cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Chevrolet Based Class C *UPDATED AGAIN*

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
I do not want to start a war or a bunch of flaming, but I have to ask. What are the problems with a Chevrolet Based Class C? Other than they are hard to find. They are easier to find now

I have read a lot the posts about the Ford based Class C over the last year. They seem to be the majority of the ones out there.

It seems that the Fords have problems with the front suspension and are plagued with handling problems that are costly to fix and have to be worked on a lot. I have not seen any posts about these problems on a Chevy Based Class C.

The noise and heat that is generated by the Fords seems to be a factor especially on the passenger side. I drove several of the same type that I bought, all on Ford chassis, and I really noticed the noise and heat and handling differences of the two.

The power and pulling and GVWR seem to be very close from what I have read by authors that have had both, also the fuel mileage seems to be close.

One thing that the Chevy has over the Fords is the Leg room up front. If youโ€™re tall like me at 6โ€™6โ€™โ€™ 225 then you need that room.

As an added bonus you can install a
Swivel Seat that cannot be added on most Fords, Giving you even more room in the RV.

So give it to me guys. Where are the problems? What do I have to look out for?

So far no problems at all, drives straight with no expensive add-ons to the suspension, rides really smooth for what it is, it is quiet and cool up front with plenty of leg room. Plenty of power when needed and gets looks from other Class C owners.

As a disclaimer, I bought a 2006 Chevy based Tioga Class C 26Q, I test drove about a dozen or more of the same or similar types all on Ford Chassis and just one test drive in a Chevy based one and I was sold.

UPDATE is on page 16 :B

*NEWEST UPDATE* Is on page 20
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C
221 REPLIES 221

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
It Looks like another major RV MFG has now given the option to have a RV built on a Chevy Chassis,Gulf Stream will be added to the list.
Buying A Rental Class C

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
camperdave wrote:
But my question remains, is the chevy chassis really 400 pounds lighter than the Ford?

I would think so,when I was looking for my RV,as I said in the start of this thread,I looked at a dozen or more of the same RV,all on Ford Chassis the house part was identical as far as I could see.

I did notice that the one I bought on a Chevy Chassis was a bit more than 300 lbs lighter than the Fords.

This may be several reasons,one being the lighter engine and transmission combination,I know on the Hot Rod Forums it is talked about,going with the Chevy combo instead of the Ford for that reason.

Also I have read that the frame is of a smaller size and configuration with more tensile strength, Ford being a box and Chevy being a U type.
This may also be a bit lighter.That and the extra rear leaf spring that the Ford has that the Chevy does not.

All these things together may very well add up to the difference in weight.

Mine is a smaller one than the one you are looking at but fully loaded
with all gear, fuel and food for a 3 week trip I am still well within my GVWR and front and rear GAWR with my CCC of 2441.
Buying A Rental Class C

camperdave
Explorer
Explorer
I'm searching for a 30' class C, and saw a 2007 Sunseeker 29 footer online. A quick web search pulled up the mfr brochure, and I'm curious about the weight. According to the brochure, the 2007 Sunseeker 2900 on the Ford chassis weighs 11250, and on the Chevy chassis weighs 10841. Do you know if this 400 pounds is in the chassis, or in the house portion?

I've only seen one Chevy C in person, it was a Fleetwood 29v. To my eye, the coach portion of that motorhome was identical to the Ford version I've also seen. I'm leery of the Chevy because of the lower GVWR, but the extra footroom is appealing to me (and mostly my wife). If the brochure is real numbers, it means there is 1459 pounds between dry weight and GVWR. With our family and water+gas (~1270 pounds) that only leaves 190 pounds for all of our stuff. That's not much. As I think it through, I don't see this one working for us. I think to go Chevy I need to restrict it to a newer model with the 14k chassis.

But my question remains, is the chevy chassis really 400 pounds lighter than the Ford?
2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
It is nice to see at the last gathering of RV MFG that they are offering more of their products on a Chevy Chassis than they previously offered in the last few years.

Like these.

Thor Four Winds or Chateau

Coachman Concord or Leprechaun or Freelander just click on floor plans to see them

Forest River Sunseeker or Forester just click on floor plans to see them.

