Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Do RV dealers winterize every unit on there lot?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Do RV dealers winterize every unit on there lot?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 11/05/12 05:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All new units are shipped winterized (pink stuff in system). I would hope the dealer does the same to the used units they own!

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 12yrs
Daughter Marissa 11yrs
Dog Shadow

07 Cherokee 32B
02 Excursion 4X4 V-10 4.30 gear 5Star tuner Y-pipe mod Hellwig sway bar
Reese HP dualcam Prodigy brake controller

A bad day of camping is
better than a good day at work!

WandaLust2

TN

View Profile

Posted: 11/05/12 05:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TiogaChevy wrote:

Could this just be something dealerships push at us to make a hundred plus bucks every Fall or in my case six bucks for the antifreeze?

Wal*Mart has the pink RV and Marine anti-freeze for $2.50 a gallon. Do it yourself and save the $100 bucks.

WandaLust. Retired. Middle TN
Heartland 2011 NorthTrail 28BRS
1993 Ford Dutchman Class-C

phillyg

Front Royal, VA

View Profile

Posted: 11/05/12 06:09am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The dealership should winterize the used units else they chance selling a leaky unit to a customer. Do they? I don't know. Putting in the pink stuff is not a dealer/supplier gimmick to take your money. I've had mixed results only blowing out the lines. If any line has a dip in it, some water will remain there. Don't ask me how I know.

2002 Keystone Cougar 286, 8,400lbs loaded, pulled with a 2004 F150 Supercrew, 5.4, 3.73 gears. Retired and enjoying life

wmoses

Houston, Texas, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/05/12 06:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Rangerider wrote:

I see signs of the Pink Stuff at my Dealer in new units. Also see it when we go to RV shows in the area. So I'm guessing they do.

Same here, and in my neck of the woods there is no need to winterize so I assume that units are shipped from the factory winterized to some degree.

Regards,
Wayne
2014 Flagstaff Super Lite 27RLWS Emerald Ed. | Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L | K&N Filter | Hypertech Max Energy tune | Prodigy P3
_

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 11/05/12 09:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

They winterize every unit but not every dealer winterizes the same way. Some use air and some use AF. So this in no way dictates what is best.

It's my suspicion that manufacturers use AF to pressure check the system no matter what time of year they are built. This way no matter how long it sits on a lot it's safe. It would be an extra step to have to drain and blow everything out that just wouldn't be value added for them.

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins (lightly bombed),
2004 Forest River 25RKS many, many mods.
POS H0NDA eu2000i

TiogaChevy

Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/05/12 10:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great responses! Sounds like dealers all do something more than just drain the lines by gravity. Also, appears manufacturers all do something different. I know mine never saw any AF and I gravity drained about 1 and 1/2 gallons of water from lines when I got it home last month. That was most likely the water used to pressure test the system. I am putting the AF in today. AF is too cheap to not do and chance broken line. New experience since this is the first RV I have had with a AF port. Always just put 3 gallons in fresh water tank and circulated it with the pump. Then 1 gallon in traps, gray and black tanks. This should be much easier and use less AF. Thanks for the input.

2013 Flagstaff Micro-Lite

tim and amy

Beaverton Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 11/05/12 12:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When we looked at our kodiak the dealer didn't even have a chance to put it through service before they put it on the lot. It came from dutchmen with AF in the lines.
The dealer then tested the system and flushed most of it out. But we still had to sanitize the system when we got it home.

FYI,
Camping world and most RV dealers sell the chuck that attaches to your fresh water connection to blow out the system. Don't put more than 30psi in it when blowing it out.
You can Youtube a full video on how to winterize your trailer. It only takes about an hour and is very, very easy.

2012 Kodiak 300BHSL Ultimate with Fall Edition Package
2003 Ford Excursion V10 Sold!!
2005 Ford Excursion 6.0L Diesel

Bonefish

Midland, TX

View Profile

Posted: 11/05/12 03:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It was during going over the new camper that the dealership showed me the low point drains and how to blow out the lines with air.

brownieab

Home

View Profile

Posted: 11/05/12 03:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lets not forget that the manufacturer and dealers are not paying $ 2.50 a gallon. They have to be buying in bulk..aka 55 gallon drums or 275 gallon totes. Therefore the actual cost of winterizing is in the labor to do it

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Do RV dealers winterize every unit on there lot?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Good Sam Club | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS