cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Wiring in portable generator

Jerry_B
Explorer
Explorer
I am purchasing a 3300 watt portable genset. The genset will remain in the bed of the truck. Instead of running a long 30 amp extension to the rear of the trailer, how else can I set the system up. Can I merely tie the genset power to each of the panel breakers on the circuits I want energized? The commons and grounds will of course be tied in also. Any ideas? Thanks.
Jerry B
Mobile Suites 36TK3
24 REPLIES 24

j2catfish
Explorer
Explorer
Both sides of the electrical service panel will indeed be powered if hooked up as you state. Howsomever, let me say this about that: you will of course not have 50 amps available, only a total of 30 amps. If you can select which circuits you really need at one time, you can make it work. But don't plan on microwave, air conditioner (or two a/cs), coffee maker, etc at once. My opinion only.
Catfish
K3500; Teton Homes 5er;
Native Texan - Transplanted Tar Heel
Retired USMC Mustang (LDO)
Semper Fi !

Jerry_B
Explorer
Explorer
Don't think so. All I need is a 15 foot 30 amp cord with a TT30 plug at the generator and the other end terminated at the factory installed junction box with the 30 amp breaker. The Genset's black power wire will be connected to both the red and black wires going to the transfer switch. This way both bus sides of the electrical service panel will be energized. No need to drag out about 50 plus feet of 50 and 30 amp cable along with it's inherent IR loss.
Jerry B
Mobile Suites 36TK3

jsikora
Explorer
Explorer
I think what folks are saying is your transfer switch is most likely a 50 amp transfer switch (must be). To use this you would still need a 50 amp cord then a jumper to 30 amp to make it to your genset. Personally if you plan to use a portable generator it should be easier to do what others have already stated. If you have the 50 amp twist lock you could make a smaller jumper cable to go from the generator to the trailer. I did this for my 30 amp one. Just make sure the cable is sufficient to handle 30 amps.
1998 Fleetwood Bounder 30
FORE SALE - 2006 Fleetwood Wilderness 5th Wheel
SOLD - 2010 F-350 PSD Lariet CC 4X4
2000 Jayco Pop Up...The Guest House

Jerry_B
Explorer
Explorer
My system already has an installed transfer switch and work box up front. Ready to go. Just add a couple of wire nuts. All I need is a short 30 amp cable with a TT30 plug for generator tie in. If I used the 50 amp cable, I would still have to add a 30 amp jumper in addition to dragging all that cable around.
Jerry B
Mobile Suites 36TK3

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
RoyB, just wanted to say that that's a great post!

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I too don't follow your logic all that good about not using the shore power cable. Your generator will require a qualified cable going from the generator to the trailer from the truck anyway - might as well use the provided shore power cable. Then you can turn breakers on and off for the appliances you want to run from each generator or shore power source.

My generator sits secured in the tailgate area of my closed and lockable truck bed. I pull it out on the tailgate when I need to use it. I plug in the shore power cable using a RV30A-15A adapter. This works out great for my OFF-ROAD POPUP setup.

Your setup of course is different than mine... You can install a MANUAL OPERATED 120VAC SELECTOR SWITCH beside the Power Distribution Panel to select which 120VAC circuits you want to use for each of the two sources. This idea would work great when using a high wattage INVERTER as a 120VAC power source as well...

Lots of work and will require pulling out romex cables and rerouting wiring...

These photos from google search shows some of this.

The switches come with several stacks of switches (BLUE SEA) Three are shown here...

All 120VAC wiring has to be installed in qualified Electrical Boxes like shown here...

Food for thought - Please follow Standard Electical codes for your mods mainly for those who gets the trailer after you. Got to be safe... The law suits come after something bad happens...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

austinjenna
Explorer
Explorer
Just my opinion, but it sure seems like a lot of work for just not wanting to pull out the cord and plug it in.

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

Jerry_B
Explorer
Explorer
I found the transfer switch finally. It was located (hidden) behind a furnace duct. Now the question is: the genset is 120 vac single phase and the RV is 50 amps . The factory hookup going to the transfer switch is 8ga white, black and red wires. Do I hook up the gensets single hot black wire to both the red and black wires so the split power panel will both receive 120Vs. Thanks.
Jerry B
Mobile Suites 36TK3

Jerry_B
Explorer
Explorer
I have been all over my RV today looking for a transfer switch or the wire terminations. If they did as good as they did hiding my sub woofer behind the fireplace, I may never find it.
Jerry B
Mobile Suites 36TK3

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Jerry B wrote:
Thanks fore the info folks. I discovered today that my Mobile Suites is prepped for a generator. There are misc control wires and also a red,white and black wire in a work box with two breakers. Inside the RV are a hour meter and on/off button. Do I assume that there is also a transfer switch located somewhere as part of the prep package? Can I hook the three power wires to the genset and let her rip?

Jerry, call DRV with your VIN and ask if their gen-prep included the switch. My bet is NO, but DRV is a better company, so they might have not cheaped out on this.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Jerry_B
Explorer
Explorer
Bump please.
Jerry B
Mobile Suites 36TK3

Jerry_B
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks fore the info folks. I discovered today that my Mobile Suites is prepped for a generator. There are misc control wires and also a red,white and black wire in a work box with two breakers. Inside the RV are a hour meter and on/off button. Do I assume that there is also a transfer switch located somewhere as part of the prep package? Can I hook the three power wires to the genset and let her rip?
Jerry B
Mobile Suites 36TK3

Oaklevel
Explorer
Explorer
If you do it use a transfer switch have it installed & pay a qualified electrician to do it. We do not want to read about an RVer's death or their loved ones or a unsuspecting neighbor that brushed up against your trailer. & if your trailer is pluged into shore power you can kill someone down line without the transfer switch, with your generator seen it happen too often.

Easiest way is to just use the RVs cord.

DougE
Explorer
Explorer
You do realize that the prongs on your trailer power cord with be exposed and electrically hot! Not a good situation.
Currently Between RVs