cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UK travel Trailer

Ashbourne
Explorer
Explorer
Although I travel in a 5th wheel built in the USA and shipped to the UK, I thought you guys might be interested in this TT (caravan) that is available here.
Briefly, it has a maximum weight of about 4400lbs, inertia (over-run brakes), Alde central heating, all aluminum frame work and costs here about $38000

18 REPLIES 18

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
Too bad they don't make a model with the door on the "US" side of the trailer - I'd buy one in a minute and have it shipped here.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

bakerkids
Explorer
Explorer
I love their trailers. They get all the great makes across the pond.
Me '62, DH '59, DS '89, DD '90, DD '92
1 shih tzu
Our photos

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
opnspaces wrote:
I like it, thanks for sharing. I also like the anti snaking system. I wonder if we might see something like that soon in the US for those of us who don't have manufacturers factory integrated braking systems or $2,500 to buy a Hensley.

A lot of the AL KO research was done here in their Australian manufacturing operation in Melbourne.
They used a sedan to tow this Lightweight test Caravan.
Lightweight Caravan being tested with ESC and towed by a sedan

BroncosFan
Explorer
Explorer
Ford has anti trailer sway you can see on youtube although not like this one

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
I like it, thanks for sharing. I also like the anti snaking system. I wonder if we might see something like that soon in the US for those of us who don't have manufacturers factory integrated braking systems or $2,500 to buy a Hensley.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

BroncosFan
Explorer
Explorer
That Photographer standing there wins the award

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
Nice looking trailers. I would love to tow one sometime to see how their "anti snaking" feature works.
I really like that they are designing the doorways wider than standard.
Interesting that they fit commercial tires.

For my kind of use, the ground clearance does look a little bit low. Folks over there must keep their camping adventures to pretty well to well graded roads ?

Thank for posting, always good to see how other markets are thinking and designing.

EDIT: I found this video that shows what appears to their brand of choice for the anti snaking control. Those guys are having some serious fun doing the testing.

http://www.bpw-fahrzeugtechnik.de/en/products/caravan/idc/

rvtrailerpuller
Explorer
Explorer
Ashbourne wrote:
Although I travel in a 5th wheel built in the USA and shipped to the UK, I thought you guys might be interested in this TT (caravan) that is available here.
Briefly, it has a maximum weight of about 4400lbs, inertia (over-run brakes), Alde central heating, all aluminum frame work and costs here about $38000

I really wish that here in North America we had the RV caravan (trailer) manufacturers to design and sell trailers with a more European center of balance. It seems that East of the Atlantic there is not such a fixation on being more than %10 of trailer weight on the hitch. Such a demand for a tongue weight means tow vehicles need to be very large. In Europe it seems to be acceptable to be anywhere between 4 to 7 % of trailer weight on the tongue. This would not require such huge tow vehicles. Of course, in the UK and Europe the standard maximum speed limit of any vehicle towing a trailer is 60mph. Weight distribution hitches are rare, but friction sway control is common. There seems to much more emphasis on keeping most of the weight near the trailer axels, rather than fixating on a very high tongue weight.
2005 Jayco JayFlight 31BHDS, Hensley
2004.5 Chevrolet 2500HD crew cab Duramax LLY diesel

I_am_still_wayn
Explorer
Explorer
Ashbourne wrote:
I am still wayne_tw wrote:
In the UK, people will tow it with a Ford Fiesta but here in the US, a 3/4 ton diesel powered pick up will be the minimum or the weight police will be in overdrive!

Sorry only just seen your post. Every vehicle in the UK has a towing limit, this is enforceable by law. To quote your example the Ford Fiesta has A tow limit of 900kgs. In addition to this the two main touring organizations recommend that you do not allow your trailer to exceed 85% of the kerb weight of the towing vehicle
The Fiesta has a kerb weight of 1045kgs so 85% would be about 889kgs. In this case you would be very lucky to find such a light weight caravan. But I appreciate your input.

I was making a joke about how much smaller vehicles tow caravans in the UK that in the US everyone would say is way underpowered. Every time I visit the UK, I see so many small passenger vehicles towing caravans. In the US it seems mandatory to have a big truck with a diesel engine to tow!

Oh by the way, thanks to you and your countrymen for being such good hosts for my visits. I often wonder if visitors here in the US are treated as well.

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the link to the site, Ashbourne- very informative.

I'm especially impressed with the spec sheets- unlike most North American companies, they add 3% to the weight numbers for variations in materials and water/fuel etc.
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

Ashbourne
Explorer
Explorer
I am still wayne_tw wrote:
In the UK, people will tow it with a Ford Fiesta but here in the US, a 3/4 ton diesel powered pick up will be the minimum or the weight police will be in overdrive!

Sorry only just seen your post. Every vehicle in the UK has a towing limit, this is enforceable by law. To quote your example the Ford Fiesta has A tow limit of 900kgs. In addition to this the two main touring organizations recommend that you do not allow your trailer to exceed 85% of the kerb weight of the towing vehicle
The Fiesta has a kerb weight of 1045kgs so 85% would be about 889kgs. In this case you would be very lucky to find such a light weight caravan. But I appreciate your input.

Ashbourne
Explorer
Explorer
Its made by a new company called Eterniti Caravans based in the NW of England near Liverpool
It has an anti snaking trailer control system and a Winterhoff stabilser hitch head.
No windows at the rear, but all windows are acrylic double glazed.
No lower to the ground than any other European RV as is the norm here.
You can see more at there web site Here

exploringcaroli
Explorer
Explorer
Like windows in the front. Does it also have rear windows?
Nice looking TT.
Bill
Oliver Elite II
5.7L Tundra 4X4

BroncosFan
Explorer
Explorer
Real nice thanks for sharing.