Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) on the Open Roads Forum

LLeopold
Explorer
Explorer
Frequently Asked Questions on the Open Roads Forum

Click on any of the underlined bulleted subjects below to open the subject thread.

If you don't see any clickable links in a topic, try using the search utility (the magnifying glass in the upper right corner) See "About this thread" after the list. If you find it useful and think it will help others, please share it here as well.

Before you begin:
It is good to review the Forum Rules from time to time just to confirm what you agreed to when becoming a member of the Open Roads Forum and by popular demand: Acronyms and Abbreviations Used in the Forum

Another question that comes up frequently is how a member goes from "New" to "Full" to "Senior" status. It is purely based on the number of posts made and not how much the member knows (though some will have you believe the latter!). "New" members have made 0-49 posts, "Full" members 50-249 posts, and "Senior" 250 and more posts. Also, when one becomes a Senior member, it is customary to send each of the members who are "Moderator" $20.00... (I'm kidding!) ;).

And finally, a note for Good Sam Members: If you are an active Good Sam Member and you have registered on the forums using the same email address that is associated with your Good Sam account, your profile will, by default, display a small Good Sam Logo Badge when you post indicating you are a Good Sam Member. If you do not want the badge to display, log out, clear your internet cookies, and log back into the forums, go to My Forums/My Profile and select NO in the drop-down menu beside the words "Show GSC badge". Then go to the bottom of the page and click on "Submit Changes".

0. How Do I Get My RV.NET Stickers?

1. How to Decide on the Type of RV and Things to Consider

2. Checklists & Procedures

3. Weighing your RV & Weigh Stations

4. Hitches
4a. Fifth Wheel Hitches and Sliders

4b. Weight Distribution Hitches

5. Brake controllers

6. Tire Pressure

7. Dually Inflation

8. Valve Extenders

9. Tire Pressure Monitors

10. Air Compressors (often discussed under tire pressure)

11. Wal*Mart and Other Free Camping

12. Black Streaks and How to Remove Them

There is a Part II to the FAQ - please see the next posting. -LL
Lou Leopold
Between RVs at this point
but I continue to tent camp!
28 REPLIES 28

bnick8576
Explorer
Explorer
open roads with lil peep hoodie, i mean these 104 gal grey sounds great

Fritz_and_Me
Explorer
Explorer
Have been thinking about going to Florida for the winters and have wondered how to get started, ie, what do you have to do with your home, mail etc. just basic questions about what to take with you ? Do you make reservations without seeing campgrounds, or should you make a rundown and check out places first. Any info will help.
Thanks
Fritz and Me

Okichewy1
Explorer
Explorer
Have owned a 26' TT before but looking into a Class A MH now. Even though this information is from 5 years ago, gives me lots of questions and information that is still useful.

mtnsun99
Explorer
Explorer
I plan on going to Florida and spend winters there. Does anyone recommend a good camp ground or rv park to stay in? I'd like hook ups although full hook ups are not necessary. A reasonable price for 4 month stay would be nice. Looking for mid Florida and lower Florida for sites. I have a 35 foot motor home and tow a car. I'm an older person so a 55 and older park would be nice. Thanks for your help.
HAPPY TRAILS TO YOU

Dlinkins
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for information to obtain a secure Wi-Fi while traveling. In layman's language. Newbie to RV life and going to be on the road Jan- April. Any help would be appreciated

ParkCountry
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome to the forum and to the RVing world. Glad that you have joined us! Feel free to ask the community anything and everything about all things RV. Don't be shy. We were all newbies here once and are eager to share our knowledge and experiences.

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
cipherking wrote:
Hello everyone i am brand new to the forum and to rving. just saying hello and thaks for leting me in.

Welcome.
2003 Revolution 40C Class A. Electric smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

cipherking
Explorer
Explorer
Hello everyone i am brand new to the forum and to rving. just saying hello and thaks for leting me in.

Wwiace
Explorer
Explorer
Bought palazzo 33.3 Mother's Day weekend yahoo!!!
Broken slide first trip on Fourth of July back to camping world.:(
Four weeks later came to pick up replaced twisted slide motor replaced
On third test try new motor twisted
I live an hour away was dropped off at 4:30 now 6 and they are locking doors and I have to still wait hour for ride home Grrrrrrrrrr. Would my chevy or Mercedes dealer do this on vehicles half the cost of a palazzo??? Hmmm
Next day service tells me it's the bracket not the motor that's why it twisted have to order parts ... two more weeks. Cancel camping reservations take family to hotel vaca
Two weeks later....wrong parts sol
Two weeks later should be here tomorrow
Three days later ... we are still waiting on parts due tomorrow ( is this taped to phone)
August 28 .... three calls to service .... voicemail

Camping world island lake Illinois does not have the right people or process!!

Not a happy camper here
who do you call at coporate level to get things done!

TxHemp
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, what a great forum. Lots of good stuff here.

I have a beginner question but it mostly pertains to motorhome drivers in Texas.

Our Texas driver licensing regulations are vague at best and I'm having a heck of a time trying to determine if I need any special licensing to drive my motorhome in Texas, or any state for that matter.

The regs are clear in that recreational RV drivers in Texas are exempt from being required to have a commercial drivers license(CDL). Does that mean I'm ok with my standard Class C license that we all get to drive a car or pick-up or do I need a non-CDL Class A or B license?

If anyone could help me answer this question I would sure appreciate it.

Thanks,
TxHemp

Obdug
Explorer
Explorer
Dolly towing a FWD VW Tiguan 2.0T...Anything I need to be aware of ? Towing behind Coachmen C Class 29' Santara Ford V8 7.5 460. First timer
OtherBrotherDoug

Mabes___Babe
Explorer
Explorer
There are a couple of great sites to check this out.
One is https://militaryliving.com/
Next get info on the base and they will direct you to the RV park the Camp Host there are in these areas are very informative.
This site is a wealth of information and reviews,I look at this frequently GREAT site well managed, with trustworthy reviews. Go here first,have fun enjoy the keys!
John
J&J
2002 Prowler 27NLS TT
Gearing up for a Fifth-Wheel
2003 3500 Dually GMC Sierra 8.1L Allison

lucy6194
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone who camped at signed military campground know if they have storage. Thinking about taking rv down after Christmas,coming back to new england for Drs appointments then return to key west

SHELLMAN
Explorer
Explorer
I recently bought a f250 lariat crew cab 4x4 with a rear axle of 10,000 looking at the 2017 lance 825 and 855s i do have a camper package with it. also putting air bags and the torklift suspension kit my tire have a 3360 payload on each tire. Looking for some information.

Johansengirl
Explorer
Explorer
My husband & I are RVing across the US, coast to coast and everything in between. We stay in parks some of the time but often we are just driving to get to a new location. We tend to make our driving days in daylight so we don't miss a thing. So we spend a lot of nights in places that are just to have a place to park, eat and sleep.
We utilize the free parking in Walmart parking lots and have been pleased with the ease of use and secure environment. All of you RVers out there who use this service I have a suggestion; go in and buy what you can at the store where ycou spent the night. Then take a bit of time to drop a thank you note in the mail to the manager for allowing you to stay. I include the sales receipt in the note so the manager can see it is a win/win situation. The manager's name and address are at the top of every Wallmart receipt. Maybe if we all take the time to say thank you this wonderful free travel benefit will remain in place...and maybe the Walmart's who don't provide free overnight parking will see the light.