cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Anyone give me a review on 'B&W's Biker Bar'

afishinado
Explorer
Explorer
On our 2 month+ trip, I see me loading and offloading the Harleys dozens of times... Anyone have THESE?

2006 KZ - 37 my first RV of any kind
06 Dodge 3500 Mega Cab Dually Cummins
Travel 2+ months a year with wife, 2 dogs and 2 Harleys
38 REPLIES 38

dedmiston
JCZ wrote:
....this is how the internet works.

Actually, no it isn't. This is what we call a rare "zombie thread" that had been dead for years and was somehow brought back to life. The forum software is supposed to automatically lock all threads after a year of inactivity. Somehow this one slipped through the cracks.

Please feel free to start a new discussion with any new and relevant links. (The YouTube link in the OP is dead now.)

Thanks,
Dave

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well, they do have some laws about using the FJ1200 and the Interceptor in the manner that they're accustomed to, but mostly you just have to keep your head down. ๐Ÿ™‚ I've got a little over 50,000 miles on the FJ and 40,000 miles on the Interceptor. The FJ and I have been from one end of the country to the other, east to west, north to south. All before the toyhauler. And myriad other bikes before these last two. I haven't missed much of the country.

I did own a 1982 GoldWing for a couple years, but it just handled too badly and was just too darned slow. I did use it to carry my bicycle out to Colorado so I could ride up Mt. Evans, among a few other peaks and passes while I was out there. ๐Ÿ™‚

It's kind of funny: I own a '99 Honda Interceptor and a 1986 FJ1200, the FJ I bought new, and my stepson who just turned 42 owns a 2008 Street Glide. If we're parked somewhere together, everyone always assumes the old phart rides the Harley. LOL

That plate sounds like the best idea to secure the "Biker Bar". It can't be too solidly mounted IMO.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

JCZ
Explorer
Explorer
Appreciate the humor there fj....and thanks a bunch for your thoughts.

The weight of it rocking (as any trailer does) especially at nearly 9 tons loaded. However, I'm just not able to find any first hand experience that has posted negatively or even neutrally. Some of the reviews the guys have pulled thousands of miles....not one review saying it came loose, etc.

Installed the only movement is the movement of the trailer and not the bike...like there is with straps. So the bike is upright in the trailer at all times....no lean.

For my piece of mind, I believe I'd go with a one piece steel plate on the underside and welded to the frame to bolt through to.

P/S.....what's an old man doing on an FJ....don't they have laws against that kind of thing? LOL
It's all about the journey...not the destination!

Full time in our 2017 Grand Design Momentum 376TH pulled by a 2014 Ford F-350 Lariat, FX-4, Dually, Longbed.....

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
My concern with those is not the construction, but the attachment to the trailer. I suppose if you used them in conjunction with a front wheel chock it would be better, but my concern would be the huge rocking forces put in play by that large Harley. That's a lot of weight held in place by a pretty narrow bar. I suppose if you used enough bolts, and bolted to the frame...

I think if I were to use one I would have the chock and straps for the front tire along with the "Biker Bar". Just for my own peace of mind.

I use Condor chocks and tie downs for my Interceptor sport tourer. I'm not old enough for a Harley yet, only 67. ๐Ÿ™‚
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

JCZ
Explorer
Explorer
nayther wrote:
this is a 4 year old thread! Talk about waking the dead!

I wasn't looking four years ago....this is how the internet works.
Stick around, more will be revealed.

Besides, at 66 yrs. old, four years ago was just yesterday! LOL

Full time in our 2017 Grand Design Momentum 376TH pulled by a 2014 Ford F-350 Lariat, FX-4, Dually, Longbed.....

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
this is a 4 year old thread! Talk about waking the dead!
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

JCZ
Explorer
Explorer
afishinado wrote:
On our 2 month+ trip, I see me loading and offloading the Harleys dozens of times... Anyone have THESE?

They've been out for several years now and I've been researching for a couple of days and can not find a negative review.....not even a neutral review....they are all positive.

5 star rating on Amazon and ebay, all the motorcycle forums that I belong to are all positive. The only nay sayers are from people that don't own one and don't have any first hand experience with them.

I've about completed my research and I'm ready to pull the trigger on this set up. Strapping and unstrapping gets really old.

afishinado
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
Forget it.

Yes, that would be wise... But, FYI, the FX models started in 1971. The FXDWG came out in 1979 or 1980

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Forget it.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
First rubber mounted HD's were the FL models in 1980. Dyna's have been rubber mounted since their inception in 1991.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
joebedford wrote:
My 120" EVO bent the crossmember and broke the swingarm. etc.

Didja ever wonder when they first brought out the Dyna that one of the first aftermarket parts was a brace between the engine and the transmission because the mounting and frame were too weak?
It bent the crossmember while you're riding down the road? How exactly did this happen?

Forget I asked, I'm not really interested anyway.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
afishinado wrote:
First of all, when the DYNA was introduced in the early 70's it was the first Harley with a rubber mounted engine
Uhhh, just no.

afishinado
Explorer
Explorer
joebedford wrote:

Didja ever wonder when they first brought out the Dyna that one of the first aftermarket parts was a brace between the engine and the transmission because the mounting and frame were too weak?

First of all, when the DYNA was introduced in the early 70's it was the first Harley with a rubber mounted engine (I happen to have one of those too, a 99 (1st year after the EVO) and the brace was for between the engine and trans. Nothing to do with this post.

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II