Open Roads Forum

Print  |  Close

Topic: Rules about "tent only" sites

Posted By: maria_bettina on 08/18/12 04:55pm

At a federal USFS campground, can an RV park in a "tent only" site, assuming they fit? There's a site I want, that is right next to an RV site(so it is not a 'tent only' site because it is in a specific area where all sites are tent), and i know my tt will fit.

Posted By: Joy on 08/18/12 05:04pm

I thik you would have to ask permission of the host, ranger, whoever is in charge. It nay be a tent only because of its size but it may not have hookups, either.

See ya' down the road!

Don-SCPO USN Ret.Corpsman
Joy-Ret.Off.Mgr.
Maggie-Chihuahua
Chrissie-Chihuahua
Lucy-Jack/Rat
'06 42' Allegro Bus DP
'06 Saturn Vue

LIFE ISN'T ABOUT HOW TO SURVIVE THE STORM BUT HOW TO DANCE IN THE RAIN.

Posted By: keatonb16 on 08/18/12 05:06pm

best to call the park IMO. I am sure depending on who is in charge at the time you go it could be a coin toss whether you could.

2007 flagstaff 208
2010 Rav4 V6

Posted By: bigdogger on 08/18/12 05:29pm

If it says tents only, it is probably because they only want tents there. Big RVs tend to make ruts, which makes the tent site very uncomfortable for the next tenters. Plus many tent sites are designed to be walked into, they don't want vehicles driving off the roads and parking areas.

Posted By: DutchmenSport on 08/18/12 05:34pm

Reason I can see is, RV sites usually have a pad, concrete, gravel, or asphalt. Tent sites are usually grass only with a small spot for parking a vehicle (even if that exists). So if you park an RV there, the RV would be parked on grass. I know, a tent probably will do more damage to the grass than any RV could, but ... motorhomes and CLASS-C also have engines, which are hot, and drip oil, and grease, and gas, and any other number of things that would make the ground icky for the next "tent" to set up there. So, rather than making exceptions for ... say trailers that don't have engines .... now being unfair to MH's that do ... they make the spot a tent only, no exceptions. I understand why any campground would reserve specific sites for tents, just like some sites are reserved for full time hook-up RV's.

DutchmenSport

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 Dually Duramax 6.6 HD diesel
2013 Keystone Outback 298RE Travel Trailer
Equal-i-zer WD hitch system

Posted By: skipnchar on 08/18/12 06:23pm

IF it's serviced by a kiosk, pay your money and back her in Nobody is going to stop you. Now if it's SIGNED as "tents only" (campground OR the site) then obviously you have to have a tent to camp there.

2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

Posted By: The Texan on 08/18/12 07:55pm

The USFS campgrounds we hosted at, were very specific....tent site was a tent site and the fine for an RV parking in one was about 30X the price of the nightly fee.

Bob & Betsy(FishNFanatic) - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"
'05 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, 400 Cummins-Pulling our '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/ the Rzr or ACE or a Quad riding in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

Posted By: Old-Biscuit on 08/18/12 08:21pm

I take things literally.......
If it says 'Don't park here'
If it says 'No entry'
If it says '14 day max'
If it says........

I figure that it is stated/posted for a reason......I might not agree with the reason but if it says.......then don't.

2007 RAM 3500 QC LB SRW 5.9L CTD 48re 4:10 4K in bed 'quiet genny'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
Hit the Road Debt Free & Clear April '07
Came off the road still Debt Free & Clear Jan. '14

Posted By: Golden_HVAC on 08/18/12 09:48pm

A very short Class B or Class C motorhome might fit into the site, but it is not set up to park a trailer and the tow vehicle - it is probably a 16 - 18' long parking spot to park a car in it, and then hike to a tent site, even if only 8 - 30 feet away.

Sometimes tent sites are called that because there is not space for a longer vehicle, due to a tree or bolder being near the roadway, and not enough space to locate a larger vehicle, and especially not enough space for a trailer and tow vehicle.

Fred.

Posted By: Earl E on 08/18/12 10:22pm

When I used to tent, I hated RV's squeezing in next to me--noise, generators, a/c's, whatever. I think Tent Only means Tent Only. Allow tenters their unique needs and space. Take a RV space and live with it.

2007 Northwoods Arctic Fox 32 5S Fifth Wheel used for fulltiming for several years--SOLD
2011 Keystone 23rks Hideout to poke around the smaller parks in the great Southwest
2007 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Diesel
Prodigy brake control

Posted By: FunnyCamper on 08/19/12 05:25am

best to call. it is a coin toss. you might get a yes, it is ok or a no, tents only on those sites. a phone call here is your best friend

Posted By: Oakman on 08/19/12 05:50am

If you were tent camping in an area for tents only, would you want an RV parking in the site next to you? If it says tents only, then leave for the folks who tent camp.

2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab, 4X4, Shortbed, 6.4 Diesel
Reese 16K Kwik Slide
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
Honda 2000i generator
TomTom 540S XL GPS

Posted By: ecoast on 08/19/12 06:55am

I always take tent site; but I have a short WB pickup with a truck camper...

07 5.9 CTD & 2000 Northstar Laredo TC towing 87 Samurai ORV on dual axle trailer

Posted By: bukhrn on 08/19/12 07:53am

Earl E wrote:

When I used to tent, I hated RV's squeezing in next to me--noise, generators, a/c's, whatever. I think Tent Only means Tent Only. Allow tenters their unique needs and space. Take a RV space and live with it.
Where we go, thats exacly why the tent sites are set aside from the RV sites, because the tenters like being away from us with all our goodies, TV's, Radios/Stereos, generators, A/C's or what ever, Tent sites aren't set up by size, they're for TENTS, not what will fit in them.
I can guarantee that if a 40' RV pulled in to a CG & the only site it would fit into had a tent set up in the middle of it, there be a fuss you could hear at the USFS headquarters.

2007 Forester 2941DS
2005 KIA Spectra
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund
You can have my RV, when you pry my cold dead fingers from the Steering Wheel

Posted By: Bears Den on 08/20/12 06:48am

Tent sites should be left for tents and RV sites for RVs and never the two shall meet. However, I have seen tents on RV sites many times just because they fit doesn"t make it right.

2014 Kodiak 279 rbsl
2012 Ford F150 with ecoboost
Equalizer hitch
Ford integrated brake controller

No substitute for experience

Posted By: RoyB on 08/19/12 08:42am

I have seen tents being setup in RV site pads. No RV around anywhere.. They like to use the 120VAC hookup too sometimes I guess...

At our home camp ground at Westmoreland State Park in VA they have tent sites mixed in with the hook-up RV sites we usually stay at (B-sites). I am usually parked in the last elelctric/water site where there are tents sites behind us... Usually someone will walk with a long extension cord in their hands asking if they could hookup to the pedstal 20AMP circuit. I always tell them sure... I also tell they I have priority over it if I need it. One time I walked back to where the tents were and found probably four or five tents running off my 20AMP pedstal haha...

You could go unplug it from your pedstal and you could hear three or "HEY" being shouted out haha...

Doesn't bother me as I was a tent camper big time and really still am - go tent camping a couple of time a years sometimes with my Jeep and util trailer.

My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - PM me
Roy and Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS HOME SETUP ONLY
POPUP PHOTOs-Pg52

Posted By: VE3ESN on 08/19/12 10:19am

They let us use a "tent site" at James Island County Park in Charleston, SC, several years ago. Funny thing though for a "tent site", as it had water, electricity, AND sewer, BUT it was a bit cheaper. Our Roadtrek is only 19' long.

Jerry & Susie
1996 Roadtrek 190 Versatile (Dodge 5.2 L)
FMCA F390585
Trees are being destroyed through the transportation of invasive insects and diseases in firewood. For more information, please visit www.dontmovefirewood.org

Posted By: mockybird on 08/19/12 05:22pm

AND...what if all of the tent campers set up in the RV sites ?
Fair is fair

Gary

Posted By: Crowe on 08/19/12 07:11pm

If it says 'No entry'
If it says '14 day max'
If it says........

I figure that it is stated/posted for a reason......I might not agree with the reason but if it says.......then don't.

X2. Are you special and don't have to follow the rules? Nothing frustrates me more than to see a tent on an RV site in a crowded cg, knowing that someone else was denied the site and vice versa, not to mention the damage on a tent site that an RV can do. It's an easy concept-rules are there for a reason. If you don't like them, go elsewhere. I don't mean to be terse (or maybe I do) but I just don't understand why some feel they should be treated differently than everyone else.

Subscribe to the 3 "L" rule-don't stop livin', lovin' and learnin'

RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road.

Posted By: milo on 08/19/12 07:25pm

"Tent Only" is just like a stop sign, merely a suggestion or is it

Janet & Milo ...37 & 5/6 yrs 2gether
Mona Mo 8 yr old Yorkie & (in spirit) our Beagle
2013 F-150 Kodiak Brown XLT 4X4 HD Ecoboost
2014 Cougar 26SAB

Living under the best Government money can buy ... Bob Brinker

Posted By: univmd on 08/19/12 08:57pm

Many tenters do not even like the sound of doors opening and closing. They want to be next to other tents and trees only.

2008 Gulfstream Tourmaster
2011 Honda CRV
Blue Ox Baseplate & Socket Wiring
Blue Ox Alladin Tow Bar
US Gear Unified Tow Brake

Posted By: wbwood on 08/19/12 10:40pm

Old-Biscuit wrote:

If it says 'No entry'
If it says '14 day max'
If it says........

don't forget to add that when the bridge says a certain height limit also....lol

Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L
ACME Tow Dolly
2007 Toyota Yaris (Toad)

Posted By: Jim Shoe on 08/20/12 05:16am

I suppose that they might have put the sign up because they didn't have anything else to do that day - but I doubt it. What do you do when you come across a "No Parking" or "Wet Paint" sign?

Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

Posted By: shakyjay on 08/20/12 10:28am

I would think labeling a site as tent only means just that. Unless I planned on pitching a tent I would not even consider asking for the site.

To me using the logic that it is not being used anyway so what is the difference just doesn't work. I would equate it to a handicap parking space for instance. It is for handicap parking, nothing else. Does not matter that it may not have anyone ever parking there, it is reserved for that purpose. Well the tent site is reserved for that purpose as well otherwise it would not be labeled that way.

2007 Rockwood 8315SS
2004 GMC 2500HD Crew Cab Duramax Diesel
1999 Dodge 1500 5.9L Gas

Posted By: maria_bettina on 08/20/12 10:57am

Raymon wrote:

"(so it is not a 'tent only' site because it is in a specific area where all sites are tent)" I am not exactly sure of the meaning of this statement. Can you provide a clearer explanation?

Ray

Thanks for asking. When I stated "so it is not a 'tent only' site because it is in a specific area where all sites are tent" I meant that the tent site to which I am referring is not in an area of only tent sites. It's right next to an RV site.

The pad of the tent site is paved. The tent site, as far as I can tell, is exactly like the RV site next to it except that the tent site is closer to the water (not much closer, but the drop off to the water is less so putting in a kayak would be easier, hence me wanting the tent site), and the tent site's parking pad is likely shorter than the RV site's parking pad.

We have a 16' trailer, so I'm pretty sure we would fit. People were parking side by side on the paved pad. And at the time I looked at the campground, a truck with a camper was parked in the 'tent site,' with a ATV and a Jeep wedged in next to the truck on the paved pad. I don't see how a camper truck is much different than a tt of similar size.

There are no hookups at this campground.

shakyjay wrote:

I would think labeling a site as tent only means just that. Unless I planned on pitching a tent I would not even consider asking for the site.

To me using the logic that it is not being used anyway so what is the difference just doesn't work. I would equate it to a handicap parking space for instance. It is for handicap parking, nothing else. Does not matter that it may not have anyone ever parking there, it is reserved for that purpose. Well the tent site is reserved for that purpose as well otherwise it would not be labeled that way.
I buy that logic. If the reason to label a site as "tent only" is to reserve the space for tenters so RVers don't take over, that makes sense for this area.

Oh, and P.S. I called Giant Gap a few weeks back about a particular campsite that wasn't listed as either tent or RV. They referred to the Recreation.gov website for their information (whether it was tent vs RV, how long the pad was, etc). Because Rec.gov didn't have all the info, the USFS folks checked their map in house and saw it was a 50' site, so they said I could reserve it with an RV - that was the only reason why those sites at Giant Gap are listed as Tent vs RV. I went to look at the site in person and it wasn't steep, it was perfect for an RV. When I went to checkout on the rec.gov website, "trailer" was not an option for the equipment I was bringing; 'tent' or 'nothing' were the only options. So, in a sense, that site at Giant Gap was a 'tent only' site according to rec.gov but I was allowed to reserve it.

I think the folks who suggested calling to ask are correct. There are so many opinions here it's obviously not cut and dry. Thanks for replying everyone!

* This post was edited 08/20/12 11:10am by maria_bettina *

Posted By: Raymon on 08/20/12 12:45pm

maria_bettina wrote:

Raymon wrote:

"(so it is not a 'tent only' site because it is in a specific area where all sites are tent)" I am not exactly sure of the meaning of this statement. Can you provide a clearer explanation?

Ray

Thanks for asking. When I stated "so it is not a 'tent only' site because it is in a specific area where all sites are tent" I meant that the tent site to which I am referring is not in an area of only tent sites. It's right next to an RV site.

The pad of the tent site is paved. The tent site, as far as I can tell, is exactly like the RV site next to it except that the tent site is closer to the water (not much closer, but the drop off to the water is less so putting in a kayak would be easier, hence me wanting the tent site), and the tent site's parking pad is likely shorter than the RV site's parking pad.

We have a 16' trailer, so I'm pretty sure we would fit. People were parking side by side on the paved pad. And at the time I looked at the campground, a truck with a camper was parked in the 'tent site,' with a ATV and a Jeep wedged in next to the truck on the paved pad. I don't see how a camper truck is much different than a tt of similar size.

There are no hookups at this campground.

shakyjay wrote:

I buy that logic. If the reason to label a site as "tent only" is to reserve the space for tenters so RVers don't take over, that makes sense for this area.

Oh, and P.S. I called Giant Gap a few weeks back about a particular campsite that wasn't listed as either tent or RV. They referred to the Recreation.gov website for their information (whether it was tent vs RV, how long the pad was, etc). Because Rec.gov didn't have all the info, the USFS folks checked their map in house and saw it was a 50' site, so they said I could reserve it with an RV - that was the only reason why those sites at Giant Gap are listed as Tent vs RV. I went to look at the site in person and it wasn't steep, it was perfect for an RV. When I went to checkout on the rec.gov website, "trailer" was not an option for the equipment I was bringing; 'tent' or 'nothing' were the only options. So, in a sense, that site at Giant Gap was a 'tent only' site according to rec.gov but I was allowed to reserve it.

I think the folks who suggested calling to ask are correct. There are so many opinions here it's obviously not cut and dry. Thanks for replying everyone!

Thanks for your clarification. I think if the site is not a "Tents Only" site and your RV will fit, then you should have the right to use it. In Pennsylvania state parks, many sites are RV and/or tents; they have paved pads, dedicated level tent pads and many have electricity. Many people have an RV and also erect a tent on the tent pad and this perfectly legal in Pennsylvania. Wishing you the best.

Ray

Posted By: VE3ESN on 08/20/12 06:50pm

VE3ESN wrote:

They let us use a "tent site" at James Island County Park in Charleston, SC, several years ago. Funny thing though for a "tent site", as it had water, electricity, AND sewer, BUT it was a bit cheaper. Our Roadtrek is only 19' long.

I should have mentioned that we didn't have a reservation, and that there were no 'RV sites' available. The park was very happy to obtain the revenue from us, even though we had a small RV, not a tent. We didn't have to 'beg' for a tent site or 'sneak in' to it; they offered the tent site knowing we had a small RV.

Seems to us that the policy and/or signage 'tents only' is subject to interpretation and enforcement by the particular park.

The comparison to signs like 'wet paint' etc. etc. as have been mentioned by various posters is a bit ludicrous.

Posted By: JayWalker2009 on 08/20/12 06:58pm

For those who get upset about why an RV is not normally allowed in the tent area only, but tents can rent RV sites...

I totally 'get' why a tenter should be allowed to use an RV site if they want water and electric, and I also totally 'get' why the same is not true for RV's in tent sites. For starters, the person in the tent is going to hear way more noise, so having a tent area only that helps with that. If they 'choose' to hear the noise by getting a site with electric and water, they made that choice and have no right to complain if noise is at an acceptable level. But when you start putting RV's into tent sites, ruts can be put into the ground if it is moist which makes it hard to have a decent site for a tent, and the tenters who 'choose' to forego water and electric for the quiet of the tent only area lose out if a big RV is allowed to park there.

I have a travel trailer, but I do not complain when I see a tent on a site intended for trailers because as a tent camper myself in the past, I can see why they might want the convenience of water and electric. I do not try to squeeze my TT in a tent only site even if the place is full (I don't even bother to ask) because I know why it is forbidden to do so.

When it comes to camping, there are a lot of upsides to a big luxury rig. BUT, one of those upsides is NOT that you have as many places to choose to camp. The guy in the tent has the least of amenities and convenience, but they have the MOST choices in where they can camp in most CG's, and I think God bless 'em, let 'em have that convenience since they don't get a lot of other conveniences in that tent. Same is true for smaller TT's and 5'vers. They don't have the luxury of the bigger ones, but they can fit in more places, i.e. have more choices when they reserve a site. It's one of the reasons I chose a smaller 26 foot vs a monster RV. I know that a huge Rv will limit my chances of getting a good site as I often do not have the luxury of booking my trips far in advance, so I chose a smaller rig.

Posted By: Crowe on 08/20/12 07:44pm

Thanks for your clarification. I think if the site is not a "Tents Only" site and your RV will fit, then you should have the right to use it

Agree. Your initial post was interpreted by many as meaning putting an RV in a tent only site. If it's mixed-use then there shouldn't be any reason why you can't use it.

When it comes to camping, there are a lot of upsides to a big luxury rig. BUT, one of those upsides is NOT that you have as many places to choose to camp.

Well said. One of the reasons why the Endura is gone and we will eventually get a truck camper. I loved all the space, etc., in the Endura but missed being to camp on wooded sites like we did with the tents and pop-ups. 5'er put us in the same boat as the Endura. Many people tent because to them it's really "camping" and don't want to be disturbed by tv's, generators, doors slamming, etc. But if the cg doesn't have separated areas and it's where I want to be I will just have to adjust accordingly.

Posted By: Raymon on 08/20/12 06:54am

Ray

Posted By: TGarrett on 08/20/12 09:47pm

If you wanted to park your RV in a premium site and got there and found out, that they were sold out. And that 10 of the sites were taken by a single tent parked at the rear of the pad taking up no room at all. Would you be mad? The Tent only sites are there for a reason. Some have already been said

1. No rutts from wheels
2. If you accidently dump tanks there it could cause a health issue.
3. Oil leaks could be nasty if someone were to park there with a less desirable vehicle.
4. I'd say follow the signs, or do as others have said and contact the host.

Though I'm sure they wouldn't mind you pitching a tent and roughing it.

Garrett
2004 Fleetwood Expedition 38N
Full Timer

Toad(still to be setup) 2011 Jeep Rubicon
2nd (to be put on double trailer with 1st when moving) 2008 Honda S2000

Posted By: maria_bettina on 08/21/12 09:46am

Crowe wrote:

Thanks for your clarification. I think if the site is not a "Tents Only" site and your RV will fit, then you should have the right to use it

Agree. Your initial post was interpreted by many as meaning putting an RV in a tent only site. If it's mixed-use then there shouldn't be any reason why you can't use it.

It IS labeled "tent only" site according to recreation.gov. The site is located next to and in the middle of "standard" sites (tent or RV). Some people were commenting that it would be bad if an RV set up in a "tent only" area of a campground. This is not the case. This is not an environmental site, not a walk-to site, and it's not surrounded by other "tent only" sites.

The site pad is 25' and paved (so why people keep bringing up ruts in the dirt is beyond me).

I guess my original question arises from (1) my previous experience with another campground - Giant Gap - where they allowed me to reserve with an RV when I didn't have that option on recreation.gov, and (2) because the people who where there when I looked at the "tent only" site had a truck camper parked side-by-side with their Jeep. They obviously had amenities that tenters would not.

PS I called the Ranger District, and they said that "tent only" sites are limited to one vehicle. That's the rule, but they might allow another vehicle for a fee. I need to call a different number to ask, which I did but no one was answering. So again, how there were two vehicles and an ATV parked in a "tent only" site is interesting.

* This post was edited 08/21/12 10:07am by maria_bettina *

Posted By: TyroneandGladys on 08/21/12 10:23am

It can also be a safety factor. If some one setups a tent to close to a RV with a generator carbon monoxide from the exhaust can fill the tent. We boon dock at an area lake and have had to tell tent campers more than once they need to move after they set up next to us for this very reason.

Tyrone & Gladys
26' 1986 Coachmen

Posted By: JayWalker2009 on 08/21/12 10:37am

maria_bettina wrote:

Crowe wrote:

It IS labeled "tent only" site according to recreation.gov. The site is located next to and in the middle of "standard" sites (tent or RV). Some people were commenting that it would be bad if an RV set up in a "tent only" area of a campground. This is not the case. This is not an environmental site, not a walk-to site, and it's not surrounded by other "tent only" sites.

The site pad is 25' and paved (so why people keep bringing up ruts in the dirt is beyond me).

I guess my original question arises from (1) my previous experience with another campground - Giant Gap - where they allowed me to reserve with an RV when I didn't have that option on recreation.gov, and (2) because the people who where there when I looked at the "tent only" site had a truck camper parked side-by-side with their Jeep. They obviously had amenities that tenters would not.

PS I called the Ranger District, and they said that "tent only" sites are limited to one vehicle. That's the rule, but they might allow another vehicle for a fee. I need to call a different number to ask, which I did but no one was answering. So again, how there were two vehicles and an ATV parked in a "tent only" site is interesting.

I still contend that 'tent only' sites and areas should be left for the tents. They do have reasons for this, and you may not be privvy to all of those reasons. That truck camper might have slipped in under the radar since it is also just his vehicle. Who knows. But if you are told no, you can't park your RV there, you should stick to it as that is the rules they set. And how do you know what fees that person might have paid who had two vehicles and an ATV? How do you now one vehicle wasn't a temporary guest? you are making a lot of assumptions and using those assumptions to justify yourself being able to park an RV in a tent space and I think its silly to do so.

JMO. You don't have to agree with it.

Posted By: The Texan on 08/21/12 10:43am

I agree, what is so hard about being a "considerate" RVer and leaving the "tent only" sites to the tenters..

Posted By: maria_bettina on 08/21/12 12:30pm

The Texan wrote:

I agree, what is so hard about being a "considerate" RVer and leaving the "tent only" sites to the tenters..

Uh, maybe you didn't read my post script. The "tent only" sites are designed for one vehicle. I called the USFS Ranger District; they told me that themselves. Within their own rules, I can park my TT there; that's one vehicle. I can park my truck elsewhere or have my husband bring it home. I don't understand why there is still an issue?!

Posted By: monkey44 on 08/21/12 12:48pm

maria_bettina wrote:

At a federal USFS campground, can an RV park in a "tent only" site, assuming they fit? There's a site I want, that is right next to an RV site(so it is not a 'tent only' site because it is in a specific area where all sites are tent), and i know my tt will fit.

In your page four post, you don't understand why it's still an issue.

You asked in this post can you park in a tent-only site, NO MENTION if it was a one-vehicle site that some rangers migth break the rules and allow you in with an RV. But you want to go there "Just because it will fit."

The responses were generally an answer to your OP: Leave the tent-only sites for tents and keep the noise of an RV where it belongs, on an RV site. Tent only sites are generally sites where we can find NO generators and no RV noise - that's why tenters go there.

How would you like a tenter to take the LAST electric spot on some site in a CG you might want, JUST because the tent will fit.

Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & JAX Fla
GMC 2500 4x4 Sierra X-Cab
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
2002 Angler 8B
Back-country camping fanatic

Posted By: maria_bettina on 08/21/12 12:53pm

monkey44 wrote:

maria_bettina wrote:

You asked in this post can you park in a tent-only site, NO MENTION if it was a one-vehicle site that some rangers migth break the rules and allow you in with an RV. But you want to go there "Just because it will fit."

The responses were generally an answer to your OP: Leave the tent-only sites for tents and keep the noise of an RV where it belongs, on an RV site. Tent only sites are generally sites where we can find NO generators and no RV noise - that's why tenters go there.

How would you like a tenter to take the LAST electric spot on some site in a CG you might want, JUST because the tent will fit.

I actually wouldn't care. They'd pay the same fee as i would.

And I thank the people who posted with their opinions, and I see that different areas probably have different rules. But for this particular campground, "tent only" means one vehicle. Are you suggesting that I go by what the majority in this thread wants me to do rather than what the USFS Ranger District says? Ranger District answers trump thread opinions. (And I don't have a generator and I'm so much less noisy than a bunch of young tenters who are drinking all day. Just sayin')

Posted By: JayWalker2009 on 08/21/12 02:39pm

maria_bettina wrote:

monkey44 wrote:

maria_bettina wrote:

I actually wouldn't care. They'd pay the same fee as i would.

And I thank the people who posted with their opinions, and I see that different areas probably have different rules. But for this particular campground, "tent only" means one vehicle. Are you suggesting that I go by what the majority in this thread wants me to do rather than what the USFS Ranger District says? Ranger District answers trump thread opinions. (And I don't have a generator and I'm so much less noisy than a bunch of young tenters who are drinking all day. Just sayin')

I can't speak for this particular place but 'one vehicle' allowed when used in reference to tent area sites typically means one vehicle parked on the site that the driver and occupants of the tent are using. not one vehicle as in a TT. Where do you intend to park your TV if this is the logic you are using? That would make it two vehicles.

It sounds like that by saying your TT is that 'one vehicle' you are allowed that you trying to really stretch the rules.I find it hard to believe that a tent only area means one vehicle and they are referring to 5'ers, TT's, etc as being the one vehicle.

* This post was edited 08/21/12 03:08pm by JayWalker2009 *

Posted By: mockybird on 08/21/12 07:04pm

maria_b.......in your first post, you asked about camping in a "tent only" site that you knew your TT would fit in. So from the start, you classified it as a "tent only" site. I would think that you would not need to ask if tent only didn't mean tent only.You have been given many thoughts on this but I personally feel that you knew what answers you would get, but hoped for ones that fit what you were hoping to hear.So now camp on.

Posted By: maria_bettina on 08/22/12 11:12am

What I said in my post on 8/21 at 8:46am was the recreation.gov classified this particular site as "tent only." What I found out is that the USFS does not. When I called the USFS, the ranger directed me to an online USFS map that has sites listed by length where 25' to 35' sites are "tent sites" and 35' to 50' are tent, RV and trailer. And what she said to me personally was exactly that - it's based on length of rig. In fact, because the limit for the site is one vehicle, she's the one who suggested I park the TV in a separate parking lot but to find out if there was a fee for that by calling a different number.

When I post a question on the forum, I am looking for someone who has been in this particular situation. Maybe someone had already called a ranger station about the classifications on recreation.gov. Who knows?! Those that suggested I call the ranger station were on the right path. And I eventually called and got the answer from the ranger.

It's interesting that once I got the answer from the ranger and posted my findings, people STILL weren't able to accept that. Had the ranger said that tents can only be on that campsite, I would have probably asked 'why' and then replied, "Oh okay, thanks for your time," and hung up.

What I've found, at least around here in federal campgrounds, is that the USFS really wants people to enjoy the outdoors and will help people when they can. The ranger found me an online map, she gave me another number to call, she gave me suggestions about what I could do with the TV if I parked by TT on the pad. Why couldn't the responses after I posted about my conversation with the ranger have been, "Oh, great. Good for you. Glad you called. Have a great time." Rather, people continue to post their opinions without taking into account new information.

I personally like to ask questions, and I will continue to do so - here, there, everywhere.

Posted By: WishWeWereCamping on 08/22/12 11:37pm

We've tent camped, cabover camper camped, and trailer camped. We've seen people in both state parks here in CA and USFS parks with motorhomes, etc. camped in "tent sites" with no repercussions, generators or not.

If you were to pull into a state park or USFS park without any reservations, you wouldn't be able to tell whether it was a "tent site" vs. a RV site unless it's clearly labeled at the site, which I have sometimes seen here in CA, but usually it's an environmental or bike-in site. If you can fit, I don't think it would be a problem. But you're right to just call ahead and ask.

I also believe that all state and USFS campgrounds should establish at least one generator free loop for those of us who don't want to listen to the sounds of generators going on at all hours of the day. You don't really need them where we camp if you choose to do "simple camping". I don't think that we should have to drive 5 - 10 miles down a dirt road to find a place to camp without listening to someone's generator. To us, it's nice to hear the birds, the sounds of people having a good time, dogs barking once in a while, and little kids crying and playing. I just don't want to listen to generators for hours on end; Onan, Honda, or whatever generator that their owners don't think we can hear from 100 feet away.

Upon edit, we own two generators, and have only used one of them once while we were camping. We just don't bring it along any more, we don't need it, don't want to listen to it, and don't want to bother others with the noise.

* This post was edited 08/22/12 11:43pm by WishWeWereCamping *

Posted By: beemerphile1 on 08/23/12 08:58am

I was at a USFS campground that had two areas. The RV area was on one side of the street and the tent area was on the other side of the street. RVs are allowed in the tent area but they must be on the small paved parking area. The vehicle/trailer/motorhome must not be on the ground off of the paved parking area and generators are not allowed.

So even though it was called the "tent area" it was not strictly for tents only. I know on a pop up forum that I visit many posters say that they regularly camp in tent sites with a pop up trailer. I suppose it varies with the management of each individual campground.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it..."
Judge Learned Hand

2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900/1998 Ford E150 4.6L = 8MPG
2009 Aliner Sport/2009 Pontiac Vibe 1.8L = 22MPG

Posted By: maria_bettina on 08/24/12 10:42am

WishWeWereCamping wrote:

We've tent camped, cabover camper camped, and trailer camped. We've seen people in both state parks here in CA and USFS parks with motorhomes, etc. camped in "tent sites" with no repercussions, generators or not.

If you were to pull into a state park or USFS park without any reservations, you wouldn't be able to tell whether it was a "tent site" vs. a RV site unless it's clearly labeled at the site, which I have sometimes seen here in CA, but usually it's an environmental or bike-in site. If you can fit, I don't think it would be a problem. But you're right to just call ahead and ask.

I think you said it better than I. I looked at a map from Wrights Lake, which is USFS and in the same area as the campground I'm looking into. There is a "tent" area, but on the map it is clearly labeled "No trailers allowed." The more I look at the USFS maps, the more I realize that those are the tools I need to use rather than what's on recreation.gov.

WishWeWereCamping wrote:

I also believe that all state and USFS campgrounds should establish at least one generator free loop for those of us who don't want to listen to the sounds of generators going on at all hours of the day. You don't really need them where we camp if you choose to do "simple camping". I don't think that we should have to drive 5 - 10 miles down a dirt road to find a place to camp without listening to someone's generator. To us, it's nice to hear the birds, the sounds of people having a good time, dogs barking once in a while, and little kids crying and playing. I just don't want to listen to generators for hours on end; Onan, Honda, or whatever generator that their owners don't think we can hear from 100 feet away.

Upon edit, we own two generators, and have only used one of them once while we were camping. We just don't bring it along any more, we don't need it, don't want to listen to it, and don't want to bother others with the noise.

I wish, and us too. While I was at Loon Lake, I heard some lawn mower, and ended up figuring out that someone was running their generator. It was loud and obnoxious. Even though it's the middle of the day, I'm there to listen to the birds and wind. And I smile when dogs bark. Although, truth be told, I would pick up two Yamahas in a heartbeat if they went on sale. Having AC when there's no shade on our TT would be heaven-sent. My boy with no naps is not a pretty sight...

beemerphile1 wrote:

I was at a USFS campground that had two areas. The RV area was on one side of the street and the tent area was on the other side of the street. RVs are allowed in the tent area but they must be on the small paved parking area. The vehicle/trailer/motorhome must not be on the ground off of the paved parking area and generators are not allowed.

So even though it was called the "tent area" it was not strictly for tents only. I know on a pop up forum that I visit many posters say that they regularly camp in tent sites with a pop up trailer. I suppose it varies with the management of each individual campground.
Interesting. I hadn't even thought about the tent trailers. They are kind of a middle ground. Thanks for replying to my post.

Posted By: mockybird on 08/26/12 05:54pm

So case closed and we are all happy and we all can go camping ?

Print  |  Close