Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Extended warranty
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Extended warranty

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
goducks10

There

View Profile

Posted: 04/26/13 10:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for all the responses. I'm passing on the ext warranty. The $2000 would end up being $2880 over time. Only using it for 30 nights a yr is only 7 mnths total in 7 yrs. $2880 is a lot for 7mths use, IMO.
Thanks again.

tgreening

Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 04/26/13 07:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

goducks10 wrote:

Thanks for all the responses. I'm passing on the ext warranty. The $2000 would end up being $2880 over time. Only using it for 30 nights a yr is only 7 mnths total in 7 yrs. $2880 is a lot for 7mths use, IMO.
Thanks again.

You'd be surprised how much******can fail in those 7 months. These things aren't exactly winning any awards for quality of construction. Crawl down in the basement and pull one of the walls hiding your plumbing/duct work/wiring and you'll get a depressing eyeful. Pride in a job well done seems to have mostly missed the mark in the RV industry.

My 3rd trip out with a brand new unit and my hydraulic system blew a massive leak that left me sitting in a campground with non-functioning slides, non-functioning landing gear, and a campground operator that wanted me gone because it was "Closed for the season" day.

2008 Ford F-450 "Lil Beasty"
2011 Heartland 3950 "Big Beasty"
1970 DW Made in Japan "Big Bossy"
2005 DD Made in Ohio "Big Pain"
2007 DD Made in Ohio "Lil Pain"
2004 GR Bahzu the dog "Big Sissy"
2010 Weim Mobo the dog "Fast Spaz"

Paul Clancy

BC Canada

View Profile

Posted: 04/27/13 05:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If they really failed at a rate of 2g per rig the extended warranty would cost 10g.

Old Duck

Albany, Or

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/27/13 08:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

goducks10 wrote:

You probably standout a little with all that orange and black near you. Big game tomorrow, I hope we win.

Yup, will win this one!

goducks10

There

View Profile

Posted: 04/27/13 08:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tgreening wrote:

goducks10 wrote:

Thanks again.

You'd be surprised how much******can fail in those 7 months. These things aren't exactly winning any awards for quality of construction. Crawl down in the basement and pull one of the walls hiding your plumbing/duct work/wiring and you'll get a depressing eyeful. Pride in a job well done seems to have mostly missed the mark in the RV industry.

My 3rd trip out with a brand new unit and my hydraulic system blew a massive leak that left me sitting in a campground with non-functioning slides, non-functioning landing gear, and a campground operator that wanted me gone because it was "Closed for the season" day.

The 5'er we're getting is really a basic unit. Only elec front jacks, manual rears and gear drive slide. Also its a short slide not a 12' long one that may wear out sooner. In house built frame (Not Lippert). I know things can and will go wrong, so I will just deal with them when they happen. I'm handy enough to be able to fix most things so thats the route I'm taking.

kennethwooster

Perryton Tx USA

View Profile

Posted: 04/27/13 10:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use to always get extended warranty. Began to realize that most repairs happened during the first 12 months. We bought a Fleetwood Quantum in 2007. It of course has a Lippert frame. We did have to use the extended warranty on the frame, due to Lippert installing them improperly. (reason I avoid anything with Lippert). Traded for a Cameo and did not get extended warranty. Quality is so much better I see not reason for it. I really think the extended warranty companies are the big money makers.

kenneth wooster- retired farmer. Biblical History Teacher in public HS, and substitute teacher.
wife Diana-adult probation officer, now retired.
31KSLS Full Body paint Cameo
Ford F350 2014 DRW 4X4 King Ranch.
20K B&W Puck mount hitch

Ozlander

Rose Hill, Kansas

View Profile

Posted: 05/05/13 01:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tgreening wrote:

How did an extended warranty help in that case?
Getting their permission to fix it would extend your stay.

Ozlander

06 Yukon XL
2001 Trail-Lite 7253

RAS43

Littleton,CO

View Profile

Posted: 05/05/13 04:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ozlander wrote:

tgreening wrote:

How did an extended warranty help in that case?
Getting their permission to fix it would extend your stay.

If it was a brand new unit the manufacturers warranty would cover it, not any extended warranty.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Extended warranty
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Good Sam Club | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS