Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Poor handling with new Hankook 19.5's - anyone else?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Poor handling with new Hankook 19.5's - anyone else?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
spotrot

Indian Rocks Beach, FL

View Profile

Posted: 09/01/13 02:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Goodyear G670 rears had rivered badly and had little tread after 33k so I replaced the four with Hankook 245/70R19.5 A11's.

The RV felt really squirmy in the back, like the sidewalls flexed way too much. Turn the wheel to the right and it feels like the rear is sliding to the left.

After 4,000 miles and at different pressures it still feels squirrelly, and my wife agrees (I guess there's a first time for everything).

I had to replace the two fronts even earlier and the replacement Bridgestones felt fine (although they won't win any beauty contest).

Anyone else felt the same with this size Hankook lately?

Thanks

John

Ivylog

Blairsville, GA and WPB, FL.

View Profile

Posted: 09/01/13 02:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Too much air in new rear tires will do this. On a previous MH the dealer put in 120 even though I requested 95 and the back of the MH was all over the place until I reduced the pressure. How much does your rear axle weigh and how much pressure are you running? I recently put 6 new 11R/22.5 AH11 on the rear of my MH and it handles the same as before... very good.

This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.

04 Monaco Dynasty 42' quad slide
Where am I?
How I tow.

spotrot

Indian Rocks Beach, FL

View Profile

Posted: 09/01/13 03:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"Too much air " seems counter-intuitive so I would never have suspected that, but thanks, I'll give it a try.

The dlr did inflate them high (105 psi. I have them now at 95 psi but will drop them to 80 psi.

The tires are so big relative to the load (I believe they use the same ones on 35" moho's and mine is a 30')that the actual load weight is not even on the chart. So I'll try the lowest number on the chart - 80 psi.

Lowering the pressure sounds crazy but I'll give it a try next week when I drive from RI to FL.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Swamp Rat

Helotes, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 09/01/13 03:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I replaced my Mich with Hankook AH11 in May and love them.

mike brez

milford ct

View Profile

Posted: 09/01/13 03:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have 225/70r/19.5 AH11s I found the chart the same. For a single it starts at 80psi for 3,150lb and 80psi for 3,000lb dual. I guess you could always do the chalk test on the tire treads.

1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods

jhilley

Buxton, ND

View Profile

Posted: 09/01/13 04:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have Winnebago Adventurer 38G with the same size Hankook AH11 tires. 90# in front and 85# in rear, handles great.

Once had a problem when we left home below zero. As we were coming down the grade into St George, UT, the first warm weather we hit, it started acting poorly. Spent the night in Mequite, when cool in the morning there was over 100# in the front tires. Let air out down to 90# and handling returned.

2003 Winnebago Adventurer 38G F53 Chassis Solar Power
1999 Winnebago Brave 35C F53 Chassis Solar power
Handicap Equipped with Lift & Hospital Bed
1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport
1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 09/01/13 04:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I replaced the Michelin's on our Southwind with Hankook. No problems, I'll buy Hankook again.

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/01/13 04:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Weigh your rig.
Then get the air pressure chart from Hankok.
Adjust your air pressure according to it.

Bud
USAF Retired
Suzuki XL7 pushing Pace Arrow

Ritglor

Warren, RI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/01/13 05:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Same tires,A11's, on my Voyage for the past 3 years -- no problem. Would buy them again.

Richard

tropical36

Southwest Florida_USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/01/13 05:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

spotrot wrote:

The Goodyear G670 rears had rivered badly and had little tread after 33k so I replaced the four with Hankook 245/70R19.5 A11's.

The RV felt really squirmy in the back, like the sidewalls flexed way too much. Turn the wheel to the right and it feels like the rear is sliding to the left.

After 4,000 miles and at different pressures it still feels squirrelly, and my wife agrees (I guess there's a first time for everything).

I had to replace the two fronts even earlier and the replacement Bridgestones felt fine (although they won't win any beauty contest).

Anyone else felt the same with this size Hankook lately?

Thanks

John

The same and correct size and you are talking about the duallies, correct?

"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Model 6350 on a 1997 Chevy P32
Chassis_7.4 Vortec Engine_4L80E Tranny_slide_tag axle.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Poor handling with new Hankook 19.5's - anyone else?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Good Sam Club | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS