cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bunk rooms....for storage?

MookieKat
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone turn a bunk room into a closet? I just don't know if we would have enough room in TT for clothes, storage, etc. I wondered if getting one with bunk beds in it may help with the storage situation..

From what I have seen, storage for clothes are spartan.

Originally, when we thought that we would use an SUV for TV, I thought that we could store hangups in the TV. But, if we get a truck...that is not possible, so need more storage in the TT.
16 REPLIES 16

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
If the bunks are in the rear then you absolutely must keep a watch on how much weight you put there. Without a tongue scale handy you will just be playing roulette with the tongue weight issue. All it will take is one time for your trailer to go into a wild sway condition and you will be convinced, if it does not cause you to lose control. 10% to 15% of the trailer weight is what you want for tongue weight, so to know those numbers a trip to the CAT scale is needed.

samjp
Explorer
Explorer
I am replying to an old topic, but I feel it also applies to the future. We just bought a 23 foot travel trailer. I wanted the bunk beds specifically for storage for clothing and linens. I bought folding boxes covered in fabric in the same color as the cover on the beds. They fold up flat when not in use, like in the winter. The top bunk holds 2 sleeping bags, extra pillows, extra blankets and 2 jackets. The bottom bunk holds the folding boxes with sheets for both our Murphy bed and the dinette bed if used, towels, wash cloths, table cloths and the few clothes that do not fit in the tiny closets. Also a folding box that holds DVDs, coloring books, crayons, kindles and games. If grand kids go with us, we will put all nicely organized boxes in the back of our Yukon so the beds can be used instead of making up the dinette bed. If more than 2 go with us, we can still make up the dinette and we will have the required linens for it. The bunk beds can be made up with the sleeping bags. I love it. Its like a "tiny house".

cdru
Explorer
Explorer
On our Timberlodge 30' we converted the bunk area to a computer/sewing room. However, we have just been using it for storage so far.

popupcamping
Explorer
Explorer
MookieKat wrote:
Does making mods to a TT reduce the resale value?

in most cases YES

MookieKat
Explorer
Explorer
Does making mods to a TT reduce the resale value?

MookieKat
Explorer
Explorer
RoyB...what a brilliant idea!! I had thoughts of setting up an office in the BH as well!!

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
We have bunks and don't use them for sleeping but we do enjoy the extra storage. The top bunk is fishing poles, breads, towels, the bottom bunk is for heavier things like camera bags and coolers.

It is so nice having someplace to just put coats and whatever without having to cram it into a storage area or have it in our way. I have considered pulling the bunks and making a small office area or adding a few rods for clothes. What I'd really like to do is take them out and expand the bathroom.
2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w tilting portable/ TS-MPPT-45
750w solar , TS-MPPT-60 on the trailer
675 Ah bank, Trip-lite 1250fc inverter
Sportsman 2200w inverter generator

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
Like posted by others, you could create a weight/balance problem that could be exacerbated if the BH location is behind the axles. By your posts you sound like you want to do fairly long term outings, if not fulltiming. You'd be surprised how fast stuff (therefore weight) accumulates. Lighten the tongue by loading a lot toward the rear, you'll experience handling issues, and maybe tire/trailer suspension issues. Load the tongue too heavy may cause grief for your TV's rear axle and suspension.Loading an RV is a not unlike loading an aircraft or boat, you don't have obsess over it but do have to give some thought to weight and balance.

md2lgyk
Explorer
Explorer
My wife always considered the bunkroom her walk-in closet. When we were full-timers, I put a closet pole in one of the bunks so she could hang up more stuff. The regular closet in the TT was plenty big enough for me.
"The great object is, that every man be armed. Everyone who is able may have a gun." - Patrick Henry

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
When we was looking for a trailer with hard sides back in 2010 I came up with this idea on what to do with a bunk bed area for this JAYCO X213 model... My idea was to make a OFFICE/COMPUTER/HAM RADIO room in the bunk room area which we really didn't have a need for since there is only two of us using the trailer.

The BUNK BED area is up front on this model...

The top bunk bed shown here would also be removed. As you can see a pretty large area can be made available

The idea was to remove the lower and upper beds and make a 24-inch deep storage area just inside the so-called bicycle door by installing a wall across the bunk room.

The new floor plan would look something like this shown in dark blue.

The OFFICE AREA would consist of one of these L-SHAPED DESK with hutch combos available from Office Depot. The L-side would have to be cut down to fit the depth of the room.

The L-side of the desk setup would house my two 24-inch computer monitors, docking station, and DELL M90 LAPTOP computer. Just snap the portable computer in place and all is active. The hutch area would house all of my Ham radio items. The long 12-depth cabinet that run across the front wall of the bunk room would house all of the Inverters/switches/battery functions etc. Office printer would under the desk tops. All items mounted will have VELCRO strap down installed feature to keep from boucning around when in travel mode.

I Still get a small 22-inch storage room just inside the outside doorway. The clothes ward also has a small outside door which opens up behind the clothes ward as well.

I would use a draw curtain to hide the roll around office chair when not is use.

Looked like a very workable plan for the two of us to have a good office area with full internet access using the Verizon MIFI or the Millenicom Net if more data is needed and be able to still work my Ham Radio items as well...

As it turned out we are still running the roads with the OFF-RoAD POPUP

Just sending along showing what might be done with alittle of thinking effort...

Roy ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

loulou57
Explorer
Explorer
MookieKat...if you do this please show pics.

We have a double bunk in the back corner of our TT. We have loads of room for clothes and food etc. However...hubby thinks it would be great to remove the bunks and add fishing rod holders, hooks for jackets, boots etc. Light storage.

I have heard that the interior fixtures, closets, beds etc. partly support the wall panel structure. I would love to know if this is true

Opie431
Explorer
Explorer
We have a bunk room and seldom use it as a bunk room. We bought it because I knew that we could not live in it during the spring thru fall for weeks at a time without more storage. I wanted it. My husband would have had no idea until he tried to put his clothes away that there was not enough room.
The bunk room has two closets in plus a wardrobe with two shelves, two drawers and extra short closet space. We put boxes on the bunks that hold other things.
If grandchildren are staying with us the boxes go into the rear of the truck.

MookieKat
Explorer
Explorer
Hmmmm....did not know about disrupting the balance....good thing I asked!

Not going full time but I do have a guitar and rebounder. We will be on the road 4-6 weeks at a time. Also a cat traveling with us...thought it might be a good place for the cat and litter box but now we have found a floorplan that we love that does not have the bunkhouse.

It has an island and most of the things that we love. But storage is still a problem for guitar. I cannot keep it out in heat or cold so it needs to stay with us.

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
I too believe you would disrupt the whole balance of the trailer.
I guess you are going full timing, and need to carry all you have. Otherwise. I can't imagine carrying more clothes than I can fit in the closets in our bunkhouse. As it is. I carry all the summer clothes I have, and some winter stuff, just in case.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers