Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Cutting hole for dryer vent
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

 > Cutting hole for dryer vent

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
larry barnhart

wenatchee. wa usa

Senior Member

Joined: 03/30/2001

View Profile





Offline
Posted: 06/08/13 08:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Lantley wrote:

4" hole saw


Too small!

The pipe is 4" . 4 1/4" would be better.




My total work experience has been in construction and including myself at times without the correct tool it is usually a bigger problem with the hole too tight.

tools are everything.
chevman


chevman
2001 35 ft avalon alpenlite RK
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy
easyrider/reese airhitch
trailair center point suspension
JT Strong Arm Stabilizers
KSH 55 inbed fuel tank
Garmin 2720
scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors


Atom Ant

Denver, CO

Senior Member

Joined: 02/23/2013

View Profile



Posted: 06/08/13 12:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BuckBarker wrote:

Start with a small hole from the inside and bend a coat hanger at 90 degrees and insert into the hole. Spin the hanger all around and if it doesn't hit on anything then you are good.
It better hit something, unless you are totally un-insulated!

I've installed my dryer vent in 3 different rigs now with the same 4" hole saw. Use the morning dew to find the studs, use some common sense to avoid the electrical, and go for it. I go from the outside in, then go inside and finish through the same pilot hole. The 4" hole saw is about 1/2" short of going all the way through which avoids any splintering of wood or chipping of gel as experienced when drilling all the way through from one side.

I've kept the plugs from all of them as a joke for coasters. They are laminated wood sandwiched over a Styrofoam core.

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

Senior Member

Joined: 08/23/2005

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/08/13 12:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

larry barnhart wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Lantley wrote:

4" hole saw


Too small!

The pipe is 4" . 4 1/4" would be better.




My total work experience has been in construction and including myself at times without the correct tool it is usually a bigger problem with the hole too tight.

tools are everything.
chevman


If we want to get technical what is the outside diameter of the hood or discharge cover being used?


07'Duramax dually,12'Open Range 399BHS
Hawkshead TPMS,Hensley BD3,Killerbee exhaust brake
Blue Ox Bedsaver,air bags w/compressor,Garmin RV760
Arvika pin box bike rack,Bak Flip G2 cover
5500 Onan LP,EMS-HW-50
14'Porta Bote w/8.0 Nissan
Vu Cube 2000,Splendide WD


Cummins12V98

on the road

Senior Member

Joined: 06/03/2012

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/08/13 03:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lantley wrote:

larry barnhart wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Lantley wrote:

4" hole saw


Too small!

The pipe is 4" . 4 1/4" would be better.




My total work experience has been in construction and including myself at times without the correct tool it is usually a bigger problem with the hole too tight.

tools are everything.
chevman


If we want to get technical what is the outside diameter of the hood or discharge cover being used?


It all depends on the model. Measure what you are using and size the hole about 1/4" larger than what goes thru the wall.


2011 Ram Laramie Longhorn 3500 Dually Long Bed, Cummins 350/800 HO, Towin Machine
B&W Companion Hitch, Maghytec Trans and Rear Dif Covers, AMZ/OIL Top To Bottom
2007 1/2 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 27,000# Combined

remoandiris

Florida

Senior Member

Joined: 07/13/2011

View Profile



Posted: 06/08/13 03:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks all. Hole saw it is. The new unit likely has a designated spot to cut the vent hole. At least the 2013 version I saw had the spot designated. I ass-u-me the 2014 version does as well.


2011 GMC 3500 Dually
New to me 2006 Jayco Designer 38RDQS
2 Boxers and a Maine Coon

ol Bombero-JC

USA

Senior Member

Joined: 06/24/2004

View Profile



Posted: 06/08/13 03:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

remoandiris wrote:

Thanks all. Hole saw it is. The new unit likely has a designated spot to cut the vent hole. At least the 2013 version I saw had the spot designated. I ass-u-me the 2014 version does as well.


How about calling the trlr mfg's tech line and ask?..

~

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

 > Cutting hole for dryer vent
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Good Sam Club | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS