cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New Over The Tanks Bike Rack on The Front of TT

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
We just finished building a bike rack for the TT. Not many good choices except the Arvika which has a poor website for specs and a really high price. Another option was the Trailer Tray / Bike Bunk but it was pretty pricey for what you get.

Decided, based on an idea from this forum to build our own. We just finished and took it for a short trip to test potential turning problems out and are very pleased.

Purchased the metal bike rack carriers off Amazon and built the rest from 2x4s and 3/4 plywood. It is very stable and can be lifted off the trailer frame and reinstalled without much trouble. Got less than $125.00 ( including the metal racks ) in it not counting my time and effort :).

Trying to post some pics.

32 REPLIES 32

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
dburkard wrote:
The pictures are gone from your post, but I found one referenced on Pintrest and hoped to findout more about how you built this. Would you be willing to msg me?

Daniel

Hi Daniel,
His picture is still there. I suspect you do not have "show images" checked in your preferences. You need to go to "My Forums"(when it is working :R),then to "my preferences" and make sure the check box is checked in front of the statement "show images in posts" or something to that effect.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

dburkard
Explorer
Explorer
The pictures are gone from your post, but I found one referenced on Pintrest and hoped to findout more about how you built this. Would you be willing to msg me?

Daniel

tinstartrvlr
Explorer
Explorer
Well done! Thinking that could be a multi purpose carrier as well for things other than a bicycle? (cooler, storage bin, etc)

Wackypup
Explorer
Explorer

OP here: We sold the TT the rack was made for about a year ago. I can say that after a trip to the Keys and NC mountains before the sale it was holding up good. Bikes very stable on the rack. Only thing I noticed before the sale was the bike racks were beginning to rust. So you may want to spend a few more dollars on a better quality bike rack.

I ordered galvanized tapered stake pockets to build a rack for our new TT. Our bikes were old so we decided to replace them, and we went with the folding bikes on sale at CW that fit nicely in the truck bed, so that eliminated the need for a new rack.

good luck!!!

Thanks for the answer ๐Ÿ™‚ don't know why I never got a notice that you had posted. Just ran across this while I'm STILL looking for a way to get the bikes out of the back of the truck LOL

Liz
2008 189FBR & 2014 FORD F150 Camp Days This Year: 58 ~ 2016: 153
Tons of Creative, Unique and Inexpensive Mods WackyPup.Blogspot.com

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
Hi. I'm looking to get the bikes off my bumper and plan on using the same racks you got off amazon, but mounting them behind my cab. As these racks are designed to be mounted front to back and not side to side, did you notice alot of bike movement from the wind? I'm mounting them as close to the cab as possible from rail to rail to still allow my tonneau cover to be rolled at least half way for bed access. I'm thinking that most of the wind will be blocked/diverted by the cab, anyway.
Thanks,
Eric

I don't think wind moving the bike will be a problem for you. Mine were mounted across the front as you know. I was actually surprised at how little they moved. The racks have straps to hold the wheels down and brackets that clamp onto the frame tightly. Mine were very solid and they were not expensive racks at all. Just be sure the racks are attached to something firm. Good luck

JWRoberts
Explorer
Explorer
Nice job. And there are no aerodynamic problems as others have mentioned because your bikes are in front of the sail. Your mileage will not be effected.

hinkle_e
Explorer
Explorer
Hi. I'm looking to get the bikes off my bumper and plan on using the same racks you got off amazon, but mounting them behind my cab. As these racks are designed to be mounted front to back and not side to side, did you notice alot of bike movement from the wind? I'm mounting them as close to the cab as possible from rail to rail to still allow my tonneau cover to be rolled at least half way for bed access. I'm thinking that most of the wind will be blocked/diverted by the cab, anyway.
Thanks,
Eric

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer

How has this wooden rack held up? I am thinking about doing something similar on my camper. Wondered how long it has lasted and if you had any problems with it.

Thanks!

Liz

OP here: We sold the TT the rack was made for about a year ago. I can say that after a trip to the Keys and NC mountains before the sale it was holding up good. Bikes very stable on the rack. Only thing I noticed before the sale was the bike racks were beginning to rust. So you may want to spend a few more dollars on a better quality bike rack.

I ordered galvanized tapered stake pockets to build a rack for our new TT. Our bikes were old so we decided to replace them, and we went with the folding bikes on sale at CW that fit nicely in the truck bed, so that eliminated the need for a new rack.

good luck!!!

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Very clever solution! Well done.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

Wackypup
Explorer
Explorer
riven1950 wrote:
We just finished building a bike rack for the TT. Not many good choices except the Arvika which has a poor website for specs and a really high price. Another option was the Trailer Tray / Bike Bunk but it was pretty pricey for what you get.

Decided, based on an idea from this forum to build our own. We just finished and took it for a short trip to test potential turning problems out and are very pleased.

Purchased the metal bike rack carriers off Amazon and built the rest from 2x4s and 3/4 plywood. It is very stable and can be lifted off the trailer frame and reinstalled without much trouble. Got less than $125.00 ( including the metal racks ) in it not counting my time and effort :).

How has this wooden rack held up? I am thinking about doing something similar on my camper. Wondered how long it has lasted and if you had any problems with it.

Thanks!

Liz

???2008
?Cruiser FunFinder X ?189FBR & 2014 FORD F150? ๐Ÿ˜„ 153 Nights Camping this year
2008 189FBR & 2014 FORD F150 Camp Days This Year: 58 ~ 2016: 153

kokotg
Explorer
Explorer
Nice! We definitely need to do something like this....hauling bikes in and out of the trailer at every stop is getting really old ๐Ÿ™‚
Camping with 4 boys and 3 dogs in a Jayco Octane Superlite 272
Blogging at Boxy Colonial on the Road

RVcircus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nice job! I've been wanting to make something similar out of steel.
2000 KZ Sportsman 2505 (overhauled & upgraded 2014)
2016 Chevy Express 3500 15 passanger van
6 humans, 2 cats, and a dog
Visit our blog at www.ROWLESmade.com
Our trailer re-build thread

dewey02
Explorer
Explorer
Well after 2 years of thinking about this, I finally did it.
I bought a trailer tray from RVUpgrades for $197 (And free shipping) and a Maxxhaul bike rack from Amazon for about $79 (and Prime free shipping) and built my over the tongue bike rack. When not hauling bikes I can remove the bike rack by undoing 4 bolts and then use the trailer tray to haul something else.

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
bike racks

Here are the racks I used.
The same ones are available on ebay I think. I read the reviews and they were good except cheap hardware, but in my case I did not need the hardware or at least most of it. The racks the tires fit in are pretty sturdy. Locks are a piece of******but I don't need them either. I through bolted the base where the arms that hold the bikes and the rails come together. ( Put spacers under the bracket so the bolts would not bend it when tightened ). Used 1 1/4 deck screws to hold the rails down. It is really solid. I would not want these on top of my car but mounted flat on plywood they are fine, at least for me. No need to spend mega bucks on high dollar racks IMO.

I could not find the stake brackets locally so had to wait on them, keep that in mind if you are doing the same. Be sure to get tapered ones.

Also, a critical point is to carefully trim the bottom of the 2x4 that fit in the brackets. I cut mine a little big and the sanded them to fit with a palm sander. They are really snug and the whole rack fits tight with little movement.