Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Buying a Former Rental Class C. How many of us out there?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Buying a Former Rental Class C. How many of us out there?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 162  
Prev  |  Next
eldel

Northern Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/04/20 11:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Couple of follow-up comments on my 28A. The CA installed awning was put on the wrong way around - which means if you can extend it against the ratchet you'll never get it to retract. The sales guy didn't demonstrate this as he "wasn't up to speed on them". If collecting from Denver and getting CA to install the awning I strongly recommend checking that the 'control' is at the front end of the awning.

Another small point - I was told that the backup warning is "disabled during refurbishment" - and yet I see in here that previous buyers have a working one. Anyone know how to re-enable this?

And ... a couple of questions. Has anyone installed a swivel seat base in the passenger side - with or without replacement seats? Is the installed charge controller for the tiny solar panel capable of dealing with a larger (100-200W) panel installed on the roof? I seriously doubt it but it's worth asking.

eldel

Northern Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/04/20 02:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

More information - I got the fluid analysis reports today. The lubrication reports (engine, transmission and generator) are OK but the coolant one is way out of line. So either it hasn't been changed in forever or I have an upcoming engine issue. I've asked CA to check their records to see if they have any information on when it was changed last. Let's see what they come back with.

eldel

Northern Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/04/20 04:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

And the answer was (pretty much as expected) "we don't have any information it should cost less than $100 for you to get it done". Note that they don't regard it as part of their "refurbishment" or normal operations.

IAMICHABOD

Sunny So Cal

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/05/20 10:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

eldel wrote:

Couple of follow-up comments on my 28A.
Has anyone installed a swivel seat base in the passenger side - with or without replacement seats?

I have installed one on my Class C with the stock seat. It is on a Chevy chassis,but on This thread there are a few that did it on a Ford Chassis.
There are 3 MFGs that make the seat base.

Discount Van and Truck

Then there is Sportsmobile

And the one that I got mine from Shop4Seats

I think it depends on the year model which one will fit.

You might look at This Video to help you along.

I really like mine, good luck in this.

2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental

Buying A Rental Class C

eldel

Northern Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/05/20 11:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for that. I think the video especially confirms my fears. The 28A has the jackknife sofa right behind the passenger seat and you can see it's very difficult, even without that in the way, to turn the seat while sitting in it.

The purpose for me doing this is to help my partially disabled wife get in and out of the seat. I think a somewhat more ambitious project is going to be needed - like remove the sofa, create new seat mounts further back. Gonna be interesting.

Germax

Toronto

View Profile

Posted: 08/05/20 01:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello all!

Thanks for this great resource! It makes me feel confident about my purchase reading all your experiences.

We just got 2008 Majestic 23A EX rental from person that had it for 6 years.

Getting ready for 8000KM round trip and trying to get everything in place as a complete newbie to RV thing.

I have some questions, I did try to go through this thread but it is overwhelming so please forgive me in the questions have been answered already.

I will shoot my questions, please answer what you can. I will do multiple posts to make it easier with photos etc...

1. At some time this unit probably had a generator installed.
I see electrical connectors and what looks like capped fuel line.
Fuel line is held on by one zip tie so that does not look great.
I would like to make use of that space for storage but I am not sure where I can
bolt things. I saw video of Tito using same space but he reused generator mounts that I do not have. Next to this place is battery tray and that is just bolted to the floor, can I do the same? I bought Champion inverter generator 3400, so I am not going to use it for generator but batteries would be nice.

Thanks!!!

[image]
[image]
[image]

* This post was edited 08/07/20 03:33pm by an administrator/moderator *

Germax

Toronto

View Profile

Posted: 08/05/20 01:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Changing the tire on 2008 Majestic 23A?

Another question from the new inmate [emoticon]
Out tires have 10000km and look brand new but they are 6 years old.
I know wisdom is to change them but they look fresh.

Now in case there is an issue, I have a spare and roadside assistance.
As I like to be prepared I would like to be able to fix tire on my own.
I got compressor, plug kit, slime but I do not have tire wrench and jack.
Looking at rear axle and top of the bottle jack that I plan to buy I can not see that working out. I see that Safejack has U shaped lift pads that make a lot of sense but I can not get one on a short notice in Canada.

What is a good setup for lifting 23A ? What size of jack? Does it need to be short or long? Any special tools to torque wheels required? If anyone has this figured our please let me know what you use.

Thanks!

Ermin

Germax

Toronto

View Profile

Posted: 08/05/20 01:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hitch on 2008 Majestic 23A?

I was very happy to see the hitch until I took a closer look.
This will not carry my motorcycle, Max Tongue Weight 200 lbs.

Did anyone upgrade the hitch and what would you recommend?

Thanks!

Ermin

[image]

* This post was edited 08/07/20 03:34pm by an administrator/moderator *

fadumpt

SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/05/20 03:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Germax wrote:

Hitch on 2008 Majestic 23A?

I was very happy to see the hitch until I took a closer look.
This will not carry my motorcycle, Max Tongue Weight 200 lbs.

Did anyone upgrade the hitch and what would you recommend?

Thanks!

Ermin

On my 2015, that sticker is over the real sticker. My hitch (per model number and what I can see from under the cruise america sticker) is rated at 6000lbs and 600lb tongue, and 10000lbs and 1000lbs tongue with weight distribution. That should also be the limits of the e450 28a with V10. The capability of yours is probably a little different but should be easy to find.

With your tires, look really hard for cracking. The tread might be really good but if you push on the sidewall or tread, you may notice cracking on the rubber. If it looks really bad, consider replacing the tire. If the cracks seem more minor and superficial, you should probably be okay.
A bottle jack rated for more weight then the rig's max weight rating will be fine. Harbor freight has a nice 1/2 inch drive breaker bar and you can pick up an impact socket in the right size or they also have a lug nut socket kit that might work. I haven't tried mine yet.

* This post was edited 08/05/20 03:23pm by fadumpt *

2015 Thor Majestic 28A
Ex Cruise America Rental

eldel

Northern Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/05/20 05:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think the 23A is on the e350 chassis isn't it? That being said - if that's the original towbar I would expect it to be higher rated than 2500 lbs.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 162  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Buying a Former Rental Class C. How many of us out there?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.