cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

WFCO converter question

taylorga
Explorer
Explorer
I have a WF-8930/50 main board assembly and an wf-9855 converter. I need a new converter and would like know what converter you all would recommend for my system. I have contacted Bestconverter.com and they recommended PowerMax PM4B-60 (60 Amp 4-Stage Converter/Charger).

Has anybody had positive experience with the PowerMax converters.

Greg
10 REPLIES 10

DarthMuffin
Explorer
Explorer
I definitely recommend the Powermax Boondocker. I replaced our functional WFCO converter with one and am very happy. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
ken burke wrote:

I don't think that you would ever use the 60 amp charger, unless you charge with a highout put generator or solar panel. 55 amp is probably too much. I used a 45 amp converter.
ken

I replaced my 55a WFCO with a 35a works fine. Actually better as it is better at switching into boost mode.
If making the swap today I would get the 35a PowerMax MBA replacement.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
WFFCO is, from what I understand, An overseas company...

Progressive Dynamics, a US Company.

I am a strong believer in Progressive Dynamics, the 9200 line is fantastic. I have a 9180 with charge wizard (WHich makes it work just like a 9280) and am very very pleased.

It shoudl fit much like the IOTA, which I'm told is as good as the PDI unit I have.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

ken_burke
Explorer
Explorer
taylorga wrote:
I have a WF-8930/50 main board assembly and an wf-9855 converter. I need a new converter and would like know what converter you all would recommend for my system. I have contacted Bestconverter.com and they recommended PowerMax PM4B-60 (60 Amp 4-Stage Converter/Charger).

Greg

I replaced my WF converter with another WF converter. Direct replacement. It works fine.
It seems like most people here recommend the PM converter over the WF converter.

I don't think that you would ever use the 60 amp charger, unless you charge with a highout put generator or solar panel. 55 amp is probably too much. I used a 45 amp converter.
ken
2011 Ford F-350 6.7 diesel, Crew Cab, LB, SRW, 4X4, White
Cedar Creek 34SB, 37 feet 5th wheel, Reese 20K Hitch
"So many questions, so little time."

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
2manytoyz,
That's a great photo shoot of your conversion! Saludos!

2manytoyz
Explorer
Explorer
The WFCO converters are a known weak point. I'd advise against replacing it with the same.

That said, I bought an Iota charger, which fit nicely in the existing WFCO housing. I simply pulled the guts out of the WFCO, dropped in the Iota.

It works flawlessly. There's no high pitched squeal, like with the WFCO converter. The lights also stay at a constant intensity, despite the loads.

I bought my Iota charger from an eBay dealer. I'm also using a 75A Iota with my solar setup at home. FWIW, these can be used with, or without a battery. Very clean power supply.
Robert
Merritt Island, FL
2023 Thor Quantum KW29
2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TOAD
2023 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon TOAD
Falcon 2 Towbar, Roadmaster 9400 Even Brake System
http://www.2manytoyz.com/

MrWizard
Randy at Best Converter
is very good about making correct recomendations for each install
if you can give him good info about how and when it will be in use

he would rather have a happy customer with good referrals than just sell you the thing that has the most profit margin
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
taylorga wrote:
I have contacted Bestconverter.com and they recommended PowerMax PM4B-60 (60 Amp 4-Stage Converter/Charger).

Is that the deck mount or the main board replacement assembly?

I would tend to get the main board assembly (MBA) rated 55 amps as it should be a direct bolt in replacement. (60 amps shows as a deck mount) Functionally they are the same. Verify fitment of the MBA with bestconverter.com

Powermax MBA
Powermax deck mount

Have only read good things about powermax.

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
taylorga wrote:

Greg

I only have experience w/ PD converters, and swear by them.

Keep in mind, dealers will sell you what they make the most money on.
It was a dealer that sold all those Wfco converters that are now being changed out because they were junk right from the get go.

Your best buy will be off ebay. And limit the size to 45 amps if you ever want to charge w/ a small 1,000 watt generator
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.