is nice to hear that it drove great,sometimes RVs on a Ford Chassis will have handling problems.

Now it is time for you to do the Mods that will make it more user friendly and to your taste,I know that it was one of the most fun parts of owning my RV,other than all the adventures that I have had since I bought mine.

Good luck on your camping season and thanks for the update and keep them coming.[emoticon]

2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental

Buying A Rental Class C

IAMICHABOD

Sunny So Cal

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/18/18 01:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I thought that if some of you that follow this thread may have missed a post that I made on a Majestic 28A that a family member just bought that had a ladder on it,this may help if you decide you want put one on.
Here are the pictures that I have of the ladder on his 28A
[image]
[image]Click For Full-Size Image.
This is how it is mounted at the bottom[image]
Mounted 14 inches from the edge[image]

This one is like the one installed

I hope this helps,[emoticon]

I hope all you Former Rental Owners are having a great camping season,I know that mine has been outstanding.

* This post was edited 07/19/20 12:58pm by IAMICHABOD *

Majestic31

Pa.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/26/18 06:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I purchased a four winds Majestic 2011 28a last year, 120.000 miles on it I had to replace all of the tires, all new Bilstein shocks.rear camera,TV mount, 3 Vent covers, Roadmaster Reflex Steering Stabilizer Best addition so far, Sumo Springs bump stops Rear HEAVY DUTY, Front regular, Wheel alignment Looking to buy Sumo springs heavy duty rear fake air bag to try to stop the heavy bang in rear going over bumps, water empty rv unloaded still bangs going over bumps Sumo bump stops helped 50%,New passenger side mirror,Water filter system, Screen door bar, All new valve stems,

* This post was edited 07/26/18 07:29am by Majestic31 *

Tequila

Canada - Summer, Mexico - Winter

View Profile

Posted: 07/26/18 05:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BoxinTheCompass wrote:

Wow here we are 94 pages later.... great thread and very informative through and through.

Not sure if I can post URL but rvtrader shows a Majestic updated and refurbished interior. I would jump on this one but its over 1000 miles away...

Refurbed Thor Majestic Former RV Rental

They took out the dinette and put in a counter... painted the cabinetry all white...

This is along what I would like to do with refurbishment. Not sure how hard it is to paint the cabinets.. I guess start with good base coat of Kilz primer and then go from there.

Nice, except I dont think losing the dinnette is a good idea.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 159  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Buying a Former Rental Class C. How many of us out there?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.