cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Question about 50 amp 5th wheel - only 30 amp available

grampscamper
Explorer
Explorer
Booking campgrounds for an upcoming trip. We have a new 5th wheel with a 50 amp service. One of the campgrounds we would like to stay at only has 30 amp available for the days we want to book. We have a single 15k air conditioner. We never use our microwave & can use the propane for hot water. What limitations would we experience? Can we run the air conditioner?
2019 Grand Design Reflection 230RL
2020 Ford F250 Lariat CC SB 4X4 6.7 B&W Companion RVK3300
15 REPLIES 15

grampscamper
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone. Great information. We have the 12 cubic foot RV fridge (no ice maker).
Looks like it draws approximately 2amps so should be 200 - 300 watts.

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:

20 amp: ONE big ticket item, and if you are lucky the fridge, TV optional

Only if you are running the fridge on electric or have a "residential" type fridge. Running on gas uses very little electricity / amps.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
The Rules according to Readdy Kilowatt.

Motor homes and trailers have both big ticket and little ticket lods
Little ticket: TV, Radio, Sat receiver, that kind of thing,
Battery charger/converter if the batteries are near full or full up.

Big Ticket items:
Air conditioners
Microwave
Water heater
Space heaters
SOME converters if the batteries are really really hungry (Depends on make, model and state of charge)

Now Readdy's rules.

20 amp: ONE big ticket item, and if you are lucky the fridge, TV optional
30 amp. 2 Big ticket items except not (usually) 2 air conditioners.
50 amp: all you can eat.

And thats all there is to it.. If you want to be really safe and I DO recommend this,

Get a Surge Protector like the Progressive Energy MONITOR and plug it in (50 amp rig 50 amp surge) keep an eye on the amps. Try to keep 'em below 27
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
Get a "Kill-A-Watt". Keep an eye on your voltage. If it drops below 110, I would turn something off until it went back up to 110+. Most appliances are rated 120v +/- 10%. That means at 108v youare likely to start incurring heat damage to your appliabces, incl AC compressor. You won't notice it until there is enough damage to let the smoke out but it will shorten the life of the AC.

I have a 15k AC and it runs on 30 amp fine but with little else on.

grampscamper
Explorer
Explorer
Tvov wrote:
RoyB wrote:
This is what a typical 50AMP setup looks like when using a RV50A to 30A adapter.

The only thing to worry about is what you can 'ON' at the the same time........

Roy Ken

Thanks for that! That is the first time I've actually seen how the adapter works.

I wasn't sure how it worked either. Appreciate the information. I think the air conditioner uses approximately 20 amps on start up. Leaving 10 amps for everything else. We never use the microwave. The only high usage items we use would be coffee maker & wife's hair dryer. Occasionally we use the toaster. I will turn the air off when using these items & run the hot water off propane. I purchased a 50amp surge guard late last year. It has a display showing voltage & amp usage. Once I get a handle on the demand I should be O.K.
Thanks again.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
A 15k AC will only pull about 14 amps at 95 degrees. Less amps if lower than 95 degrees. The Micro will pull anywhere from 10 to 11 amps and the Water Heater 10.5 to 11 amps. The refer 3.0 amps. The Power Converter about 1 to 3 amps depending on the 12 volt load. Doug

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
TVOV - Do a search on-line for DMBRUSS RV ELECTRICAL ADAPTERS. I really like Mark and Dale BRUSS's descriptions and drawings. NO SHOCK ZONE by Mike Sokol is another good reading spot ONLINE.

Having drawings really helps me as well...

Been a follower for years...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
RoyB wrote:
This is what a typical 50AMP setup looks like when using a RV50A to 30A adapter.

The only thing to worry about is what you can 'ON' at the the same time........

Roy Ken

Thanks for that! That is the first time I've actually seen how the adapter works.

grampscamper
Explorer
Explorer
RoyB wrote:

The only thing to worry about is what you can 'ON' at the the same time.

All circuits in your RV will be powered but you will only have 30AMPs of capacity to use. In your case only one Air Conditioner will operate. Turning on both at the same time will trip the 30AMP breaker on the camp ground pedestal. Running your microwave at the same time the air conditioner is on may also trip the 30AMP camp ground pedestal breaker.

The 30A to 50A dogbone adapter looks like this

You can see the 30A source is paralleled across the two 50AMP 'HOT' side of your 50AMP shore power cable. This routes the 30A Service to both sides of your 50A Power Distribution Panel in your trailer.

Some folks will run another HD extension cord into the trailer that is plugged into the 120VAC 20AMP service at the camp ground pedestal to run some items. Doing this may help not overloading your 30AMP Service.

Always look for a PLAN B haha...
Roy Ken

Thanks. I have a better understanding now. Should be able to manage if we're careful.

Like already stated... just watch for your usage... microwave , hot water heated , hair dryer.. ect... IF you pop the main , turn off the air while cooking or hair drying or whatever... You'll be fine !
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

JamesBr
Explorer
Explorer
Have run on 30A many of times. Just have to be mindful of how much stuff you turn on. But one AC, and using the pedastal 15A for your power needs under the awning makes it easy to manage.
2006 Ford F350 6.0
2014 Primetime Sanibel 3600
Enough other vehicles to not bother listing.

Previous RV: 2001 Monaco Knight

Moved from Forum Technical Support

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II

The only thing to worry about is what you can 'ON' at the the same time.

All circuits in your RV will be powered but you will only have 30AMPs of capacity to use. In your case only one Air Conditioner will operate. Turning on both at the same time will trip the 30AMP breaker on the camp ground pedestal. Running your microwave at the same time the air conditioner is on may also trip the 30AMP camp ground pedestal breaker.

The 30A to 50A dogbone adapter looks like this

You can see the 30A source is paralleled across the two 50AMP 'HOT' side of your 50AMP shore power cable. This routes the 30A Service to both sides of your 50A Power Distribution Panel in your trailer.

Some folks will run another HD extension cord into the trailer that is plugged into the 120VAC 20AMP service at the camp ground pedestal to run some items. Doing this may help not overloading your 30AMP Service.

Always look for a PLAN B haha...
Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

grampscamper
Explorer
Explorer
Wizard 1946 wrote:
You should not have any problems. Just be sure you have a 50 to 30 adapter. We do it all the time at state parks

Thanks Wizard. I do have the adapter. We picked up the 5th wheel late last year & only used it twice. Both times 50 amp service was available. I will go ahead & book.