Jayco

Roadtrek

Leisure

Just to name a few.
Buying A Rental Class C

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
cindyb7 wrote:
Hey all, I'm new to this forum so I may be posting this question in the wrong place. If so, I apologize but hey, you all probably know the answer. We know we have to be level for the fridge to work properly but does it matter if we park on a hill when we're home, not using it? We've had the RV for 10 years, just didn't have to worry about it before.

I have always understood that if the fridge is off it need not be level.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

cindyb7
Explorer
Explorer
Hey all, I'm new to this forum so I may be posting this question in the wrong place. If so, I apologize but hey, you all probably know the answer. We know we have to be level for the fridge to work properly but does it matter if we park on a hill when we're home, not using it? We've had the RV for 10 years, just didn't have to worry about it before.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
CatchinBluegill,good to hear from you again.How is that Former Rental treating you?

Yes there is a great possibility that a diesel may be in the works for the Chevy Express Cutaway. I had a promotional youtube link of a Company spokesman promoting the Chevy Express Cutaway and all of it's feature one was the option of a diesel engine. But I cannot seem to find it. Hey I saw it on the internet so it must be true :B

If you get a chance come on back to the Rental Thread and share your thoughts and experiences since you bought that Former Rental.

Oh BTW you are #58 on the list of owners which now has 100 members.
Buying A Rental Class C

CatchinBluegill
Explorer
Explorer
Very interesting that Navistar will be doing the Chevy cutaways. While the article says that they will be built using all-GM parts, this raises the intriguing possibility of someday seeing them with a Navistar diesel, maybe the one Tiffin uses in the Allegro Breeze?

I ultimately went with a class A gasser and the only way for me from here is a diesel pusher (maybe next year?) but back when class C was still something I was considering, I liked the Chevy platform a lot better than the Ford platform.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
sandblast wrote:
IAMCHABOD
I notice your mechanic shop is close to Chris and Pitts
Yum, think about me while you are in that nice waiting room.
I will partake on my next SoCal vist.

Yep just across the street.If you want old school this is the place,not like any chain BBQ place,I grew up around here and I have been going to Chris and Pitts since I was a kid.

When I go to P/U my Vehicle Ill have LUNCH first,it always puts me in a better mood when I see the bill :B
Buying A Rental Class C

sandblast
Explorer
Explorer
IAMICHABOD wrote:
CatchinBluegill wrote:

Thanks!

I live north of you,near My Mechanic. Ray is in Bellflower,but yes he does work on Class A Motorhomes,has a lift for them too.

IAMCHABOD
I notice your mechanic shop is close to Chris and Pitts
Yum, think about me while you are in that nice waiting room.
I will partake on my next SoCal vist.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
It looks like Navistar will be into this market with Chevrolet. My RV was built on a Workhorse Chassis when they outsourced the Cutaway and it has some upgrades in the suspension and other things that were not on the non Workhorse ones of the same vintage,I hope that Navistar will follow suit.

They announced that they will be building the Cut Away for the RV and other markets so we may soon see more RV MFGs using the Chevy Chassis. Being that Ford will be ending the E350 and E450 in 2020 from latest reports.
Buying A Rental Class C

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
I agree sometimes getting good service and quality is worth the mileage but the traffic really puts a damper on it.

The drive between here and there,that I did quite a bit of,has been a real chore of late. But I will still visit the parks down there,some of my favorites.
Buying A Rental Class C

CatchinBluegill
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, Ichabod. A bit far to go for me, but that may be handy for members in the OC/LA area. It's actually the traffic that's daunting, not the distance). Traffic in and out of San Diego is usually terrible at all hours of the day, all days of the week, unless driving in the middle of the night.

Well, it's not so bad going east on 8, but going out through LA is always awful, and going out via 15 usually is, too. A couple months ago, I drove to/from San Jose on business, and came back on Friday night. Passing through LA after 1:00 AM, I thought it would be a piece of cake. Joke on me, 101 was squeezed down to one lane and the 405 connector was closed, forcing me through downtown LA. Later, on 5, the entire freeway was closed and I had to exit on Slauson and drive a few miles on surface streets. Got home way later than I figured ๐Ÿ˜›

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
CatchinBluegill wrote:

Who's your mechanic? It sticks in my mind for some reason that you're in or near San Diego, as am I (near Mission Valley). Does he also work on class A motorhomes?

Thanks!

I live north of you,near My Mechanic. Ray is in Bellflower,but yes he does work on Class A Motorhomes,has a lift for them too.
Buying A Rental Class C