cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

7 way power cord

jefffoxsr
Explorer
Explorer
My new truck camper must not have come with a power cord from the manufacturer that goes from the truck camper to the 7 way cord on my truck to power the lights. The dealer constructed one on delivery day and had difficulty doing so. It took him about 90 minutes. As a result, I am not completely confident in the integrity of the cord they constructed

I would like to buy one already made with both ends put together, secured, and weather proofed during manufacture. However, I have done many searches on google, etc. and cannot find the right one. I am likely not using the correct keywords. Male on both ends is easy to find but this one is female on one end and male on the other end.

What is this cable called and where can I get one?

Thanks.
Jeff Fox
23 REPLIES 23

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
Buying the two pieces you linked from Etrailer is going to give you the same thing you already have - at least that's my conclusion based on your pictures.

This end appears to be a sealed / molded connector. Tt is probably a replacement trailer cord with molded conenctor on it, the same as this: http://www.etrailer.com/Wiring/Bargman/54-77-003.html

jefffoxsr wrote:

The other one is a repalcement connectory, because I can see the two pieces: The outer shell and the inner piece which has the screw terminal on the back side, which is the same as this: http://www.etrailer.com/Wiring/Bargman/54-77-003.html

jefffoxsr wrote:
Bob

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
I'm curious as your sig hasn't been updated -what camper did you end up getting?

Well they do make male/male already made up. I'm unclear why if its working you want to make another male/male plug and /or why you don't trust it?
I am also curious why the dealer used 2 different style male ends. Don't know but possibly cord & one end was supplied by camper mfg-other end to be matched to whatever style plug on truck by customer/dealer. Could also be the 90 minutes was having to trace out wiring if camper non standard, which if thats the case an off the shelf pre-made cord might not work (or need re-wiring). were you instructed that one specific end of cord went to camper?
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com

jefffoxsr
Explorer
Explorer
Yes so mine is two male ends. I would like to find one that has two male ends already attached if I can.

I don't think it exists though. So if I bought these two items and connected them would it matter what order the wires are in? I imagine it does and that is my reason for wanting to buy one that is already done.

http://www.etrailer.com/Wiring/Bargman/54-77-003.html

http://www.etrailer.com/Wiring/Hopkins/H20046.html
Jeff Fox

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Those are two different versions of the same MALE connector.

The one with double-contacts (what you probably call "female" is the more expensive/better version. The other is the cheaper version.

Yes, my Palomino and others I've seen, use a male-to-male "patch" or "umbilical" cord. Lance has their own proprietary connector on the camper end, at least in some years.

On the left front corner of my Palomino is a standard POLLACK 7-pin female connector, same as what you install on your truck.

The wiring is non-standard for the lights and whatnot. Why? I don't know. It is not documented in the owner's manual either.

When I picked the camper up, I thought it would be a simple matter to get tail and turn signals for the ride home. The ground is the same, and the right turn signal is the same.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

wittmeba
Explorer
Explorer
jefffoxsr wrote:
Here are the two ends. I called one of them female.

Hard to tell...and sometimes hard to tell in real life :B
NRA Member & supporter of the 2nd amendment - over 5,000,000 strong

Firefoxยฎ 33

Log home images - Updated 05/19/2013

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Jeffoxsr:
Your picture shows two male connectors
The receptacle on the vehicle is a female and one of your cable ends must plug into it. The camper should also have a female receptacle.
Best solution is to buy a long 5er or TT replacement cable with one end made up and buy a separate male cable connector and install it your self.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

FreeLanceing
Explorer
Explorer
I think I too said male when in fact it is a female, however the molded rubber portion goes into a socket therfore it is more of a transvestite type of plug, it could go either way, depending how you look at it. I think what royb refers to is a boat twistlock type connection that is used in the marine industry. You install the plug and give it a 1/8 twist or so to lock into socket. This was designed to keep the dock connect from getting kicked into the water when the drunk boaters stagger home after a night at the yacht club.

jefffoxsr
Explorer
Explorer
Here are the two ends. I called one of them female.
So this is the cord I need.
Thanks.

Jeff Fox

wittmeba
Explorer
Explorer
Ive never looked at the plug on a truck camper but why wouldn't the camper be designed to "plug-in" to the line like any other rv? 50 amp service does not use 2 male plugs but typically have a form of plug on both ends. That seems why the extension posted will work. Just thinking this is the example of the female receptacle that looks like a male plug but isn't. Male-male could be dangerous if it has exposed pins and dropped it on the metal truck bed.

Example - this to me ๐Ÿ™‚ is a male-female.

This page:

http://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/Blue-Ox/BX88206.html?feed=npn&gclid=CKu2vfap-rkCFfA7Mg...
does show a yellow female-female but have no idea where it might be used.

This is all new to me. Im just trying to learn.

Firefoxยฎ 33

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
wittmeba wrote:

I cant imagine why a cord would be designed with a male on both ends. Perhaps its the female connector that looks like a male due to the housing but it is truly a female.

My suspicion is Jeff needs a standard cord. Not sure about how/why Palomino would be any different. Not saying they aren't but doesn't make any sense.

If the camper doesnt have an umbilcal cord it would terminate with a female plug, hence needed male/male-But he did indeed say need an extension cord male x female.
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com

wittmeba
Explorer
Explorer
mkirsch wrote:
It's not necessarily as simple as buying a cord with two male ends.

Palomino, for example, uses a different wiring scheme on the camper-side plug. I had to spend a couple hours with a 12V battery pack and some probes to figure out which pin went to which light on mine.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the "screw on" plug ends. They are very well designed to keep the weather out.

If you're paranoid, just take the umbilical off and put it in the cab of the truck while the rig is parked for long term.

Jeff's comment:

Male on both ends is easy to find but this one is female on one end and male on the other end.

I cant imagine why a cord would be designed with a male on both ends. Perhaps its the female connector that looks like a male due to the housing but it is truly a female.

My suspicion is Jeff needs a standard cord. Not sure about how/why Palomino would be any different. Not saying they aren't but doesn't make any sense.

Firefoxยฎ 33

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
It's not necessarily as simple as buying a cord with two male ends.

Palomino, for example, uses a different wiring scheme on the camper-side plug. I had to spend a couple hours with a 12V battery pack and some probes to figure out which pin went to which light on mine.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the "screw on" plug ends. They are very well designed to keep the weather out.

If you're paranoid, just take the umbilical off and put it in the cab of the truck while the rig is parked for long term.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

wittmeba
Explorer
Explorer
Jeff,

I assume this is what you are referring too. Dont know if they are considered weatherproof but they are factory terminated so they may be better. Never had trouble with mine over about 7 years or so.

http://www.reese-hitches.com/products/7_Way_5th_Wheel___Gooseneck_Trailer_Extension,118664

The second photo posted by RoyB above is my truck ๐Ÿ™‚ . I made my own. It cost me $22.00.

Firefoxยฎ 33

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
trail-explorer wrote:
RoyB wrote:
My trailer side connections use the large YELLOW twist on connectors to make the connection...

I sure don't understand why the electrical personnel at RV manufacturers used such cheesy methods for making wiring connections.

Wire nuts aren't appropriate for use in that type of application. Best bet would be to use crimp connectors.

He said the connections were inside a junction box. I think that's typical termination in a junction box.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk