Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: AAA vs. Good Sam roadside assistance
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> AAA vs. Good Sam roadside assistance

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
rfuerst911sc

Marietta Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/16/12 06:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My wife and I have been AAA members for a while now and haven't had to use them very often. On a recent visit to Camping World I noticed the discounts they give on products and services for Good Sam club members. One of the counter sales guys gave me a brief overview of the service and gave me a brochure. So I'm curious what others think about these two roadside service companies ? I have several vehicles; GMC dually for the TC, a Toyota RAV4 which is the wife's and two Porsches which are my toys. Would Good Sam cover all these vehicles ? Is the Good Sam better, same or worse than AAA ? Any advice is appreciated.

past-MIdirector

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 05/16/12 06:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I dropped AAA about 10 years ago because it's hit and miss when traveling. We have up graded to the Good Sam ERS Platinum service plan since it covers all vehicle we drive and the the other benefits with this service. Go to the Good Sam web site and read over the three plans and go with the one that fits your needs.

urbex

Glendale, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 05/16/12 06:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Interesting...I've had zero problems with AAA over the past decade, and have probably used them at least a couple dozen times over the years. But then I've never used them for anything bigger than a 1 ton pickup, so I don't know what the service level would be if I had a problem with camper loaded up or with a bigger Class A or C.

2005 Dodge Ram 1500 tow rig, searching for next camper

urbex

Glendale, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 05/16/12 07:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just checked out the good Sam website, and they do have plans that cover both normal cars as well as the RV just like my AAA Plus RV plan, but one big difference that I noticed twas that while Good Sam has unlimited towing mileage compared to AAA's 100 miles free, Good Sam stipulates that its to the "nearest network service facility" whereas AAA will take it anywhere you want.

As someone who performs all my own repairs, I really like this feature around home, especially for my rock crawler. I cringe at the thought of what some general repair shop would charge me to deal with all the custom work in my rig if I had a major failure.

Even with the RV, is Good Sam only going to take me to some shop they contract with that will charge me significantly more than another shop 10 more miles out?

SooperDaddy

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 05/16/12 07:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We just dumped AAA and Progressive and went back to Good Sam's after several years. We compared everything and Good Sams simply had the best overall coverage and roadside service..and they treated us very well in the past when we needed them!

As a side note...we're have also visited Camping World more in the past 2 months since we re-joined than we have in the past 2 years combined.

My posts shouldn't be taken for factual data, and are purely fictional, for entertainment purposes, should not be constituted as related to scientific, technical, engineering, legal, religious, spiritual, or practical advice. After all it's FREE! Amen.

Francesca Knowles

Port Hadlock, Washington

View Profile

Posted: 05/16/12 08:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

AAA rocks!

Good Sam is nice, too, from what I hear...but I like to stick with what I know.

" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

billtex

RI

View Profile

Posted: 05/17/12 06:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The problem with AAA is they are "regional" clubs...NOT all "Clubs" offer RV coverage.
Here in New England there is no AAA RV coverage.
You may want to call your AAA Club and ask this question specificaly...some of the operators may not be so aware of this.

So depending on where you travel...you may be out of luck.

If you travel x-country...you may be out of luck.

We switched to GS a while back...and have had to call them 2-3 times for car towing...and the response was fine.

It is interesting that when you call GS they immdeiately start to ask what you are driving/towing etc. Presumably to determine what size truck to send.
I don't recall AAA ever asking those kinds of questions.
I our experience, GS is much more focused on RV's.

BTW; all of our vehicles are covered under GS.

Bill

2006 Chevy D/A CC
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

Francesca Knowles

Port Hadlock, Washington

View Profile

Posted: 05/17/12 10:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just checked...my "AAA plus RV" coverage is nationwide, guaranteed.

billtex

RI

View Profile

Posted: 05/17/12 11:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Francesca Knowles wrote:

Just checked...my "AAA plus RV" coverage is nationwide, guaranteed.

I really don't belive that is true for road side assistance.
AAA are regional "clubs".
No AAA "club" is national...to the best of my knowledge.

While your regional club may cover you, if the region you are traveling in does not offer RV coverage...well...I don't think you club will send a wrecker from NY to CA to come get you...

Ex; you are from WA..if you are traveling anywhere in New England and have a problem, you call AAA in New England...they will not touch your RV, regardless of what coverage your "home" club offers.
They may take your truck, but they will leave your camper on the side of the road....

Here is a blurb from the AAA site in our area that demonstrates how the "clubs" operate;
*Our Territory: AAA Southern New England proudly serves members in Rhode Island and the following counties in Connecticut: New Haven,
Fairfield and Litchfield, and in Massachusetts: Bristol, Middlesex, Worcester, Berkshire, Plymouth, Suffolk, Barnstable, and Norfolk.
Copyright 2010. AAA Southern New England

AAA does offer insurance for loss/damage nationaly...but not road side assistance.

Again, you may have to push/ask the right question to get to the bottom of the RV coverage issue...many of the operators just don't know/understand.
I am not trying to dissuade you...just want you to understand what coverage you may or may not have.
If you don't plan on leaving your region, and they offer RV coverage for road side assistance...then it really doesn't matter.

Use the search key...you will find pages of discussion related to this.

Good luck, B

Francesca Knowles

Port Hadlock, Washington

View Profile

Posted: 05/17/12 11:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm not a member of any "Club".... I buy "plus RV" roadside assistance coverage from AAA, and it's nationwide coverage.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> AAA vs. Good Sam roadside assistance
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Good Sam Club | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS